Muay Thai / Kickboxing In Dubai ??

Topic locked
Muay Thai / Kickboxing in Dubai ?? Nov 19, 2007
Hello,

I am 28yr old male, new(ish) to Dubai and am wondering if there are any Muay Thai or Kickboxing classes that a COMPLETE BEGINNER could attend?

I am interested in mainly keeping fit / conditioning as since I arrived here I have done NO exercise at all! Bad eh!

Can you help please?

Jace1979
Dubai Forum Visitor

Nov 19, 2007
Hi Jace.

There are three places in Dubai which you should check out: The Colosseum Gym; Dubai Fight Academy and Top Sports.

The Colosseum Gym is located in the Montana building, Karama. The muay thai lessons are taken by a guy called Edi. Nice, and very massive, Iranian chap. The Colosseum Gym puts on amateur thai-boxing contests every so often. Website: http://www.colosseumuae.com/profile.asp

Dubai Fight Academy is located in Al Shabab Club, all the way over by Al Mallah Plaza (actually just past it). The club is run by a bunch of Russian guys. They actually have a stable of professional muay thai fighters - all from Russia and Dagestan. They recently put on two professional muay thai competitions in Dubai. Their website: http://www2.fightacademy.ae/

Lastly, a Samoan guy called Zak is teaching muay-thai at Top Sports in Al Quoz, just a stone's throw away from MOE. They don't have a website yet but their telephone number is 04 3407688.

All three places are very, very legit.
burton
Dubai forums Addict
Location: meanstreets of satwa, outside your mosque, stealing your shoes...

Nov 19, 2007
Ah thanks for the info!

Are they 'beginner friendly'?

And do you know of any that are closer to Dubai Marina?

Thanks
Jace1979
Dubai Forum Visitor

Nov 19, 2007
Jace1979 wrote:Ah thanks for the info!

Are they 'beginner friendly'?

And do you know of any that are closer to Dubai Marina?

Thanks

Ah, Dubai Marina...

In that case, Top Sports would be the best option. I mean, you can definitely forget about the other two because they are way far from you...

However, you might also want to check out a guy called George Micouris:

Venue: Le Meridien Mina Seyahi Beach Resort
Tel: 04 399 3333

Classes: Sat from 6:30pm & Mon from 8pm.
Entry Fees: Dhs 30 (non-members). Dhs 20 (members)

http://www.minaseyahi.lemeridien.com

George is a professional thai-boxer..
burton
Dubai forums Addict

Nov 19, 2007
Of course, if you were interested in something a little different, you could always try our very own group of Filipino Martial Arts here in Dubai:

http://www.dubaiforums.com/viewtopic.php?t=22500

Got any questions, just contact DaWarrior!

:D
burton
Dubai forums Addict

Nov 19, 2007
Thanks for the useful information.

How comes you know so much about this stuff?

Thanks again,
Jace1979
Dubai Forum Visitor

Nov 19, 2007
Jace1979 wrote:Thanks for the useful information.

How comes you know so much about this stuff?

Thanks again,

I box and thai-box, and I have trained at all three clubs.
As I said, they're all good. But Zak @ TopSports is really good.

Without a doubt, he will give you the best cardio workout in Dubai...
burton
Dubai forums Addict

Nov 19, 2007
Which in your opinion would be better for a beginner like myself? Top Sports with Zac or Le Meridan with George?

Cheers mate
Jace1979
Dubai Forum Visitor

Nov 19, 2007
Jace1979 wrote:Which in your opinion would be better for a beginner like myself? Top Sports with Zac or Le Meridan with George?

Cheers mate

Honestly bro - go with Zak.
I understand your concern about being a beginner, but a good teacher is not going to push you until you puke. Having said that, there is no point going to some half-hearted class where you hardly break a sweat either..

Zak is phenomenal. He's trained the Ghanaian national team and some of his fighters have entered K1. He is now the head coach for the Dubai White Collar Boxing Event - the last one held on Friday actually...

The cardio is extremely intense, I am not going to lie. But as a beginner, he won't kill you. Instead, he'll just get you to reach the very best of your limits each time...

He is a seriously good guy too. Trust me, there's none of this shouting at studdents rubbish. This is boxing/thai-boxing. 'Informal' atmosphere but very rewarding too. I mean, we have a terrific laugh too..

Do you get me?

:lol:
burton
Dubai forums Addict

Nov 19, 2007
I gets you!

Sounds exactly the kind of place i am looking for!

I will pop down there tomorrow and have a look around.

Top man
Jace1979
Dubai Forum Visitor

Nov 22, 2007
Burton,

Just an update mate.....

Went down Top Sports last night. The place is exactly what im looking for and Zac does seem a really nice guy. First session tonight! oh dear.... aching muscles tomorrow i think!
Jace1979
Dubai Forum Visitor

Nov 22, 2007
Jace1979 wrote:Burton,

Just an update mate.....

Went down Top Sports last night. The place is exactly what im looking for and Zac does seem a really nice guy. First session tonight! oh dear.... aching muscles tomorrow i think!

Nice one mate!
Am glad you went. Yep, you will be needing some TLC
this time tomorrow morning! Better put the missus on stand-by...

:lol:
burton
Dubai forums Addict

Nov 22, 2007
Ha! already have buddy!
Jace1979
Dubai Forum Visitor

Nov 22, 2007
I mentioned that you had put me onto him and he asked me who you was. Obviously i was a little stumped!
Jace1979
Dubai Forum Visitor

Nov 22, 2007
Jace1979 wrote:I mentioned that you had put me onto him and he asked me who you was. Obviously i was a little stumped!

Pmed you.
burton
Dubai forums Addict

Dec 07, 2007
Hello,
I am from the U.S. and it looks like I might be moving to Dubai sometime next year. I've been taking Muay Thai and Grappling for the past few months and was wondering if there is anyplace in Dubai that offers MMA under one roof.
Thanks in advance for your help.
motojet
Dubai Expat Wannabe

Dec 22, 2007
many thanks to burton for his informative post, see I live in Satwa and all I could find on the net before i stumbled upon this board was the the fightacademy in al waheda, just way off and not doable considering the traffic.

Went down to Top Sports this evening, great training!

Again thanks for the reply burton!
prs78se
Dubai Expat Wannabe

Jan 06, 2008
hi guy, if youre interested in personal training i have one muay thai pro fighter coming to my house on saturday and friday for 2 hours session. price is quite stiff but well worth it. ive seen edie from colleseum gym and his training is like boot camp with very few techniques. :lol: post if your interested.
xero_
Dubai forums Addict

Jan 09, 2008
missed your post...

interesting, what are his rates ?
prs78se
Dubai Expat Wannabe

Jan 15, 2008
xero_ wrote:hi guy, if youre interested in personal training i have one muay thai pro fighter coming to my house on saturday and friday for 2 hours session. price is quite stiff but well worth it. ive seen edie from colleseum gym and his training is like boot camp with very few techniques. :lol: post if your interested.

Hi xero.

I sent you a pm. I would be interested to know who your trainer is.

Thanks.
burton
Dubai forums Addict

Jan 15, 2008
Does anyone know of any clubs that have Brazilian Jiu-jitsu classes in Dubai?
motojet
Dubai Expat Wannabe

Jan 15, 2008
motojet wrote:Does anyone know of any clubs that have Brazilian Jiu-jitsu classes in Dubai?

Is that Capoeira?

8) 8) 8)

Knight
Dubai Knight
UAE, Dubai Forums Lord of the posts

Jan 16, 2008
No, actually Brazilian Jiu-jitsu is an offshoot of Jiu-jitsu. Basically its the the moves you see on the ground during a UFC or MMA competition. I was hoping that there would be some places in Dubai that teach it. Abu Dhabi has
a big tournament every year with people all over the world competing. So I was thinking maybe there would be some schools in Dubai.
motojet
Dubai Expat Wannabe

Jan 16, 2008
motojet wrote:Does anyone know of any clubs that have Brazilian Jiu-jitsu classes in Dubai?

Check out the Art of Power Center gym found at the top floor of Al Hana Centre in Mankhool Road, Satwa. They also teach Kung-fu.
DaWarrior
Dubai Forums Enthusiast

Edi or Reo Feb 18, 2008
Hi All,

I am going to join Muay thai at Colosseum gym ,but there are 2 coaches
Edi azad and Reo ,please suggest me whom should i select as a trainer...

Here is there website:

http://www.colosseumuae.com/teamprofile.asp

:?
mrinalsingh53
UAE, Dubai Forum starter

Kickboxing class in Dubai (Mauy Thai) Nov 06, 2008
motojet wrote:Hello,
I am from the U.S. and it looks like I might be moving to Dubai sometime next year. I've been taking Muay Thai and Grappling for the past few months and was wondering if there is anyplace in Dubai that offers MMA under one roof.
Thanks in advance for your help.

Muay Thai (kickboxing) is also known as 'The Science of Eight Limbs' as the hands, feet, elbows and knees are all used extensively in this art.

Part martial art, part workout, this class will help you build strength, agility, and confidence as you learn the basics of Thailand’s national sport. This class will teach you the basic skills of Thai boxing, including punching, holds, knee and elbow strikes, and both offensive and defensive kicking, as well as movement and overall defense. Combining boxing-style circuit training with skill development in one of the world’s most devastating martial arts, this class will get you “fighting fit.”

Full member of S.I.M.T.A Sitnarong International Mauy Thai Association. Kitsana - under Master Sken.

Kru Jay. Wai 055 636 6301

Muay Thai class's private and group class.
jaycom22
UAE, Dubai Forum starter

Nov 07, 2008
More likely known as the science of 8 hospital trips!

Can I bring a gun?

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Knight
Dubai Knight
UAE, Dubai Forums Lord of the posts

Nov 07, 2008
Dubai Knight wrote:More likely known as the science of 8 hospital trips!

Can I bring a gun?

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Knight

no more trips to hospital for the opponent.. :lol:
sharfraz
Dubai chat master

Muay Thai for female? Jul 16, 2009
Hi there,

I am a 25 year old female also new ish to Dubai. I know this is a relatively old posting but it's the closest I could find to finding a good muay thai gym here.

It seems that this Top Sports place is best to go to, it also conveniently to my work place. Just wondering if it is female friendly at all? I'm not bothered so much if there aren't any females there, but it helps when the guys don't all look down at you as soon as you enter the class! I'm not a pro as I've trained on and off for about 2 years but would still consider myself a beginner.

Any advice on this would be excellent.

thanks in advance.
riley29
Dubai Forum Guest

Jul 16, 2009
Hi there,

I am a 25 year old female also new ish to Dubai. I know this is a relatively old posting but it's the closest I could find to finding a good muay thai gym here.

It seems that this Top Sports place is best to go to, it also conveniently to my work place. Just wondering if it is female friendly at all? I'm not bothered so much if there aren't any females there, but it helps when the guys don't all look down at you as soon as you enter the class! I'm not a pro as I've trained on and off for about 2 years but would still consider myself a beginner.

Any advice on this would be excellent.

thanks in advance.
riley29
Dubai Forum Guest

posting in Dubai Sports ForumForum Rules

Return to Dubai Sports Forum