Global Events Are Leaving Israel Behind

Topic locked
Global Events are leaving Israel behind Jun 04, 2011
This is an article that appeared in the Gulf News, submitted by "Financial Times". I think it is interesting how it points out how Netty is indeed holding Israel back from making progress in the region and that he holds onto a vision from the past and his ambition in all of this may extend no further than clinging to office. It also points out Israel's support is waning.

http://m.gulfnews.com/opinions/columnis ... d-1.817070

Excerpts from the article:

Anyone who saw Benjamin Netanyahu's address to the American Congress can be forgiven their fatalism. Israel's prime minister will never negotiate seriously with the Palestinians. As a former Israeli diplomat said of Netanyahu's speech: "Everything is changing, but he is determined that everything remains the same."

This time the world is unlikely to wait. Events are leaving Israel behind. The Arab uprisings are remaking the geopolitics of the Middle East. The Palestinians will seek international affirmation of their statehood when the UN General Assembly convenes in September.

Not so long ago, Israel was relatively secure in its own region. Turkey and Egypt were allies of a sort — pillars of stability in any event in a region menaced by Iran's nuclear ambitions. Now Netanyahu has broken with Ankara and Egypt's Hosni Mubarak has gone. Syria's Bashar Al Assad — an enemy, but at least a predictable one — may be next.

Netanyahu has led Israel to international isolation. His fractured relationship with Obama is mirrored by a rupture with Europe. Britain and France no longer conceal their frustration. Germany, for obvious reasons of history a stalwart ally, has lost all patience.

The turning point came in February when the so-called E3 countries backed a Security Council resolution condemning Netanyahu's expansion of colonies. Fourteen of the 15 Security Council members supported the resolution. Netanyahu was saved by a US veto.

All these "councils" that are created by countries that include the US need to stop allowing the US to veto the majority vote. If 14 out of 15 countries can see how wrong Israel is, then the US needs to accept the majority. If the US is going to dictate the vote, then what is the point of having these "councils"? On the other hand, there just may come a time when Israel doesn't get the US veto.

If push comes to shove, I hope that Netty gets a hard shove. Israel needs to understand it's place in the world today and the world could be a better place if they negotiated peace and land. I'm sure may Israelites understand it, but as with most countries, the Israeli people don't really have a voice in government.

I hope the outcome of the meeting in September Palestine is given international affirmation of their statehood, which would be a step forward for Palestine, and obviously a severe blow to Israel.

Bora Bora
Dubai OverLord

Re: Global Events Are Leaving Israel Behind Jun 04, 2011
Ohh, the fanbois are not going to like this !
desertdudeshj
UAE, Dubai Forums Lord of the posts

Re: Global Events are leaving Israel behind Jun 04, 2011
One fanboi is going to a beach bbq now and party until early morning. Couldnot care less at the moment for international politics.

Cheerio!
Flying Dutchman
Dubai Forums Zealot

Politicians come and go, Journalistic License will continue to influence Interactive Democracy and unfortunately, Middle East Politics will remain the same.

:lol:
Dillon
Dubai Master of Thread Hijackers

Dillon wrote:Politicians come and go, Journalistic License will continue to influence Interactive Democracy and unfortunately, Middle East Politics will remain the same.

:lol:

There has to be change Dillon. Things can't stay the same forever, which appears that is what Netty wants. He wants things status quo - and then some. How can ME politics stay the same when ME countries are going through changes and Israel wants to continue with a vision that is outdated? He wants to hold on and hold out to demands that are outdated. There is the very good possibility that he and Israel may come to regret not making peace sooner.
Bora Bora
Dubai OverLord

Bora Bora wrote:There has to be change Dillon. Things can't stay the same forever, which appears that is what Netty wants. He wants things status quo - and then some. How can ME politics stay the same when ME countries are going through changes and Israel wants to continue with a vision that is outdated? He wants to hold on and hold out to demands that are outdated. There is the very good possibility that he and Israel may come to regret not making peace sooner.

Yes dear, :) there has to be change, I completely agree with you, but who’s going to change?

There is nothing more, I would like to read on the newswires in September that Palestine has accepted all the UN requirements for full membership which has been granted accordingly, as this is their only recourse for peace in Palestine.

That would make my day, this news is what everybody in the peace negotiations since 1948 have been striving to achieve.

Will they do it? I think not, but we’ll have to wait until the offer is on the table in September, then we’ll all see just how much the Palestinian Arabs really want peace.

I just hope there aren’t many Simms or Berrins there at the negotiating table and the real Palestinian Arabs can control the dark age views of the Simms and Berrins within their communities.

Sincerely
Dillon

Middle East Politics will remain the same.

when was the last time you read news? I mean like you didn't really notice something has or being or is changing in the ME?
hmm, is me me who missed what change mean then...
Mahmoud04
Dubai chat master

Dillon wrote:................. then we’ll all see just how much the Palestinian Arabs really want peace.

What is Israel doing to show that they really want peace? Israel is losing support for it's inability and unwillingness to negotiate peace. Israel want's what it wants - unconditionally.
Bora Bora
Dubai OverLord

So what has changed? the only change I have seen so far is:
1, Tunisia doesn't have a ruling Government yet
2, Egypt is ruled by a non democratic military dictatorship
3, Syria's dictator is murdering it's citizens
4, Libya, see above
5, Yemen see above
6, Bahrain, see above

Tell me I'm wrong :shock:

-- Sat Jun 04, 2011 11:15 pm --

Bora Bora wrote:
Dillon wrote:................. then we’ll all see just how much the Palestinian Arabs really want peace.

What is Israel doing to show that they really want peace? Israel is losing support for it's inability and unwillingness to negotiate peace. Israel want's what it wants - unconditionally.

Israel will not negotiate peace with a terrorist organisation who denies their right to exist, I wouldn't either, would you?
Dillon

Dillon wrote:Israel will not negotiate peace with a terrorist organisation who denies their right to exist, I wouldn't either, would you?

What about the other Middle East countries that don't recognize Israel as a state? They may not be at war with Israel but they don't recognize Israel as a state.
Bora Bora
Dubai OverLord

So what?
Dillon

Dillon, have you ever heard of a revolution that changed everything in few months !!!
give it time, and not because I am Egyptian, but Egypt changes will make a huge different in the region,

BTW, military is ruling for a transitional period, and they aren't really practicing dictatorship, but they are making a balance as they can, just an advice, don't build assumptions on things you don't really know...

and as BB said before it will take time, but it will come ti light...sooner than later...

about Israel & Palestine issue, nobody denies that the key now is in Israelis hand, and I wish they use it before they lose it (the key)... coz if they lost it 8)
Mahmoud04
Dubai chat master

So what has changed? the only change I have seen so far is:
1, Tunisia doesn't have a ruling Government yet
2, Egypt is ruled by a non democratic military dictatorship
3, Syria's dictator is murdering it's citizens
4, Libya, see above
5, Yemen see above
6, Bahrain, see above

Tell me I'm wrong
Dillon