Gaza - Ceasefire And Some Stats

Topic locked
Gaza - Ceasefire and some stats Nov 22, 2012
Good to see that a ceasefire has finally been agreed with both sides getting concessions. Let's hope it continues to hold.

Looking at the threads since the conflict began, it seems that the pro-Israeli posters have been going to town with the usual hype - no surprises there. It's almost as if there is a need to justify the slaughter of children and civilians..

Anyway, the economist posted an interested set of stats this week:

Gaza abacus
Nov 19th 2012,

WITH a hat-tip to Harper’s Magazine, which invented this kind of index, here are some enlightening numbers regarding the fighting in Gaza, as of 8.00am GMT on November 19th.

Number of Israelis killed by fire from Gaza between January 1st 2012 and November 11th 2012: 1
Number of Palestinians in Gaza killed by Israeli fire during the same period: 78
Number of Israelis killed by fire from Gaza, November 13th-19th 2012: 3
Number of Palestinians in Gaza killed by Israeli fire, November 13th-19th: 95
Number of those killed in Gaza under 15 years of age: 19
Total number of Israelis killed by rocket, mortar or anti-tank fire from Gaza since 2006: 47
Number of Palestinians in Gaza killed by Israeli fire from April 1st 2006 to July 21st 2012: 2,879
Number of Egyptian schoolchildren killed when a train hit their bus on November 17th 2012: 53
Number of people killed in traffic accidents in Israel in 2011: 384
Number of Syrians killed in fighting between November 13th-19th 2012: 646
Estimated deaths in Syria since beginning of unrest in March 2011: 40,000
Estimated deaths from all Israeli-Arab wars between 1945 and 1995: 92,000
Number of targets in Gaza struck by Israel, November 13th-19th: 1,350
Number of projectiles fired at Israel from Gaza from November 13th-19th, 2012: 848
Number that did not fall in "open areas": 35
Number intercepted by Israel’s Iron Dome defence system: 302
Percentage of projectiles targeted by Iron Dome shot down, as claimed by Israeli military: 80-85%
Reported cost in dollars of one interceptor missile fired by Iron Dome: 62,000
Estimated cost in dollars of one short-range Qassam missile built in Gaza workshop: 800
Cost in dollars of one Iron Dome battery; Israel has deployed five and plans 13 in total: 50m
Number of kilos explosive equivalent in payload of Iranian-supplied Fajr-5 longer-range rocket deployed by Hamas: 90 (200lb)
Number of kilos explosive equivalent of Israel Military Industry’s MPR-500 advanced-penetration precision-guided bomb: 900 (2,000lb)
Area in square kilometres of Gaza: 365 (141 square miles)
Area in square kilometres of Israel: 20,700 (7,992 square miles)
Population of Gaza: 1.7m
Number of Israelis within range of Fajr-5 missiles: 3.5m
Jewish population of Israel/ under Israeli jurisdiction (ie including West Bank settlements): 5.9m
Non-Jewish population under Israeli jurisdiction (ie including Gaza and West Bank): 6.1m
Per capita GDP of Israel in 2011, in dollars: 31,000
Per Capita GDP of Gaza in 2011, in dollars: 1,483
Verse of Exodus containing the phrase “Pillar of Cloud”, the official codename for Israel’s current Gaza operation: 13:21
Verse of the Koran containing the phrase “Stones of Clay”, Hamas’s codename for its current operations: 105:4

Number of days before Israeli general election: 64

http://www.economist.com/blogs/pomegran ... lestinians

I also wonder whether the pro-Israeli posters are aware that they are projecting onto others when they wonder whether normal posters condemn the killings of civilians or not. (Normal people condemn all killings of children, civilians etc.. not make excuses for slaughters). I also wonder whether they realise how racist their views of Palestinians are - 'barbaric' etc.

Ben Silverstein posted this video last month:
Israel teaches kids to hate and kill. "I picture a dead Arab and that makes me happy"
So sad

Had it been Muslim kids saying the same about Jews, our hate-filled posters here would no doubt have hyped this to high heaven. I wonder whether they consider the Israelis teaching their kids this hate to be barbarians or not.

Please don't expect me to read (or respond) to any of the usual pro-Israeli hype, fantasies, denials and misinformation. Life's too short. ;)

Cheers,
Shafique

shafique
Dubai Shadow Wolf

Re: Gaza - Ceasefire And Some Stats Nov 22, 2012
If you wear a ball protector cup with takes away 80-85% of the pain, is it still ok to kick you in the nuts? :-)
FlyingDutchman
Dubai forums Addict

All that and no condemnation of the bus bombing?
BMreformed
Dubai chat master

BMreformed wrote:All that and no condemnation of the bus bombing?

Some candy business he needed attending to first.

I also notice the video doesn't show "Israel teaching children to hate" or even "Israelis teaching children to hate".

The what-aboutery argument is priceless though. Apparently it's offensive to be appalled by Hamas praying for and celebrating the deaths of Israelis.
rayznack
Dubai Expat Helper

How incredible ironic, that Gazans shooting in the air with their machine guns during celebrations killed more people than the bus bombing in TA. The life of a Gazan is worth nothing to Hamas.
Whereas Israel does everything possible to minimize civilian casualties in Israel and Gaza, Hamas tries to maximize civilian casulaties deliberately on both sides.
FlyingDutchman
Dubai forums Addict

I notice there hasn't been mention of Hamas rocket sites in heavily populated areas. No condemnation; no statistics.

It's almost as if Hamas wanted civilian deaths and knew ahead of time they would be caused by their placement there.

Keep in mind the people blaming Israel for those deaths blame a YouTube movie maker for the deaths from riots over his video.
rayznack
Dubai Expat Helper

rayznack wrote:I notice there hasn't been mention of Hamas rocket sites in heavily populated areas. No condemnation; no statistics.

Double standards all the way.

rayznack wrote:Keep in mind the people blaming Israel for those deaths blame a YouTube movie maker for the deaths from riots over his video.

+100

I also notice there some kind of very perverse fetish for children allegely killed by jews. First pictures of children killed in Syria or by Hamas' rogue rockets are used to blame it on the jews. As if a life is only worth something in that case. No care at all for children actually killed in Syria. None whatsoever. Second, when mistakes are pointed out, no apologies or rectifications. Very perverse and very disturbingly sick. Yikes!
FlyingDutchman
Dubai forums Addict

Re: Gaza - Ceasefire And Some Stats Nov 23, 2012
The ceasefire was celebrated in Gaza as a victory for Hamas. I wouldn't call losing 150 citizens as a victory.
BMreformed
Dubai chat master

Re: Gaza - Ceasefire And Some Stats Nov 24, 2012
I heard that Israel was given the greatest incentive in history by the Egyptian president for this ceasefire, which they couldn't obtain during Mubarak's time in 2008. And that incentive is for the US to control/ observe the Egyptian borders with Israel. Sounds like Egypt are going to turn into another Yanks chaos country soon because throughout my life, I notice whatever ground the yanks place a foot on , it turns into unlivable place. It's my personal opinion.

--- Sat Nov 24, 2012 12:16 pm ---

rayznack , Hamas rocket ? you kidding ?
mesheditor
Dubai Forums Talker

Re: Gaza - Ceasefire And Some Stats Nov 25, 2012
Well we have to thank the yanks for something. MacDonalds is the greatest hangover cure I've ever known.
A BigMac Meal with diet coke. God bless America.
BMreformed
Dubai chat master

BMreformed wrote:Well we have to thank the yanks for something. MacDonalds is the greatest hangover cure I've ever known.
A BigMac Meal with diet coke. God bless America.

You either wrote this while you got a hangover or mad hungry haha
mesheditor
Dubai Forums Talker

I wrote it at 10pm so it must have been hunger.
BMreformed
Dubai chat master

posting in Dubai Politics TalkForum Rules

Return to Dubai Politics Talk