Please Evaluate My Dubai Job Offer

Topic locked
Please evaluate my Dubai job offer Oct 16, 2008
I've been offered a sales position at a new real estate firm launching soon in Dubai.

I am from the US, and have work experience in real estate in India.

The offer is for 1000 GBP a month. Shared accommodation and transportation are included, and of course there will be a commission on sales.

Is this a feasible offer, or would I be silly to accept it?

My concern is as follows: from what I can tell by reading others' posts on this forum, 1000 GBP will not go a long way in Dubai. However, having accommodation and transportation provided should be worth quite a bit. Still, for food, mobile, hygiene, entertainment, and random expenses, 1000 GBP doesn't seem like it will go very far, especially considering the fact that the company is just launching and will have to build a name in the industry before commissions start rolling in. Therefore I will probably have to survive on my salary for a few months before I start getting any commission.

What are average prices for a month of groceries, and for a sales person's mobile phone? What other expenses have I not anticipated?

Also, to those who are kind enough to respond: please tell me how long you have lived in Dubai, or if you are no longer there, how long you did live there and when you left.

Thanks a million!

Pregunta
UAE, Dubai Forum starter

Oct 16, 2008
British Pound Exchange
Rate UAE Dirham Bid Ask
1000 Oct 16 6.3545 6,354.4917

Dear Pregunta according to my calculation above on todays date you will be receiving around 6, 354 UAE Dirhams. While as I know living in Dubai will cost much more you imagine. If you can make around 8 to 10,000 UAE Dirhams a month then it will be a piece of heaven. But over all to start work with a new company may lead you to a very good future indeed. So do not hesitate to accept this offer and also get my CV (lols) as I always wish to work in Dubai anywhere.

Thanks and with very best wishes.

-Kamran Mahmood
Asst. Program Officer
CIS Lahore. Pakistan.
barish70 at gmail dott comm
kkmm
Dubai Forum User

Oct 16, 2008
Agreed, the salary is pathetic.
Don’t get me started on “shared accommodation” this ranges from two people sharing to 18 people sharing.
Transportation could mean anything from a company bus to giving you cab fare!
Additionally, given the recent slump in the international property market, and the shaking up it has caused of the local property market (and the possibility of a recession) I can imagine times are going to be exceptionally tough selling or re-selling property, if your income is supposed to be largely based on commission I would suggest passing on this opportunity.
dbxsoul
Honored Member

Oct 19, 2008
I also agree the salary is pathetic. I have done much research on this as I will be going to Dubai in january to work as a real estate agent (I'm from Canada). I also agree that "shared accomodations" could turn out to be a nightmare, so beware.

If you have some experience or some kind of degree in real estate you could probably get 10k-12k basic + car +phone +0.5% commission (and if im not mistaken i think it's supposed to go up soon) on the sales you make, and most real estate agencies will pay a bonus if you reach your targets. Last week, Macdonald and Company published their 2008 Middle East Salary Survey, and it showed that people in the business of selling/leasing real estate earned on average 641 000 dirhams including bonuses. Check for yourself if you don't believe me.

DXBSOUL: I disagree that times will get very hard selling real estate. Dubai is a place where lots of people come and go, move around, buy investment property, and so on. There are always lots of transactions happening, and that's all a real estate agent needs to make money. We'll lose some commission on every sale, but I don't think the overall earnings will drop significantly. There's also the fact that you need a license to sell real estate now, so all freelancer will be forced off the market. Just look at the number of uncompleted and upcoming projects in Dubai; someone's gonna have to sell those buildings.

Of course in the short run it might look scary with everything that's happening, but i prefer to keep a 10 year outlook on things, and I think that in 10 years Dubai will be a successful, rich, and happening megalopolis, even more than it already is.
Pimpin80
Dubai Forums Enthusiast

Oct 29, 2008
^
"Just look at the number of uncompleted and upcoming projects in Dubai; someone's gonna have to sell those buildings. "

Yes, you are right... but what are you going to do when you have 1000 condo's to sell, and not 1 buyer to sell it to? How per-say will you make your 'commission'. ?

Harsh reality. A night drive down to Dubai marina will show 2 lights on in each high rise building. The rest of the condos have no-one living in them. It is a buyers market. Every buyer has a choice of 1000 places to choose from... dont fool yourself into thinking you will be able to make a lot of money in real estate. The developers on the other hand...

Cheers, from dubai.
dresden
Dubai chat master

posting in Jobs in DubaiForum Rules

Return to Jobs in Dubai