Living With The Opposite Gender In Dubai

Topic locked
Living with the opposite gender in Dubai Oct 15, 2006
Do you have to be married or engaged if you want to live with a member of the opposite gender in the UAE? If so what is the burden of proof?

When I move to Dubai permanently I’ll most likely do that with my girl friend what gives?

alwayssuperstylin
Dubai Forums Member

Re: Living with the opposite gender in Dubai Oct 16, 2006
Do you have to be married or engaged if you want to live with a member of the opposite gender in the UAE?

Definitely you have to be married, not just engaged. There is a UAE law for this, it is not strictly imposed but to be on the safer side get married first or dont live in together. :wink:
zam
Dubai Master of Thread Hijackers

Oct 16, 2006
Moving to Dubai puts a terrible strain on relationships, I wouldn't just get married for the sake of appeasing some antiquated local law that is enforced as much as the speed limit on SZR is.
^ian^
UAE, Dubai Forums Lord of the posts

Oct 16, 2006
Well, all it takes is for a pissed off neighbour or someone to tell the authorities that you are living together without being married, and boom, you have trouble. Also, if you end up conceiving a child out of wedlock, that present problems because the woman will be put in prison for giving birth out of wedlock.
kanelli
Miss DubaiForums 2006

Oct 16, 2006
kanelli wrote:Well, all it takes is for a pissed off neighbour or someone to tell the authorities that you are living together without being married, and boom, you have trouble. Also, if you end up conceiving a child out of wedlock, that present problems because the woman will be put in prison for giving birth out of wedlock.

Well... don't go pissing off your neighbours then?

I don't see the point in getting married for the sake of the law here. The options are:

(1) Bend the rules.
(2) Live Separatley
(3) Get Married and run the risk of forcing your relationship to the next level too quickly.
(4) Don't come here.

If you feel the time is right to get married, do it. Don't do it because you want to move to Dubai together though.
^ian^

Oct 16, 2006
Its a Islamic Country!!! So you have to respect the law...You cant call it antiquated now can you!!!
I believe there are various laws in different parts of the world that are far more antiquated than this.....
devilsdiciple
Dubai Expat Helper

Oct 16, 2006
devilsdiciple wrote:Its a Islamic Country!!! So you have to respect the law...You cant call it antiquated now can you!!!
I believe there are various laws in different parts of the world that are far more antiquated than this.....

An atiquated law is one that is rarely enforced, not necessarily one that is old.

One could say the speed limit on SZR is antiquated, as per my context.

I understand is is a country governed by Shariah law, but at the same time, if they're going to be picky about the laws they enforce and the way they enforce it, I wouldn't break out into sweat over it.

There's the FOAF stories you here, and the PR leaked to the Gulf News to dissuade people from doing it, and then there's what really happens.

Having said that, if you're going to live in Sharjah, you may as well not come, because farting there will get you deported.
^ian^

Oct 16, 2006
^ian^ wrote:Moving to Dubai puts a terrible strain on relationships, I wouldn't just get married for the sake of appeasing some antiquated local law that is enforced as much as the speed limit on SZR is.

No Pain No Gain dude :lol:
Bleakus
Dubai Forums Zealot

Oct 16, 2006
kanelli wrote:Well, all it takes is for a pissed off neighbour or someone to tell the authorities that you are living together without being married, and boom, you have trouble. Also, if you end up conceiving a child out of wedlock, that present problems because the woman will be put in prison for giving birth out of wedlock.

thats why "Love Thy Neighbor" is important dude ;)
Bleakus
Dubai Forums Zealot

Oct 16, 2006
^ian^ wrote:

Well... don't go pissing off your neighbours then?

I don't see the point in getting married for the sake of the law here. The options are:

(1) Bend the rules.
(2) Live Separatley
(3) Get Married and run the risk of forcing your relationship to the next level too quickly.
(4) Don't come here.

If you feel the time is right to get married, do it. Don't do it because you want to move to Dubai together though.

i agree with you dude, in the last line makes so much sense

you rule dude ;)
Bleakus
Dubai Forums Zealot

Oct 16, 2006
I never once recommended that people get married just to come to Dubai, I was simply telling some facts about the risks of living here unmarried. Does anyone plan to piss off their neighbour (or coworker or anyone else?)

It is only common sense that people get married because they feel ready to do so, not because they want to live in some other country together and that is the rule there. For some couples, they are pretty much ready and deciding to move to Dubai gives them the final push to do it. Some people do come here and live together happily unwed and flying below the radar, only to get married later because a baby has come along. There are many reasons that cause people to marry and even the carefully planned marriages have only a 50-50 survival rate - so each couple should just do what they feel is right.

If you want to come to Dubai and live together unmarried, which is illegal here, then go ahead. Just be aware of the possible consequences, as rare as they may be.
kanelli
Miss DubaiForums 2006

Oct 16, 2006
kanelli wrote:I never once recommended that people get married just to come to Dubai, I was simply telling some facts about the risks of living here unmarried. Does anyone plan to piss off their neighbour (or coworker or anyone else?)

It is only common sense that people get married because they feel ready to do so, not because they want to live in some other country together and that is the rule there. For some couples, they are pretty much ready and deciding to move to Dubai gives them the final push to do it. Some people do come here and live together happily unwed and flying below the radar, only to get married later because a baby has come along. There are many reasons that cause people to marry and even the carefully planned marriages have only a 50-50 survival rate - so each couple should just do what they feel is right.

If you want to come to Dubai and live together unmarried, which is illegal here, then go ahead. Just be aware of the possible consequences, as rare as they may be.

very well said dude
Bleakus
Dubai Forums Zealot

Oct 16, 2006
kanelli wrote:I never once recommended that people get married just to come to Dubai, I was simply telling some facts about the risks of living here unmarried. Does anyone plan to piss off their neighbour (or coworker or anyone else?)

I never once said you did. :?
^ian^

Thanks Oct 16, 2006
There is no freakin way I’m gonna get married to move there with my girl friend. So I’m kissing my neighbors asses, and living low profile to avoid being given lashes or something. As messed up as it seems, it’s the law of the land, and we’re simply visitors so I’d rather respect the law that the Arabs feel is suited for their country. I’ve seen some retarded laws on my travels overseas, this is just a little more extreme than I’m accustomed to.

BTW: This forum rocks. Thanks for your input.
alwayssuperstylin
Dubai Forums Member

Oct 16, 2006
Since most of us are just visitors and/or expats of this country, let's live by the laws of this land. if not, u can leave anytime you want. "immorality" is not tolerated here, and i believe the government is doing their best to preserve their customs etc..i came from a country wherein living in is tolerable, but since i am in a country that dont allow such...so i might as well behave and be a law abiding tourist of this land, otherwise i have the choice to leave.

if you are the host of the country and here comes the foreigners, visitors etc who dont want follow the rules and even question the laws of your land, how you will feel? got it??????
asc_26
Dubai forums GURU

Oct 16, 2006
asc_26" "immorality" is not tolerated here, and i believe the government is doing their best to preserve their customs etc..

yeah right , I didn’t know that prostitution is moral? :shock: :shock: but obviously they can tolerate well with it !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1 :evil: :evil:
Corcovado
Dubai Forums Veteran

Oct 16, 2006
Hey girl, cool down a little, you'll scare asc that way...ehehe give her/him the thumbs up, he/she just wants to promote the right thing... :lol:
zam

Oct 16, 2006
zam wrote:Hey girl, cool down a little, you'll scare asc that way...ehehe give her/him the thumbs up, he/she just wants to promote the right thing... :lol:

He is living in La La land my dear, I just hate the double standards in this city :x
Corcovado
Dubai Forums Veteran

Oct 16, 2006
Corcovado wrote:
zam wrote:Hey girl, cool down a little, you'll scare asc that way...ehehe give her/him the thumbs up, he/she just wants to promote the right thing... :lol:

He is living in La La land my dear, I just hate the double standards in this city :x

their great arent they? ;)
Bleakus
Dubai Forums Zealot

Oct 16, 2006
Bleakus wrote:
Corcovado wrote:

who?
Corcovado
Dubai Forums Veteran

Oct 16, 2006
Corcovado wrote:
Bleakus wrote:
Corcovado wrote:

who?

sorry misspell ;)

They are great arent they? the double standards your talking about ;)
Bleakus
Dubai Forums Zealot

Oct 16, 2006
dont worry zam im not scared. how many hotels and places were raided because that place promotes promiscuity and/or prostitution? most if not all, foreigners bring prostitutions here not the locals :-) well u might not know about this because this kind of things are not in the daily paper.

i am not trying to be morality upright. the thing is, let's behave and follow the laws of the host country. if u hate double standards, then leave ASAP..it's easy man...no hard feelings..cheers! or shall i say, lets do immoral things just dont get caught! hahaha..

If you want to be safe be GOOD!
asc_26
Dubai forums GURU

Oct 16, 2006
No way!
Do not tell me that I can't live together with my boyfriend!!!! :shock: :shock: :shock:
What kind of circumstances may we face? Will they deport us from a country? Or just give us a warning?
Also, who is going to check if we are married or not?
AnnaSvensson
Dubai Forums Talker

Oct 16, 2006
AnnaSvensson wrote:No way!
Do not tell me that I can't live together with my boyfriend!!!! :shock: :shock: :shock:
What kind of circumstances may we face? Will they deport us from a country? Or just give us a warning?
Also, who is going to check if we are married or not?

nahh, just the casual beheaded punishment ;)

j/k dude
Bleakus
Dubai Forums Zealot

Oct 16, 2006
Corcovado wrote:
asc_26" "immorality" is not tolerated here, and i believe the government is doing their best to preserve their customs etc..

yeah right , I didn’t know that prostitution is moral? :shock: :shock: but obviously they can tolerate well with it !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1 :evil: :evil:

Prostitution puts money in their pockets. And last time I checked, locals enjoy the prostitution scene quite a lot. So I find it quite amusing that they claim they're trying to preserve "morals". Should've recorded the last time I had dinner at Le Meridien near the airport. Didn't know there was a bar famous for "it" and well I saw a couple locals leave the bar with 4 blondes and get in their nice S-Class Mercedes.

Hurray for morals.
Nick81

Oct 16, 2006
well my friends got deported after serving 3 months in jail for illicit relationship (bf-gf or relationship outside marriage). if no complains against you then u can get well with it.. so be careful>>>>

If you want to be safe be GOOD![/quote]
asc_26
Dubai forums GURU

Oct 16, 2006
Ok seriously how do they check?? You can be living together but not together!! I mean do you have to be in bed to be caught.
sara_uk
Dubai Forums Veteran

Oct 16, 2006
Guys, don't scare people off by telling them rubbish.

OK, the way I've always seen it, you're perfectly fine to live with your partner here, most couples do it. The government turn a blind eye to western couples.

You just have to get one of you to put the lease in your name, not both.

The only reason you'd get into trouble is:

a. You're muslim couple, or one of you is muslim and you annoyed your neighbours and they shopped you to the police.

b. You annoyed someone and they wanted to shop you to the police.

Vitrually everyone I know lives with their other half unmarried, there's very few issues.

Oh (sorry Bleakus), but to put it as the locals do, if you don't like the double standards of the UAE, then you can always leave :wink:
Chocoholic
Miss DubaiForums 2005

Oct 16, 2006
Chocoholic wrote:Guys, don't scare people off by telling them rubbish.

Oh (sorry Bleakus), but to put it as the locals do, if you don't like the double standards of the UAE, then you can always leave :wink:

thats why your are the dude, dude ;)
Bleakus
Dubai Forums Zealot

Oct 17, 2006
Nick81 wrote:
Corcovado wrote:

Prostitution puts money in their pockets. And last time I checked, locals enjoy the prostitution scene quite a lot. So I find it quite amusing that they claim they're trying to preserve "morals". Should've recorded the last time I had dinner at Le Meridien near the airport. Didn't know there was a bar famous for "it" and well I saw a couple locals leave the bar with 4 blondes and get in their nice S-Class Mercedes.

Hurray for morals.

Great point Nick! I just laugh when I hear the Muslims say that it is the "foreigners" (a.k.a. Westerners) who bring the prostitutes with them. What a load of bollocks.
kanelli
Miss DubaiForums 2006

posting in Dubai RomanceForum Rules

Return to Dubai Romance