Attack Of The Shears

Topic locked
Attack of the Shears Sep 21, 2012
I couldn't help but laugh at the name of the Amish leader in this story about a religious dispute in the USA:

Amish leader Samuel Mullet and 15 others guilty of hate crime

Members of an Amish breakaway group have been found guilty of hate crimes for forcibly cutting the beards and hair of community members.

The leader of the group, Samuel Mullet, has also been convicted of planning the five attacks last year in eastern Ohio.

The 16 face 10 years or more in jail over the incidents, prompted by a dispute over religious differences.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-19669950

Cheers,
Shafique

shafique
Dubai Shadow Wolf

Re: Attack Of The Shears Sep 21, 2012
The mullet made me lol. As some background information. The Dutch in Pennsylvania Dutch Country (where the Amish live) refers to Deutsch (from Germany) and not Dutch (as from Holland). Something got lost in translation. Remarkably, a similar screw up found his way in the anthem of the Netherlands. While the original text refers to 'Diets', that's Dutch in old-Dutch, some modern texts write 'Duits', as in German. As a consequence some people sing the anthem as 'as a decendant from Orange I am of German blood'. I know somebody he always gets very wind up about this. :-)

From what I hear, the Amish make some mean subs, there roast beef sub is supposed to be phenomenal.
Lying Dutchwoman
Dubai Forums Enthusiast

Re: Attack Of The Shears Sep 21, 2012
EMZ wrote:I quite like the Amish. They go about their business and are a peaceful lot generally.

Very true!
evitav
Dubai Forums Frequenter

posting in Dubai Politics TalkForum Rules

Return to Dubai Politics Talk