Tunisia: President Zine Al-Abidine Ben Ali Forced Out

Topic locked
Tunisia: President Zine al-Abidine Ben Ali forced out Jan 14, 2011
I visited this country 15 years ago as a tourist and it looked rather open and the most "democratic" among their Arab neibours. So I was so surprised the current revolt and instability. It looks like Western influence is not so good thing for the Third World. :wink:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-africa-12195025

Red Chief
Dubai forums GURU

Re: Tunisia: President Zine Al-Abidine Ben Ali Forced Out Jan 14, 2011
Ben Ali headed off to Malta - they rejected him and could not land. He went on to France, but France wants the new Tunisian government to give them permission to allow Ben Ali into the country.

Hope he has plenty of fuel.
Bora Bora
Dubai OverLord

Re: Tunisia: President Zine Al-Abidine Ben Ali Forced Out Jan 15, 2011
Bora Bora wrote:Ben Ali headed off to Malta - they rejected him and could not land. He went on to France, but France wants the new Tunisian government to give them permission to allow Ben Ali into the country.

Hope he has plenty of fuel.

I also hope that he has enough fuel to reach Belarus. He would be in good company. :wink:
Red Chief
Dubai forums GURU

Cairo may welcome him with open arms. Like-minded.

Who is in Belarus???
Bora Bora
Dubai OverLord

Bora Bora wrote:Cairo may welcome him with open arms. Like-minded.

Who is in Belarus???

Daddy Lukashenko invited Mr. Bakiev, the former president of Kyrgizstan, and gave him food and shelter after similar revolt in that country a year ago, when nobody wanted to accept the latter. :wink:
Red Chief
Dubai forums GURU

LOL. Bypassing France. Now he's heading to a "gulf" country. He must have bank accounts all over the place. (Dubai and Qatar are possibilities - according to news reports, not me!!)
Bora Bora
Dubai OverLord

Bora Bora wrote:LOL. Bypassing France. Now he's heading to a "gulf" country. He must have bank accounts all over the place. (Dubai and Qatar are possibilities - according to news reports, not me!!)

Sorry I don't believe you darling. It looks like you are flying together with him according to frequency of news you generate. You should have learnt personaly about the size of his account before boarding I think.
8) 8) 8)
Red Chief
Dubai forums GURU

Red Chief wrote:
Bora Bora wrote:LOL. Bypassing France. Now he's heading to a "gulf" country. He must have bank accounts all over the place. (Dubai and Qatar are possibilities - according to news reports, not me!!)

Sorry I don't believe you darling. It looks like you are flying together with him according to frequency of news you generate. You should have been learnt personaly about the size of his account before boarding I think.
8) 8) 8)

:shock: Love, I'm sitting in front of the TV and getting the news as it rolls out!! As for his personal finances -- you know the size of his account??? You little devil you. :wink:
Bora Bora
Dubai OverLord

Apparently he has a soft spot for Mauritius.
benwj
Dubai Master of Thread Hijackers

Great result for the people of Tunisia.

Reminds me of the trouble the Shah of Iran had to find some place to accept him ;), but this is not the first leader of an African state to be forced to leave and had to search for a country that would accept him. Idi Amin is another, but there have been quite a few from Africa that have been forced out.

Mauritius is the least corrupt African nation - according to annual surveys - so its probably no surprise that a ex-Francophone leader may wish to come here after being spurned by France. Whether the Mauritian government will accept him is another issue..;)

Cheers,
Shafique
shafique
Dubai Shadow Wolf

They accepted his dirty money so why not him?
benwj
Dubai Master of Thread Hijackers

Probably for the same reasons all the states that welcomed the Shah's money when he was in power refused to allow him to set up shop in their countries, I'd guess.

I'm not familiar with the link between the Ben Ali and Mauritius - so you have me at a disadvantage. Has he requested residence in Mauritius?

But let's see - he's currently in Saudi (which also gave shelter to Idi Amin).

Cheers,
Shafique
shafique
Dubai Shadow Wolf

Re: Tunisia: President Zine Al-Abidine Ben Ali Forced Out Jan 26, 2011
Bora Bora wrote:Cairo may welcome him with open arms. Like-minded.

Who is in Belarus???

Cairo now is waiting to send Mubarak to join Bin Ali, not to leave him alone...just a hope...
Mahmoud04
Dubai chat master

Re: Tunisia: President Zine al-Abidine Ben Ali forced out Jan 26, 2011
His son is already packed and done away with...and guess where?... toooo the UK...
http://gulfnews.com/news/region/egypt/m ... s-1.752378
Berrin
Dubai Forums Veteran

Re: Tunisia: President Zine al-Abidine Ben Ali forced out Feb 09, 2011
could be in arabia saudia now?
harrySFRIEND
Dubai Forums Member

posting in Dubai Politics TalkForum Rules

Return to Dubai Politics Talk