French Pool Bans 'burkini' Swim

Topic locked
French pool bans 'burkini' swim Aug 13, 2009
The woman had swum in July in the pool in Emerainville, east of Paris, in the "burkini" - a loose-fitting garment resembling a wetsuit with a hood.

But staff stopped her from swimming in August, citing hygiene concerns.

It comes as the government examines ways to limit burka use after the president said they reduced dignity.

France is home to Western Europe's largest population of Muslims, with about 5 million living there.

At the pool, staff "reminded [the woman] of the rules that apply in all (public) swimming pools which forbid swimming while clothed,"

chevaliers-de-sion
Dubai forums Addict

Re: French pool bans 'burkini' swim Aug 13, 2009
chevaliers-de-sion wrote:At the pool, staff "reminded [the woman] of the rules that apply in all (public) swimming pools which forbid swimming while clothed,"

So swim naked or dont swim at all? :lol:
MethoD
Dubai Forums Frequenter

Aug 13, 2009
I read this story this morning, not quite sure what to make of it. On the one hand the Burkini gives Muslim women the freedom to enjoy swimming, on the other it's useless if the pool staff still see it as 'clothing'.

At virtually every swimming pool on the list of do's and don't, it will always sy that only swim wear is allowed, clothing is not. Most pools even ban board shorts too.
Chocoholic
Miss DubaiForums 2005

Aug 13, 2009
I think its a shame that they don't let muslim women swim with the burkini. The burkini is made for swimming so i don't see where the problem is .. ohh wait i do see the problem.. they can't see her body.
Raya
Dubai Forums Member

Aug 13, 2009
Getting your clothes caught in a main drain is a significant risk, you might as well swim with an anchor... please, do carry on. :lol:
crusader 1
Dubai Forums Enthusiast

Aug 13, 2009
Raya wrote:I think its a shame that they don't let muslim women swim with the burkini. The burkini is made for swimming so i don't see where the problem is .. ohh wait i do see the problem.. they can't see her body.

It is unhygenic to wear these garments. I have yet to see one of the women or girls wearing them take a shower before going into the pool. They come of the pool, dry off and sit in the sweating!!!.

I have also noticed that when some of the women/girls who wear them come out of the water, the garments are clinging to them; basically the only good they serve is hiding skin, nothing else. So what's the point? Someone should think about putting some kind of padded bra insert because whether they know it or not, their nips are showing!!!
Bora Bora
Dubai OverLord

Aug 14, 2009
Bora Bora wrote:
Raya wrote:I think its a shame that they don't let muslim women swim with the burkini. The burkini is made for swimming so i don't see where the problem is .. ohh wait i do see the problem.. they can't see her body.

It is unhygenic to wear these garments. I have yet to see one of the women or girls wearing them take a shower before going into the pool. They come of the pool, dry off and sit in the sweating!!!.

I have also noticed that when some of the women/girls who wear them come out of the water, the garments are clinging to them; basically the only good they serve is hiding skin, nothing else. So what's the point? Someone should think about putting some kind of padded bra insert because whether they know it or not, their nips are showing!!!

So little kids taking a pee in the water is not unhygenic ? Swimming pools are unhygenic anyways, no matter how you go in the water. So please don't blame it on the women/girls who wanna swim covered up.. they are not the ones who make the pool dirty.
Raya
Dubai Forums Member

Aug 14, 2009
Bora Bora wrote:I have also noticed that when some of the women/girls who wear them come out of the water, the garments are clinging to them; basically the only good they serve is hiding skin, nothing else. So what's the point? Someone should think about putting some kind of padded bra insert because whether they know it or not, their nips are showing!!!

Hush BB, don't spoil the fun. As long as they don't know........And if women plan to get wet try wearing white, it quite literally helps you breathe :lol:
Misery Called Life
Dubai Forums Zealot

Aug 14, 2009
Misery Called Life wrote:
Bora Bora wrote:I have also noticed that when some of the women/girls who wear them come out of the water, the garments are clinging to them; basically the only good they serve is hiding skin, nothing else. So what's the point? Someone should think about putting some kind of padded bra insert because whether they know it or not, their nips are showing!!!

Hush BB, don't spoil the fun. As long as they don't know........And if women plan to get wet try wearing white, it quite literally helps you breathe :lol:

Hon, you need to organize a wet tee shirt party.
Bora Bora
Dubai OverLord

Aug 14, 2009
Raya wrote:
Bora Bora wrote:

So little kids taking a pee in the water is not unhygenic ? Swimming pools are unhygenic anyways, no matter how you go in the water. So please don't blame it on the women/girls who wanna swim covered up.. they are not the ones who make the pool dirty.

They contribute to making the pool dirty, along with the little kids who are crapping and peeing in the water. Its not only the kids who are peeing in the water, I'm sure there are plenty of adults who contribute. If you kid has to wear diapers it's a sure bet they can't control their bladder. Swimming pools are unhygenic, but why add to it? How much chlorine has to be used to kill all the crap deposited in the water?

I saw a small child in the water with his nappy blown up with water; damn thing looked like it weighed 5 kgs. Mom took him out, put on a one piece outfit, put him back in the water and when they lifted him out after a while there was a load of crap pulling his outfit down. I thought I was going to throw up. Of course, Mom and family had a good laugh at it. Thought it was cute and funny I guess. Oh, forgot to mention, Mom had her burkini on, making her contribution to the pool as well. What makes me sick is that they don't even shower before going into the pool to at least rinse the sweat off. As far as I'm concerned, you might as well go swim in a cess pool.
Bora Bora
Dubai OverLord

Aug 14, 2009
So now ofcourse only the mums who wear a burkini have kids who pee and phoo in the pool.. the mums who wear a bikini ofcourse don't have peeing and phooing babies !

News flash: i don't wear a burkini dear !
Raya
Dubai Forums Member

Aug 14, 2009
Bora Bora wrote:

If the purpose of wearing a burkini is following Islamic dress code then the purpose is not served at all. As far as I know Islam says a woman dress should cover her body and should not describe her body details "Curves". So the burkini doesn't serve its purpose.

Bora Bora has a valid point about the showing nipples. I love that scene :twisted:

Plus if a burkini woman is really in swimming, if she cant afford her private swimming pool then she can try joining a women only pool where she can swim even in a bikini.
Like in Dubai, Wild Wadi has a ladies only night.
Done! Next
Metaphor79
Dubai Expat Helper

Aug 14, 2009
Really ??? does it show nippels ? if it does then i agree with you Metaphor79.
In that case its better to swim in their private pools or only on ladies days/nights.
Raya
Dubai Forums Member

Aug 14, 2009
Raya wrote:So now ofcourse only the mums who wear a burkini have kids who pee and phoo in the pool.. the mums who wear a bikini ofcourse don't have peeing and phooing babies !

News flash: i don't wear a burkini dear !

News flash for you: I didn't say that it was only those who wear burkinis. My point was the total disregard to how pools are further contaminated. Westerners are guilty of the same disgusting contribution to pools. And where did I make reference to what you wear? I couldn't care less if you wore a potato sack, a thong or nothing at all. :roll:

Don't take it so personal hon. Pools are community toilets for many who use it. But it would serve people better if the mums and dads of babies who have no control over their bladder and bowels went to the childrens pool Then the can all pee in the same spot. A family that pees together swims together?
Bora Bora
Dubai OverLord

Aug 14, 2009
Metaphor79 wrote:
Bora Bora wrote:

If the purpose of wearing a burkini is following Islamic dress code then the purpose is not served at all. As far as I know Islam says a woman dress should cover her body and should not describe her body details "Curves". So the burkini doesn't serve its purpose.

Bora Bora has a valid point about the showing nipples. I love that scene :twisted:

Plus if a burkini woman is really in swimming, if she cant afford her private swimming pool then she can try joining a women only pool where she can swim even in a bikini.
Done! Next

Well said.
Bora Bora
Dubai OverLord

Aug 14, 2009
Bora Bora wrote:
Metaphor79 wrote:
Bora Bora wrote:

Done! Next

Well said.

Well that's all very nice in theory and in Islamic countries, but in the majority of countries there are no ladies only nights or pools just for women.
Chocoholic
Miss DubaiForums 2005

Aug 14, 2009
I think it is ridiculous - there has to be a compromise. Maybe women could wear the 100% synthetic wetsuit kind that is closer fitting, but still covers the skin. If competitive swimmers can wear almost full-body suits and many pools have scuba diving courses where people are in wearing wetsuits, then why not allow a burkini?
kanelli
Miss DubaiForums 2006

Aug 14, 2009
kanelli wrote:I think it is ridiculous - there has to be a compromise. Maybe women could wear the 100% synthetic wetsuit kind that is closer fitting, but still covers the skin. If competitive swimmers can wear almost full-body suits and many pools have scuba diving courses where people are in wearing wetsuits, then why not allow a burkini?

It's as ridiculoous as forcing European women to cover their bodies from top to toe in the ugly dresses or jeans in the Shopping Malls in Dubai or Sharjah.
Red Chief
Dubai forums GURU

Aug 14, 2009
Red Chief wrote:
kanelli wrote:I think it is ridiculous - there has to be a compromise. Maybe women could wear the 100% synthetic wetsuit kind that is closer fitting, but still covers the skin. If competitive swimmers can wear almost full-body suits and many pools have scuba diving courses where people are in wearing wetsuits, then why not allow a burkini?

It's as ridiculoous as forcing European women to cover their bodies from top to toe in the ugly dresses or jeans in the Shopping Malls in Dubai or Sharjah.

HHmm im an European woman and nobody forced me to cover up from head to toe in the shopping malls or in Sharjah... This is about BURKINIS in FRANCE not about COVERING UP IN UAE !
Raya
Dubai Forums Member

Aug 14, 2009
It doesn't infringe on my rights to wear a long sleeved shirt and pants/skirt, as long as I wouldn't be forced to be draped in a sheet, including my face. I would never agree to live in a country if I had to dress like that every day. So, I guess the same could be said for Muslim women living in France. If they are unable to cover how they feel they need to for religious reasons, they will have to consider leaving the country. I just don't see why France is being so prejudiced about it. Covering a face is a problem, but who really cares about head scarves and loose clothing? Let them be!
kanelli
Miss DubaiForums 2006

Aug 14, 2009
Chocoholic wrote:
Bora Bora wrote:
Metaphor79 wrote:
Bora Bora wrote:

Done! Next

Well said.

Well that's all very nice in theory and in Islamic countries, but in the majority of countries there are no ladies only nights or pools just for women.
Bora Bora
Dubai OverLord

Aug 14, 2009
kanelli wrote:It doesn't infringe on my rights to wear a long sleeved shirt and pants/skirt, as long as I wouldn't be forced to be draped in a sheet, including my face. I would never agree to live in a country if I had to dress like that every day. So, I guess the same could be said for Muslim women living in France. If they are unable to cover how they feel they need to for religious reasons, they will have to consider leaving the country. I just don't see why France is being so prejudiced about it. Covering a face is a problem, but who really cares about head scarves and loose clothing? Let them be!

Head scarves and loose clothing are not a problem in France. They only banned the burqa. France is really quite liberal, and I doubt someone would leave France citing lack of religious freedom.
How can pool authorities allow a burqini? Even men are asked to only wear swimming trunks when entering the pool, no other undergarments allowed.
If conservative women want to swim, just invest in a full body suit
(the ones that pro swimmers use) or one of those scuba diving suits. Problem solved!
Misery Called Life
Dubai Forums Zealot

Aug 14, 2009
Raya wrote:
Red Chief wrote:

HHmm im an European woman and nobody forced me to cover up from head to toe in the shopping malls or in Sharjah... !

Better brace yourself for a rude wake up call, one of these days :)
Misery Called Life
Dubai Forums Zealot

Aug 14, 2009
Misery Called Life wrote:
Raya wrote:
Red Chief wrote:

HHmm im an European woman and nobody forced me to cover up from head to toe in the shopping malls or in Sharjah... !

Better brace yourself for a rude wake up call, one of these days :)

That's not gonna happen trust me, i am fully aware that i am in a muslim country, so i adjust myself and stay out of trouble .. its so easy sometimes :lol:
Raya
Dubai Forums Member

Aug 15, 2009
Headscarves are banned in French schools, as are other religious symbols.
kanelli
Miss DubaiForums 2006

Aug 15, 2009
Bora Bora wrote:I saw a small child in the water with his nappy blown up with water; damn thing looked like it weighed 5 kgs. Mom took him out, put on a one piece outfit, put him back in the water and when they lifted him out after a while there was a load of crap pulling his outfit down. I thought I was going to throw up. Of course, Mom and family had a good laugh at it.

This made me laugh out loud ! and at the same time pi$$ed off. I've always been ticked off by inconsiderate parents by bring in kids where they shouldn't be. Atleast well behaved kids would be alright.

Wheter it be resturants when some unruly kids are running around and make a general racket and being a nusiance to everone, and the family thinks how cute !

I've even gone to see movies where some dumb asses bring in such runts. Or people who insist on bringing in twin side by side strollers into small supermarket isles !

Aargh ! I could go on forever.

Anyways end of comercial break, back to regular programming.
desertdudeshj
UAE, Dubai Forums Lord of the posts

Aug 15, 2009
Raya wrote:HHmm im an European woman and nobody forced me to cover up from head to toe in the shopping malls or in Sharjah... This is about BURKINIS in FRANCE not about COVERING UP IN UAE !

Exactly, about BURKINI in France. I am thinking how one private decision in remoted French village concerns to DUBAI FORUM or Milsims at all.
It doen't happen in Dubai or UAE. It isn't the law that was launch by French parlament.
Why all this storm in the tea-cup?

About Sharjah you were lucky. That's it. I saw personaly how security asked mum of three to leave Sahara Mall in front of her kids because of her skirt didn't cover her knee only.
There are a lot of as weird as described decision in Sharjah beach hotels but nobody writes about them in the World media.

If you know where you live why don't you think that people in France should respect some tradition of this beatiful country?
Red Chief
Dubai forums GURU

Aug 15, 2009
Red Chief wrote:
Raya wrote:HHmm im an European woman and nobody forced me to cover up from head to toe in the shopping malls or in Sharjah... This is about BURKINIS in FRANCE not about COVERING UP IN UAE !

Exactly, about BURKINI in France. I am thinking how one private decision in remoted French village concerns to DUBAI FORUM or Milsims at all.
It doen't happen in Dubai or UAE. It isn't the law that was launch by French parlament.
Why all this storm in the tea-cup?

About Sharjah you were lucky. That's it. I saw personaly how security asked mum of three to leave Sahara Mall in front of her kids because of her skirt didn't cover her knee only.
There are a lot of as weird as described decision in Sharjah beach hotels but nobody writes about them in the World media.

If you know where you live why don't you think that people in France should respect some tradition of this beatiful country?

I think there are bigger problems in the world then a shopping mall in Sarjah, where women have to cover up their knees...lol

will say this one more time: YOU ARE IN A MUSLIM COUNTRY ! The women need to cover up their pretty knees and bosems for their own good, thats if they want to stay out of trouble in the shopping malls or where ever. In every shopping mall they have this signs with pictures that you have to cover up so i really don't understand why women still try to go shopping in mini skirts. :?: :!:
Raya
Dubai Forums Member

Aug 15, 2009
That was wise, Raya.
Metaphor79
Dubai Expat Helper

Aug 15, 2009
thanks Metaphor :wink:
Raya
Dubai Forums Member

posting in Dubai Politics TalkForum Rules

Return to Dubai Politics Talk