Wife Beating: Ok If You're Not A Muslim?

Topic locked
Wife Beating: Ok if you're not a Muslim? Dec 31, 2011
If easily offended by facts and the exposure of made-up stories about Muslims, or indeed if you are allergic to reading about what Christian scripture says about women, and the facts on domestic violence - please do yourself a favour and not read the article below from the Independent (UK) newspaper.

If you do read are offended, please try and refrain from any 'whataboutery' arguments - but please feel free to post any made up story that you think is true. It may have some comedic value. ;)

The rest of you should find his examples of made-up stories quite funny - and a good use of comedy to make a serious point. (The article is from July 2008, but relevant given recent threads and made up stories.)

Mark Steel: Wife-beating? That’s fine – unless you’re a Muslim

The Sun newspaper has come over a bit modest. Following a Channel 4 documentary about media reporting of Muslims, the paper accepts some of its stories were “distorted”. But they’re not doing themselves justice. They weren’t distorted – they were entirely made up. For example, a story about a Muslim bus driver who ordered his passengers off the bus so he could pray was pure fabrication.

But if reporters are allowed to make up what they like, that one should be disciplined for displaying a shocking lack of imagination. He could have continued, “The driver has now won a case at the Court of Human Rights that his bus route should be altered so it only goes east. This means the 37A from Sutton Coldfield will no longer stop at Selly Oak library, but go the wrong way up a one-way street and carry on to Mecca. Local depot manager Stan Tubworth said, ‘I suggested he only take it as far as Athens but he threatened a Jihad, and a holy war is just the sort of thing that could put a service like the Selly Oak Clipper out of business’.”

Then there was a story about “Muslim thugs” in Windsor who attacked a house used by soldiers, except it was another invention. But with this tale the reporter still claims it’s true, despite a complete absence of evidence, because, “The police are too politically correct to admit it.” This must be the solution to all unsolved crimes. With Jack the Ripper it’s obvious – he was facing the East End of London, his victims were infidels and he’d have access to a burqua which would give him vital camouflage in the smog. But do the pro-Muslim police even bother to investigate? Of course not, because it’s just “Allah Allah Allah” down at the stations these days.

Maybe Muslim newspapers should retaliate by publishing their own made-up stories. So it will be reported that “Barmy PC teachers in Leicester have banned children from playing Noughts and Crosses, claiming the cross reminds Church of England kiddies of the suffering undertaken by Lord Jesus. A spokesman for the Board of Education said, ‘We have to be sensitive. Which is why we’ve replaced the game with ‘Noughts and Hexagons’. We did look into calling it ‘Noughts and Crowns of Thorns’ but decided Hexagons was more appropriate.”

Or, “Doctors have been told that patients are no longer to be referred to as ‘stable’, as this is offensive to followers of Jesus, who was said to have been born in one. So medical staff have been informed they must use an alternative word, or if they can’t think of one just let the patient die.”

The most common justification for ridiculing Islam is that the religion is “backward”, particularly towards women, as a fundamental part of its beliefs. The Sun’s old political editor suggests this as a defence of his newspaper’s stance, saying that under Islam, “women are treated as chattels”. And it’s true that religious scriptures can command this, such as the insistence that, “a man may sell his daughter as a slave, but she will not be freed at the end of six years as men are.” Except that comes from the Bible – Exodus, Chapter 21, verse 7.

The Bible is packed with justifications for slavery, including killing your slaves. So presumably the Sun, along with others who regard Islam as a threat to our civilisation, will soon be campaigning against “Sunday Schools of Hate” where children as young as seven are taught to read this grisly book. And next Easter they’ll report how, “I saw a small child smile with glee as he opened a Cadbury’s egg filled with chocolate buttons. But behind his grin I couldn’t help but wonder whether he wanted to turn me into a pillar of salt, then maybe sprinkle me on his menacing confectionary treat.”

In his defence of making stuff up, the Sun’s ex-political editor spoke about the amount of domestic violence suffered by Muslim women. But there’s just as much chance of suffering domestic violence if you’re not a Muslim, as one of the 10 million such incidents a year that take place in Britain. Presumably the anti-Islam lobby would say, “Ah yes, but those other ones involve secular wife-beating, which is not founded on archaic religious customs, but rational reasoning such as not letting him watch the snooker.”

And finally the Sun’s man defends the line of his paper by saying that, after all, these Muslims “are trying to bomb our country”. So it’s their civic duty to make stuff up – the same as keeping a look-out for spies during the Second World War.

So we should all do our bit, and every day send in something, until the press is full of stories like “Muslims in Darlington have been raising money for semtex by organising panda fights.” Or “In Bradford all nurseries have been ordered to convert their dolls’ houses into miniature mosques so that Muslim teddies have somewhere to pray.”

http://www.independent.co.uk/opinion/co ... 62898.html

Cheers,
Shafique

shafique
Dubai Shadow Wolf

Re: Wife Beating: Ok If You're Not A Muslim? Dec 31, 2011
I fail to see the humour in suggesting wife beating is acceptable in any walk of life.

If you had been subjected to violence of any kind you wouldn't treat it so light heartedly.
Bethsmum
UAE, Dubai Forums Lord of the posts

Absurd at least, placing comic value on wife beating.
Flying Dutchman
Dubai Forums Zealot

Did either of you actually read my warning at the top, or the article itself?

No one is making fun of wife beating - quite the contrary. What is being made fun of is stories which are being made up about Muslims.

Cheers,
Shafique
shafique
Dubai Shadow Wolf

Your topic title put me off. Is that is your attempt to get one over on non-muslims? It was at it's best, pathetic.

Domestic abuse, whether physical or mental, should not be belittled in any way. There are women suffering at the hands of abusive partners every day.

It makes little odds to me what religion people are. Domestic abuse is wrong.
Bethsmum

Definitely behavioral correction when employed with the use of a little force is very effective
uaehop
Dubai Forums Member

Shaf, in mainstream Western culture, wife beating is no joking matter!
Flying Dutchman
Dubai Forums Zealot

uaehop wrote:Definitely behavioral correction when employed with the use of a little force is very effective

I'd like to put you in the ring with my ex husband.
Bethsmum

Re: Wife Beating: Ok If You're Not A Muslim? Jan 01, 2012
Flying Dutchman wrote:Shaf, in mainstream Western culture, wife beating is no joking matter!

That is why the author and I don't joke about wife beating. You should have read both the warning and the article. I hope you learn the lesson for next time - don't jump to conclusions.

But then again, perhaps you found some statement in my post or the article that made light of wife beating? If so, please quote it. Otherwise it may appear that you have just constructed another strawman (a fictional issue, an informal fallacy based on misrepresentation of an opponent's position).

Cheers,
Shafique
shafique
Dubai Shadow Wolf

shafique wrote:But then again, perhaps you found some statement in my post or the article that made light of wife beating? If so, please quote it.

Wife Beating: Ok if you're not a Muslim?
Bethsmum

In what way is that question a joke or making fun of or making light of wife beating?

Had you read the article, you'd have seen Mark is only making fun of made up stories about Muslims - and only doing so to make a serious point about the stories that are made up (and how some people want to believe these stories).

Cheers,

Shafique
shafique
Dubai Shadow Wolf

shafique ,

What on earth possessed you to entitle a topic 'Wife Beating: Ok if You're Not A Muslim?' ?

Wife beating is not acceptable whether you are a Muslim or not! You should be ashamed of your weak and pathetic attempt of trying to get one over on non Muslims by suggesting wife beating is acceptable.
Bethsmum

LOL.

Rather than going off on one of your tangents - why don't you spend less time imagining things and more time reading what is actually posted.

This thread is all about silly things that are made up about Muslims - so I guess your posts are on topic, even though it is unintentionally so.

Cheers,

Shafique
shafique
Dubai Shadow Wolf

So now my claim that 'wife beating' is an unsuitable title for your attempt to try to get one over on non Muslims is funny.

I can assure you that wife beating in any walk of life is as unfunny as you can get. :roll:
Bethsmum

You only have yourself to blame if you make up reasons to be annoyed BM. IF the article was making fun of wife beating rather than pointing out that silly things are made up about Muslims, you'd have a point. As it doesn't, you don't.

(The title is as per the article - I just changed the word 'fine' to 'ok')

Cheers,
Shafique
shafique
Dubai Shadow Wolf

shafique wrote:LOL.

Nope, not funny. You are socially awkward.
Flying Dutchman
Dubai Forums Zealot

Re: Wife Beating: Ok If You're Not A Muslim? Jan 02, 2012
FD - I get the impression that you didn't even read the article. You are therefore just trolling and offering your usual selective quotes and diagnoses of the posters. :roll:

But let's get this thread back on topic and help those who didn't read the article and think Mark Steel was making light of the incidents of domestic violence in the UK.

It is about the media making up false stories about Muslims, something that is much more prevalent on the web sites and blog sites that eh (and Herve and his alter egos) likes to quote as fact in most of his threads.

Cheers,
Shafique
shafique
Dubai Shadow Wolf

Bethsmum wrote:Wife Beating: Ok if you're not a Muslim?

He is being sarcastic, and trying to show bias in the media. For example:
In his defence of making stuff up, the Sun's ex-political editor spoke about the amount of domestic violence suffered by Muslim women. But there's just as much chance of suffering domestic violence if you're not a Muslim, as one of the 10 million such incidents a year that take place in Britain. Presumably the anti-Islam lobby would say, "Ah yes, but those other ones involve secular wife-beating, which is not founded on archaic religious customs, but rational reasoning such as not letting him watch the snooker."
Nucleus
Dubai Forums Veteran

Nucleus - you're right.

However, it is more than just bias - his point, and examples, are of stories that were total fabrications.

Fortunately I think this is less the case in mainstream media, but certainly fabricated stories are still to be found on blog sites etc.

Cheers,

Shafique
shafique
Dubai Shadow Wolf

Nucleus wrote:He is being sarcastic

Then he should stick to the day job as he doesn't do 'funny' or 'sarcasm' very well at all.
Bethsmum

shafique wrote:However, it is more than just bias - his point, and examples, are of stories that were total fabrications.
You are right, it is more than bias.
Nucleus
Dubai Forums Veteran

Bethsmum , I take it what you are trying to say is that your ex husband was not sane , mentally unstable people are prone to violence, long term alcohol abuse does lead to dementia
uaehop
Dubai Forums Member

uaehop wrote:I take it what you are trying to say is that your ex husband was not sane , mentally unstable people are prone to violence, long term alcohol abuse does lead to dementia

You've lost me Uaehop
Bethsmum

Re: Wife Beating: Ok If You're Not A Muslim? Jan 03, 2012
Bethsmum wrote:Then he should stick to the day job as he doesn't do 'funny' or 'sarcasm' very well at all.

Mark Steel's day job is indeed being a comedian - he's a stand up comedian and also writes articles (and Nucleus was quoting him when he informed you he was being sarcastic). Your fail is many fold, dear granny. :D

It all goes to show, you should have heeded my warning and not bothered replying - especially as it seems you didn't (yet again) read and understand the post. Sigh.

Cheers,
Shafique
shafique
Dubai Shadow Wolf

shafique wrote:Your fail is many fold, dear granny.

That's a sure sign that you're losing it Sunshine!

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Oops I'd better watch my step! The next thing is that you'll be having another go via my daughter..

Cheer up Shafique! Tomorrow's another day :D
Bethsmum

I'm glad your smiling - but when you say a comedian should stick to his day job, that was a monumental fail.

You've only got yourself to blame, I warned you not to read. I should have warned you not to comment if you hadn't read it.. I'll remember this for next time. :D :D

Thanks for the laugh, deary.

Cheers,

Shafique
shafique
Dubai Shadow Wolf

shafique wrote:Thanks for the laugh, deary.

Just remember...it's not at you. it's with you!

You'll survive. Just pick yourself up, dust yourself off and start all over again.
Bethsmum

posting in Dubai Politics TalkForum Rules

Return to Dubai Politics Talk