Shahar Peer, The Israeli Tennis Player

Topic locked
Shahar Peer, the Israeli tennis player Feb 23, 2009
Shahar Pe'er joins the IDF
In an event that she described as more exciting than playing Maria Sharapova, tennis star Shahar Pe'er was drafted into the Israel Defense Forces bright and early Sunday morning

http://www.jpost.com/servlet/Satellite? ... 9540635307

I take it all back - Dubai was RIGHT to ban her and RIGHT to allow Andy Ram.

Del
Dubai Expat Helper

Feb 23, 2009
bombing Gaza weeks days, tennis tournaments on the weekend..

xl
muyesser
Dubai forums Addict

Feb 23, 2009
Yeah this is 4 years old! How do you know she hasn't had a change of heart since then?

As usual, people round here like to only see one side of a story, and condemn them for life for one action.
Chocoholic
Miss DubaiForums 2005

Feb 23, 2009
If you want a more up to date story on another high profile person, what about female rap artist M.I.A supporting the Tamil Tigers?
Chocoholic
Miss DubaiForums 2005

Feb 23, 2009
ahhn now the question!!!!

if she had US passport?

would she have been banned?

:?
sharfraz
Dubai chat master

Feb 23, 2009
Chocoholic wrote:How do you know she hasn't had a change of heart since then?

How do you know she has had a change of heart since then?

Do you think people join the army as casually as they buy underwear?
Del
Dubai Expat Helper

Feb 23, 2009
muyesser wrote:bombing Gaza weeks days, tennis tournaments on the weekend..

xl

Indeed.
Del
Dubai Expat Helper

Feb 23, 2009
Chocoholic wrote:Yeah this is 4 years old! How do you know she hasn't had a change of heart since then?

As usual, people round here like to only see one side of a story, and condemn them for life for one action.

CAN you tell us how did she changed?

do you know if she has changed or not ? can you prove it ?

the answer is no ..so u are full of Ccrap.. :lol:
naruto
Dubai Expat Helper

Feb 23, 2009
And there is a big difference between being 'drafted' and volunteering!
Chocoholic
Miss DubaiForums 2005

Feb 23, 2009
so she is in the army after all huh ... I guess humpy is shocked by this news, cant see him around.

choc darling, give it up ,well ya
uaekid
Dubai Master of Thread Hijackers

Feb 23, 2009
A large majority of Israel's citizens are drafted into the military.

"Conscription extends at present to all able-bodied persons, as they reach the age of 18 - three years for males and two for females."

http://www.mfa.gov.il/MFA/Facts%20About ... e%20Forces
gamercowboy
Dubai forums Addict

Feb 23, 2009
And...... this is normal for many countries still! If you don'tdo your service by the time you reach 35, then you go to prison!
Chocoholic
Miss DubaiForums 2005

Feb 23, 2009
Are all Israeli women that ugly?

Boycot all of them :D :D :D
RobbyG
UAE, Dubai Forums Lord of the posts

Feb 23, 2009
uaekid wrote:so she is in the army after all huh ... I guess humpy is shocked by this news, cant see him around.

choc darling, give it up ,well ya

As far as i know there is conscription in Israel so she would have to serve, and indeed, would see it as her duty. What is wrong with that?
smoggie
Dubai Expat Helper

Feb 23, 2009
nothing is wrong really, but would you put 1 Israeli Soldier
in the middle of 1000's of Palestinians ???????? very bad idea smoggie
no one would see here as a player.
uaekid
Dubai Master of Thread Hijackers

Feb 23, 2009
uaekid wrote:nothing is wrong really, but would you put 1 Israeli Soldier

it's back to the security issue.
She is proud of her country, wants to play tennis....I don't see the problem. The UAE should go out of their way to protect her. As you said yesterday....the real issue is not security. That is a lie. it is the fact that she is a Jew.
smoggie
Dubai Expat Helper

Feb 23, 2009
Chocoholic wrote:And there is a big difference between being 'drafted' and volunteering!

Hmmm...
Del
Dubai Expat Helper

Feb 24, 2009
smoggie wrote:

She is proud of her country, wants to play tennis....I don't see the problem. The UAE should go out of their way to protect her. As you said yesterday....the real issue is not security. That is a lie. it is the fact that she is a Jew.

..she is an isreali soldier who might killed a palastinian during the fight between both sides, now if im a palastinian and i saw here in the street i dont know what i might do to here..also we dont have any political relationship with isreal so she is not allowed to enter UAE even if she is a sport woman..now will i be able to get a visa if i want to go to israel .answer is NO..so we are even..
naruto
Dubai Expat Helper

Feb 24, 2009
smoggie wrote: As far as i know there is conscription in Israel so she would have to serve, and indeed, would see it as her duty. What is wrong with that?

Nothing really, except she described it as 'more exciting than playing Maria Sharapova'.
What's 'More exciting...'? Blowing up Palestinians?
Del
Dubai Expat Helper

Feb 24, 2009
Del wrote:
smoggie wrote: As far as i know there is conscription in Israel so she would have to serve, and indeed, would see it as her duty. What is wrong with that?

Nothing really, except she described it as 'more exciting than playing Maria Sharapova'.
What's 'More exciting...'? Blowing up Palestinians?

Well unless she said "Blowing up Palestinians" we do not know...maybe she meant training on the assault course
smoggie
Dubai Expat Helper

Feb 24, 2009
naruto wrote:
smoggie wrote:

..she is an isreali soldier who might killed a palastinian during the fight between both sides, now if im a palastinian and i saw here in the street i dont know what i might do to here..also we dont have any political relationship with isreal so she is not allowed to enter UAE even if she is a sport woman..now will i be able to get a visa if i want to go to israel .answer is NO..so we are even..

My Grandad got shot on the beach at Dunkirk but I don't go around attacking Germans. If she did shoot anybody it was an act of war..... Grow up!
smoggie
Dubai Expat Helper

Feb 24, 2009
[quote="smoggie"]
Well unless she said "Blowing up Palestinians" we do not know...maybe she meant training on the assault course

:roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:

xl
muyesser
Dubai forums Addict

Feb 24, 2009
muyesser wrote:
smoggie wrote:

:roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:

xl

Please translate smilies in to words.... I cannot respond because i don't know what that means!
smoggie
Dubai Expat Helper

Feb 24, 2009
smoggie wrote:...maybe she meant training on the assault course

Yeah... the Gaza Strip assault course!
Del
Dubai Expat Helper

Feb 24, 2009
Test
Del
Dubai Expat Helper

Feb 24, 2009
[quote="smoggie
My Grandad got shot on the beach at Dunkirk but I don't go around attacking Germans. If she did shoot anybody it was an act of war..... Grow up!

:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

xl
muyesser
Dubai forums Addict

Feb 24, 2009
I am surprised that non of the posts on this subject is quiet subjective, sorry to say that , I am not trying to dismiss your posts guys but from a political view point I would say that most of posts talking from an emotional or human rights perspective , now this absolutely crap because we all witnessed what's been going on recently in GAZA. lets not be bias and have a sense if logic " choco and smoggi "

That israeli tennis player as I imagine her can walk through the airport immigration check points pissing on everyone and telling herself how much she hates Arabs. period.

back to the point ,

Why cant we just once respect a country's internal affairs , especially a country like UAE with straight forward moderate system that is based on friendships and mutual respect to its naibouring countries.

the ban decision is not about her being drafted few years ago in the Army of isreal or anything like that, but its a strict constitutional law and by breaking it there will be major security implications that UAE has to worry about.
mesheditor
Dubai Forums Talker

Feb 24, 2009
i have always believed in not mixing politics and sports.

but lets be honest the whiteys have their own standards. they will and can do anything they want. if someone else does the same to them they get cheesed off.

example.

http://article.wn.com/view/2009/01/20/A ... _says_PCB/

the australian cricket team dont want to play in pakistan because it is not SAFE.

now we have a jewish "ugly" betty who wants to play in Dubai. But dubai authorities have said you cant play because of your own safety.

i really dont get it. the authorities have said you cant play, stop bitiching and get on with your LIFE you bloody WOMAN.
rudeboy
Dubai Forums Zealot

Feb 25, 2009
Or when Zimbabwe held sometime ago a cricket tournament, some Western countries asked their teams not to partake in the tournament just because they oppose to Robert Mugabe and his regime.

The UAE has done the honorable thing. No to Israel until it gives back every illegal territories and genuinely shows that it wants a lasting peace with its neighbours.

Large protesters also gave her a hard time when she played here in New Zealand few months ago.

Israel is a murderous, it responsible for destroying the lives of millions of Palestinians and the killing of so many children, women and civilians in Palestinian and Lebanon. They have to be brought justice and hold responsible.

I salute the UAE for its honorable decision
Humbleman
Dubai forums Addict

Feb 25, 2009
rudeboy wrote:i have always believed in not mixing politics and sports.

but lets be honest the whiteys have their own standards. they will and can do anything they want. if someone else does the same to them they get cheesed off.

example.

http://article.wn.com/view/2009/01/20/A ... _says_PCB/

the australian cricket team dont want to play in pakistan because it is not SAFE.

now we have a jewish "ugly" betty who wants to play in Dubai. But dubai authorities have said you cant play because of your own safety.

i really dont get it. the authorities have said you cant play, stop bitiching and get on with your LIFE you bloody WOMAN.

Sorry, all I saw in this post was "whiteys", "Jewish 'ugly' Betty", "bloody WOMAN". Hmm, racist, se.x.ist, male chauvinist comes to mind. Also, your logic is poor. The Australian team didn't want to play because they didn't feel safe. It was their choice. It has nothing to do with (Edit: Israeli/) Jewish woman wanting to come to play in Dubai because she felt safe enough to do so, but then being denied by the authorities. So, where is the hypocrisy on the part of the "whiteys"? And I'm wondering, is the whole Australian cricket team white?.... :lol:
kanelli
Miss DubaiForums 2006

posting in Dubai Politics TalkForum Rules

Return to Dubai Politics Talk