A Little Advice Please :)

Topic locked
A Little Advice Please :) Dec 08, 2010
Hello,

I've been in Dubai for a while now, and have failed to meet interesting people. It seems that I keep meeting the same shallow persona in different people,especially with girls. I've never been the type of guy who's only interested in sex. I aim for long-term, serious relationships, and although I'm 22, I still prefer a deep, warm relationship to a one-night-stand. Meeting a girl with a fair amount of intellect in Dubai has thus far been impossible. Those who do have that are older than me and are looking for someone with a job, and those my age are quite pathetic; typical shallow "OMFG!" kind of girls, if you know what I mean. I'm not saying that's how girls my age are, just that I only seem to meet those types. So, to conclude, I was wondering if there are any common interest clubs, book clubs, or any places/gatherings where I can meet intellectual girls.

Thank you in advance for your replies, and I apologize if I offended anyone; I have no intentions of doing so.

Icenic
Dubai Forums Frequenter

Re: A Little Advice Please :) Dec 08, 2010
This aint a dating forum man, Prepare to get flamed by the mods
zubber
Dubai Forums Veteran

As the saying goes "people don't come to Dubai to make friends".
Flying Dutchman
Dubai Forums Zealot

I'm not asking to strictly find a date, I'm asking to find girls with a little more brain than the ones I've met. If anything develops from there so be it, but I just want to meet some intellectuals. Also, I'm trying to find social clubs/gatherings in hope to meet such girls. I hope the mods don't flame me for that.

As much as I can understand that saying, try spending 2 years in Dubai without friends. I'm a university student trying to meet some interesting people to help stimulate my mind. It's very hard to cope on your own in this country, and I'm just looking for a group of people to help make the upcoming year more bearable.
Icenic
Dubai Forums Frequenter

u said your 22 , there is a well known saying "young dumb and full of cum" every heard of it ?
zubber
Dubai Forums Veteran

That's exactly what I'm saying I want to avoid. There is much more depth in life, and age should not restrict the will to expand the mind.
Icenic
Dubai Forums Frequenter

Icenic wrote:age should not restrict the will to expand the mind.

For that matter, the se.x of the person also shouldnt matter. Anyways, I don't agree with you, men in general take more time to mature then women, so you should probably be looking for a girl a few years younger than you. Considering the fact that you think that only women can intellectually stimilute you, increases the suspicion that you are just a kid. You say you are a uni student and donot see people around you that can challenge you intellectually. Well, if you can't find them at your uni, you cannot find them anywhere else in Dubai.
Flying Dutchman
Dubai Forums Zealot

I never said that only women can intellectually stimulate me. I have another post in another section inviting anyone to a conversation over a cup of coffee. I only posted the women version here, since this is the romance section. Also, since you were so keen you point out that I didn't mention gender in my post, I will point this out
I'm just looking for a group of people to help make the upcoming year more bearable.

I didn't say strictly women, I said a group of people. That includes both genders. I'm getting tired of the "women mature faster than men" argument being used by every other person. Yes it is true to a certain extent, but there are also men who mature faster than women. I feel more mature than my age because I seem to fit in amongst people much older than me, therefore it is difficult to find girls my age who I can connect with, let alone younger.
Icenic
Dubai Forums Frequenter

Greetings Icenic,

Unlike the other members who have commented on your post, I did not see it as an open dating request as I did actually 'read' it rather than skim through. Also, being a Mod, I would not have shot you down unless there was a blatant breach of protocols, which there was not.

Anyway, in answer to your question: There is not really any one place or set of clubs or associations where you might find suitable mental stimulation, unless you are devotee of chess in which case your friends will probably have trousers that are too short, wear white socks and sandals, wear pebble glasses and have a face so spotty it looks like an accident in a pizza factory.

You have to examine the demographic of the region a little deeper. Many of the brighter students may well have been able to gain access (or have suitably wealthy parents) to European or North American universities and would far rather gain their degrees at an educational institution that will carry more weight when it comes to trying to climb on the slippery job ladder. So the gene pool you find yourself in may be a little closer to primordial soup than you would like. That leaves you with 2 choices:

a) Dumb yourself down to their level (not an option I would hope)
or b) find yourself a group of friends who may possibly be older and wiser than you. The issue then becomes one of social acceptability as such groups tend to be dismissive or shun someone if they are significantly less wordly wise.

Look at the kind of things you either like to do now or, in an ideal world, would really like to do. Once you decide that, it should identify the types of activities you can become involved with and there is very likely someone doing that here. Then track them down and join in! Invariably, the cameraderie that tends to build around a mutually like minded group of devotees will ignore any age or gender barrier. There are plenty of references to activities in Dubai and you can use the search function in this forum to find them quite quickly.

Unfortunately, activites such as curling, needlepoint, being an astronaut or being a Mod (talking about the kind who ride Vespa scooters covered in wing mirrors, wear parka jackets and beat each other up on the beach at weekends rather than someone who administers the content on this forum) are kind of under subscribed in Dubai at this juncture!

Hope that starts you off and that you find that holy grail.

8) 8) 8)

Knight
Dubai Knight
UAE, Dubai Forums Lord of the posts

Hahahaha!! I enjoyed your advice on so many levels, and I think you have it spot on when it coms to the Dubai situation. Thank you so much for your advice, and I will be walking down the (b) path, since the (a) one would probably end with my brains on a wall!!
Icenic
Dubai Forums Frequenter

Re: A Little Advice Please :) Jan 16, 2014
That's good!!!
i enjoy your advice for business.

Thanks
ramkeshplt
Dubai Forum User

Re: A Little Advice Please :) Jan 16, 2014
Icenic , if this topic is still relevant for you I can provide you some information about interest clubs in Dubai ))

1. AUD Debate club.
The AUD Debate Club is about practicing the art of debating. Training is provided for anyone who wants to improve on their debating and public speaking skills. The club provides a platform for individuals who wish to become an active part in society through voicing their opinions. The Club has won several awards at debate and public speaking competitions.
contacts: adc@clubs.aud.edu https://www.facebook.com/AUDDebateClub

I played in debates in my school age in my native town and can say that it's a real thing to develop your mind, speaking skills and make new intellectual friends :)

2. AUD International Aid
The AIA Society reaches out to others and encourages community service. Club members work with and for various charities based internationally and in the UAE. Activities include fund raising and raising awareness about various projects, countries, and communities in order to assist those in need.

http://www.aud.edu/ExternalRelations/CivicEngagement.asp

3. Cinematopia Club

A place to facilitate students interested in film and film making. The club intends to bring together students who are interested in all aspects of film making, as well as offering the AUD community films of artistic and intellectual value.
The club is organized by the students of Mohammed Bin Rashid School of Communications (MBRSC). Films are shown weekly and discussions are held at the conclusion of the film by students and faculty. In addition, students produce film projects together.

4. EPyC - Emirates Photography Club
It is a photography group started by Amr, Lloyd and Mo.There is a regular group meeting twice a month, held on alternating Tuesdays, with a rotating agenda.
http://www.meetup.com/emiratesphotoclub/

Good luck in your search :D
raintear
Dubai forums Addict

Re: A Little Advice Please :) May 26, 2014
Wow! I was just reading the post and was so confused at the end of it! But OMG @ Dubai Knight you were awesome! You have such a brilliant insight! Thanks!
CrazyMovieholic
Dubai Forum Guest

Re: A Little Advice Please :) Aug 13, 2014
LOL This thread is hilarious....
AsianinUS
Dubai Expat Wannabe

posting in Dubai RomanceForum Rules

Return to Dubai Romance