Why Staying Here ? Answers Required

Topic locked
why staying here ? answers required Jan 05, 2009
yeah , I noticed from the earlier thread " Shocking racisms in Dubai" that expats should really think about it now, if you guys arent happy in dubai and complain about every little thing why staying here? leave some room for others to come and experience it, leave some space for UAE citizens have thier share of the pie.

if i was an expat i will be sticking a UAE flag on me everywhere I go.

mesheditor
Dubai Forums Talker

Jan 05, 2009
Good idea, but i think a shirt with a print-on " I LOVE DUBAI" will do it.
TheChoosen
Dubai Expat Helper

Jan 05, 2009
Because I can drink for free most nights of the week. I get preferential treatment for lots of stuff. I earn lots of money, I have a maid, a car washer, a dog walker.

What's not to like?!

(PLease note, for people that do not have to capacity to understand sarcasm and irony, please take this opportunity to be introduced to it and look it up - www.google.com - search - sarcasm and irony! Enjoy!)
Chocoholic
Miss DubaiForums 2005

Jan 05, 2009
sarcasm is a concept that utilizes irony.

For example, if a girl takes an especially long time to get ready as her date patiently waits for her, when she finally emerges, her date might remark with a deadpan tone "Well, you certainly don't take long to get ready."

well, what a knowledge I gained today!!!
Mahmoud04
Dubai chat master

Jan 05, 2009
It's a beautiful thing!
Chocoholic
Miss DubaiForums 2005

Jan 05, 2009
well, name a girl that doesn't think that!!!! :angel9: :angel9:
Mahmoud04
Dubai chat master

Jan 05, 2009
Chocoholic wrote:Because I can drink for free most nights of the week. I get preferential treatment for lots of stuff. I earn lots of money, I have a maid, a car washer, a dog walker.

What's not to like?!

(PLease note, for people that do not have to capacity to understand sarcasm and irony, please take this opportunity to be introduced to it and look it up - www.google.com - search - sarcasm and irony! Enjoy!)

Sarcasm aside, why aren't u leaving?
muslimbangladeshi
Dubai chat master

Jan 05, 2009
muslimbangladeshi wrote:
Chocoholic wrote:Because I can drink for free most nights of the week. I get preferential treatment for lots of stuff. I earn lots of money, I have a maid, a car washer, a dog walker.

What's not to like?!

Sarcasm aside, why aren't u leaving?

she would man but she has a duty to save humanity here then she'll leave but to where next will remain mystery.
She is part of the western media directed to Muslims and Arabs .and UAE is a juicy place for here type. they can't with stand others being successful, over coming them, they just have to do something about it. and may I add use all here bo…..I mean resources to do so.
uaekid
Dubai Master of Thread Hijackers

Jan 06, 2009
What I find interesting is that the Media and some people in some Western countries accuse migrants of just keeping to themselves and not putting efforts to integrate into the local culture.

But from what I’ve been hearing from my friends in the Gulf is, Westerners are mainly interact with their fellow Westerners and mainly live in compounds that reside by their in-group.

I am not trying to pick up on anyone, but this forum is for dialogue and understanding. So, isn’t it pure hypocrisy to not do what you preach?

How many of you have exerted an effort to learn something about the local culture or can speak Arabic, be honest when answering. Or only the rule apply to others but not you.

I’ve read an article about how English speaking countries’ people have to at least learn some other languages to survive in our globalize world, because so many people nowadays from non-English speaking countries have the same skills and education, plus can speak English fluently as well other some other languages. This phenomenon is happening in China, India etc, and even in some Western countries. The company I work for hired a Chinese worker mainly because she can speak English as well as a Chinese
Humbleman
Dubai forums Addict

Re: why staying here ? answers required Jan 06, 2009
mesheditor wrote:yeah , I noticed from the earlier thread " Shocking racisms in Dubai" that expats should really think about it now, if you guys arent happy in dubai and complain about every little thing why staying here? leave some room for others to come and experience it, leave some space for UAE citizens have thier share of the pie.

typical arab behaviour. "if u don't like racism or local attitude, leave"
gafoorgk
Dubai forums Addict

mesheditor wrote:yeah , I noticed from the earlier thread " Shocking racisms in Dubai" that expats should really think about it now, if you guys arent happy in dubai and complain about every little thing why staying here? leave some room for others to come and experience it, leave some space for UAE citizens have thier share of the pie.

Lemme tell you something my friend. I have respect to Uae, Dubai. the rulers the laws and everything. i am born in dubai and basically this is my home country.

But on the other hand, Dubai is a good place for expats, and basically the reasons are because natives aren't enough in numbers and qualifications to take over oppurtunity that expats with qualifications and experience have that natives wont provide. Expats here are the gears for this machine to run. Many of you want to kick the expats out. then you would have a great hell of a machine but a very hollow one.

I dont want to generalize. i have met locals here that are very over qualified, and have amazing credentials to their courier, but with all my respect to them and the rest of the nationals. they can only be counted on your fingers.

Once again im not generalizing im talking about sepecific problems and in order im bringing specific examples.

Just wanted to say... That in the end of the day.. im staying here because i want to.. but im staying here because the country here lacks native qualifications that they had to bring me from overseas. pay for my bills, food. accomodation, transportation.. and plus all that give me a fantastic salary...

Thanks :) Hope sometime soon the average native standard will be up to the competition
waelsalem
Dubai Forum User

gafoorgk wrote:

What, you get to be kidding me. I currently live in a Western country and travelled to few over the years. And I’ve heard the same exact phrase over and over again, ‘If migrants can’t integrate or like our ways of do things then why they can’t get out of our country”, from Radio talk back to TV programs to local people.

You see, the beautiful thing about living in a different country is that, it helps us to experience what foreigners usually experience in our own country. I guess we are blind to our own mistakes until we see the same mistakes done to us by others.

It’s funny how we tend to be oblivious to our own mistakes but judgemental and disapproval others’ mistakes.

I agree racism is unacceptable and the good way to eliminate or at least to reduce it is to directly address its cause
Humbleman
Dubai forums Addict

oh Jan 06, 2009

What's not to like?!

Preferential treatment !? are you a pimp or something ?
mesheditor
Dubai Forums Talker

waelsalem wrote:

Lemme tell you something my friend. I have respect to Uae, Dubai. the rulers the laws and everything. i am born in dubai and basically this is my home country.

But on the other hand, Dubai is a good place for expats, and basically the reasons are because natives aren't enough in numbers and qualifications to take over oppurtunity that expats with qualifications and experience have that natives wont provide. Expats here are the gears for this machine to run. Many of you want to kick the expats out. then you would have a great hell of a machine but a very hollow one.

I dont want to generalize. i have met locals here that are very over qualified, and have amazing credentials to their courier, but with all my respect to them and the rest of the nationals. they can only be counted on your fingers.

Once again im not generalizing im talking about sepecific problems and in order im bringing specific examples.

Just wanted to say... That in the end of the day.. im staying here because i want to.. but im staying here because the country here lacks native qualifications that they had to bring me from overseas. pay for my bills, food. accomodation, transportation.. and plus all that give me a fantastic salary...

Thanks :) Hope sometime soon the average native standard will be up to the competition

Fair enough, I really appreciate your straight to -the-point response. Here is what I think and please don’t take this personal, UAE doesn’t really require those complicated- high tech- NAZA like jobs as many would be thinking. Not at all , we don’t manufacture cars or space shattls etc. UAE now has some sophisticated national endeavors beyond your imagination, mainly, focused on security ,aerospace , IT and business , I got a cousin who is hired by a Japanese oil company in Japan “ , expats left no room for him right here, the same dood got 2 sisters working as doctors in the US, and you can guess the reason..
I am confident that within your own field and everyday as you walk in your very own company, you could see how many unnecessary emoployees around that can be replaced by Nationals or atleast useful expats.. Where I work for example, we’ve got some high ranks expats and I look at them asking myself “ what the hella these people doing here “ they are good for nofin my friend, if you went back to the 80’s you may say that we don’t have enough folks to run some of the industries, but right now , we truly do but you need to dig deeper beyond Dubai, and time is coming for the government to better manage its resources.
I know why are you staying here, and I would do the same if I were you, I will stick around and enjoy the benefits and make my relatives, family and friends enjoy it too, I was just saying that for the UAEs sake, let’s not complain and moan about every little thing here outrageously, blaming the government and the systems for a legacy of the cosmopolitism, again we are the systems, we form it, and perpetrate it’s negatives, We “both Nationals and Expats”.
mesheditor
Dubai Forums Talker

Jan 06, 2009
Of course i do agree to your points.. i know and i have met... and frankly i am very impressed with the numbr of locals that i have met lately... and u can expect a very bright future and these people will be future leaders of multi national organizations.. that are dubai based.. but in the end of the day... you cannnot pull out the expats.. u might have some reasons to replace them with a local and u think that the local will do the job 100%.. and i agree with you... but we are talking about a very specific critieria of locals that i have full respect to them.. and i see that these guys/gals will have an amazing bright future.. but the sad story that these people we talk about make 20% of the youngsters or the work group... plus if u wanna make it fair? let the locals and expats get the same salaries. and make a competition on the line. and let the locals prove them selves.

i am talking this to you from my experience.. i have been raised between locals went to schoo and i went with them to university.. and not many of them are keen to take the ladder all the way from down.. and many of them aren't happy with certain positions.. and many of them dont like it when they have an arab as their manager or western or even an Indian as their manager and all...

i dont generalize.. and i wanna make sure i dont... there is a percentage of locals.. that can go anywhere around the world and can excel and carry the name to the top.. but the majority is laid back.. and doesn't stand up to competition.. and thats where expats come and fill the gaps.. and still i say it.. that without the expats in this country... is like burj dubai with first 20 floors and last 20 floors.. and in the middle there are tooth picks.. very solid base.. very high aim and goal... but in the middle there is nothing to support.

and take it easy.. dont take me as attacking.. in the end of the day this is my home country.... im not attacking or defending anyone.. i am just talking my opinion looking from the case outside the box...

and it is great to hear about your cousins in Japan and US... thats really great to hear about their acheivement.. wish them all their success in their future and yours too
waelsalem
Dubai Forum User

Jan 06, 2009
man, they'll keep arguing about it to get you to a point which you can't with stand.. they only get throw heads what they want to get throw their heads nothing else and their are plenty of people around this forum who deliberately ignite the unreasonable flam.
uaekid
Dubai Master of Thread Hijackers

mesheditor wrote:
waelsalem wrote:

Fair enough, I really appreciate your straight to -the-point response. Here is what I think and please don’t take this personal, UAE doesn’t really require those complicated- high tech- NAZA like jobs as many would be thinking. Not at all , we don’t manufacture cars or space shattls etc. UAE now has some sophisticated national endeavors beyond your imagination, mainly, focused on security ,aerospace , IT and business , I got a cousin who is hired by a Japanese oil company in Japan “ , expats left no room for him right here, the same dood got 2 sisters working as doctors in the US, and you can guess the reason..
I am confident that within your own field and everyday as you walk in your very own company, you could see how many unnecessary emoployees around that can be replaced by Nationals or atleast useful expats.. Where I work for example, we’ve got some high ranks expats and I look at them asking myself “ what the hella these people doing here “ they are good for nofin my friend, if you went back to the 80’s you may say that we don’t have enough folks to run some of the industries, but right now , we truly do but you need to dig deeper beyond Dubai, and time is coming for the government to better manage its resources.
I know why are you staying here, and I would do the same if I were you, I will stick around and enjoy the benefits and make my relatives, family and friends enjoy it too, I was just saying that for the UAEs sake, let’s not complain and moan about every little thing here outrageously, blaming the government and the systems for a legacy of the cosmopolitism, again we are the systems, we form it, and perpetrate it’s negatives, We “both Nationals and Expats”.

wow!

don't u want to grow boy ?! learn the basics and look up.
gafoorgk
Dubai forums Addict

waelsalem wrote:

mesheditor
Dubai Forums Talker

Jan 06, 2009
gafoor, are you here in dubai ? looking back at your statement about Arabs makes me wanna puke.
mesheditor
Dubai Forums Talker

Jan 06, 2009
mesheditor wrote:gafoor, are you here in dubai ? looking back at your statement about Arabs makes me wanna puke.

well....... u can do that if that's what u want to do by knowing the truth.

also review your own comments. in your last post u r basically saying "i don't want to grow up. i just want to stay where i am and live just the way i live now"
gafoorgk
Dubai forums Addict

Jan 06, 2009
UAE government has to ensure that its citizens have the priority to jobs if they meet the jobs’ criteria, just like what other smart governments do around the world. In Australia and New Zealand, if citizen meet jobs’ criteria then companies must employ the citizen first.

However, I think its imperative that the UAE attracts the world’s brightest, and at the same time, work as hard to speed up its citizens’ readiness to replace these skilful people. These people will go back home sooner or later, it’s a matter of time, but UAE people are the one who will have to take care of their country’s future and development.

I am really happy to see Emiratis aiming for high achievements – it’s about time.
Humbleman
Dubai forums Addict

hater Jan 06, 2009
gafoorgk wrote:
mesheditor wrote:gafoor, are you here in dubai ? looking back at your statement about Arabs makes me wanna puke.

also review your own comments. in your last post u r basically saying "i don't want to grow up. i just want to stay where i am and live just the way i live now"

You are obviously an Arab hater and that is just fine with me, but I doubt that you have the same attitude in front of one.

I am a grown up enough just by not responding to ur crap in earlier threads... I am blessed for not having to deal with guys like you in reality neither able to understand your gibberish about us.
mesheditor
Dubai Forums Talker

Re: hater Jan 06, 2009
mesheditor wrote:
gafoorgk wrote:

You are obviously an Arab hater and that is just fine with me, but I doubt that you have the same attitude in front of one.

I am a grown up enough just by not responding to ur crap in earlier threads... I am blessed for not having to deal with guys like you in reality neither able to understand your gibberish about us.

come on........... did i ever say i hate arabs ? i DO hate their attitude just like the one u r showing now. (also check the attitude of uaekid) i'm just pointing out the facts i see in my daily life through MY eyes. u r taking the criticism in a negative manner instead of positive and reply with craps.

it's really time to listen from around yourself instead of forcing your commands onto others.
gafoorgk
Dubai forums Addict

Jan 06, 2009
you don't have to say that you are an Arab hater, and accept it as my viewpoint about you. remember that you always say that we are not taking the criticism positively yet you think you do!

all I am trying to portray here is that you are an Arab hater and have already reflected so by saying " oh typical arab attitude and grow up etc, if you really want people to accept and respect your criticism ( feedback) just respect others openions too.

you could have elaborated on the contents of the very first thread rather than personal bashing and stuff like that.. so shut the hell up and move on
mesheditor
Dubai Forums Talker

Jan 06, 2009
mesheditor wrote:you don't have to say that you are an Arab hater, and accept it as my viewpoint about you. remember that you always say that we are not taking the criticism positively yet you think you do!

all I am trying to portray here is that you are an Arab hater and have already reflected so by saying " oh typical arab attitude and grow up etc, if you really want people to accept and respect your criticism ( feedback) just respect others openions too.

you could have elaborated on the contents of the very first thread rather than personal bashing and stuff like that.. so shut the hell up and move on

lol........ ok dear. u also spoke for yourself.
gafoorgk
Dubai forums Addict

Re: why staying here ? answers required Jan 07, 2009

-How can we leave if some Companies are withhelding our passports and refuse to give us a yearly vacation? answers required
Slayer666
Dubai Forum User

Jan 07, 2009
Humbleman wrote:What I find interesting is that the Media and some people in some Western countries accuse migrants of just keeping to themselves and not putting efforts to integrate into the local culture.

But from what I’ve been hearing from my friends in the Gulf is, Westerners are mainly interact with their fellow Westerners and mainly live in compounds that reside by their in-group.

I am not trying to pick up on anyone, but this forum is for dialogue and understanding. So, isn’t it pure hypocrisy to not do what you preach?

How many of you have exerted an effort to learn something about the local culture or can speak Arabic, be honest when answering. Or only the rule apply to others but not you.

I’ve read an article about how English speaking countries’ people have to at least learn some other languages to survive in our globalize world, because so many people nowadays from non-English speaking countries have the same skills and education, plus can speak English fluently as well other some other languages. This phenomenon is happening in China, India etc, and even in some Western countries. The company I work for hired a Chinese worker mainly because she can speak English as well as a Chinese

Thanks brother for pointing out this truth.

I have been trying to tell this, but you stopped me by saving the ungrateful Western immigrants in Dubai.

If you, (Western nonmuslims) dont like it, and don't allow either freedom of religion, equal opportunity due to racial, religious, national etc biases, you should expect the same.

you should be expected to adap to the local customs and not wander around in bikinis or other brash display of incestuous, lascivious, promiscuous or lewd behaviour.
muslimbangladeshi
Dubai chat master

gafoorgk wrote:

typical WESTERN (nonarab, nonmuslim) behaviour brother

ALL WESTERN countries demand this of any thing foreign to them, on grounds of religion, race, nationality, language, culture etc
muslimbangladeshi
Dubai chat master

waelsalem wrote:

You made a mistake.

Nobody is talking about expats en masse, only those whiny unruly expats who are mostly Westerners who despise Muslims and Islam and want to think they are superior to us, who back in their home countries dont enjoy any of the luxuries they do in Dubai (otherwise they wouldn't be in Dubai, in the first place), who want to see every form of perversion, moral turpitude, corruption, indecency, lascivious, lewd, drunkard, immoral behaviour that they are used to back home - are the ones we want to see expelled.

They can leave voluntarily, make room for locals and like-minded foreigners. The misunderstandings and cultural clashes will be minimized Inshallah if like minded foreigners arrive in Dubai.

Ma'assalam brother.
muslimbangladeshi
Dubai chat master

Jan 07, 2009
uaekid wrote:man, they'll keep arguing about it to get you to a point which you can't with stand.. they only get throw heads what they want to get throw their heads nothing else and their are plenty of people around this forum who deliberately ignite the unreasonable flam.

Either kick them out of the country (we must contact the government of Dubai to trace all the DK, Chocoholics and like minded foreigners).

Or you have to accept their disruptive and troublesome behaviour. It's very hard to accept the latter option.
muslimbangladeshi
Dubai chat master

posting in Dubai Politics TalkForum Rules

Return to Dubai Politics Talk