Is It Worth Upgrading From 1mb

Topic locked
Is it worth upgrading from 1mb Apr 01, 2007
I have so had enough of my bad connection. I currently have 1mb and its so slow that it cannot even keep up with a youtube stream. For instance if I am watching a 30 second video, i have to pause it while the buffer collects all of the clip first. Not to mention all of the sites blocked.

Online gaming - you wish? Go on holiday if you would like to try this.

Its really frustrating.

I am wondering if it may be worth me upgrading even more - or will i still be fighting against the contention rate of everyone else using the same pipe in my building?

Seriously I love Dubai - but the technical infrastructure is one of the worst in the world - believe me Cairo and Bombay are leaps ahead.

jabbajabba
Dubai chat master

Apr 01, 2007
Im using 256kb at home and have no problems with youtube or online gaming....
guest999

Apr 01, 2007
I have 1 mb at home and it flies.

Suggest you contact your ISP for support.

Also if you are using a wireless router you might have leechers.,
Dr.D
Dubai forums Addict

Apr 02, 2007
I have 1 MB too, everything fine except for online gaming, still a bit laggy since the past week or two.
hitender_s
Dubai Forums Member

Apr 02, 2007
check your wireless router

check your router & settings ( especially in Dlink, Linksys, Lucent & Aztech )

check for any electrical discharge/interfearence,

check your cables, the etisalat DP box for any loose connection

contact big E's sukcing customer support center
ahamed
Dubai chat master

Apr 02, 2007
Install DU Meter and see what's your real bandwidth.
I have 512 kbps at home at top it can still go up to 50 kBps when downloading. I can't get 100% (64kBps), but I guess noone can't too unless you have leased line (1:1).
xty
Dubai Forums Veteran

Apr 02, 2007
I had 512kbps around a week ago till i upgraded to 1mbps. And I got full download speed of 64 kbps when downloading. With good amount of seeders or uploaders, my downloads always went to 60+.
hitender_s
Dubai Forums Member

Apr 03, 2007
hitender_s wrote:I had 512kbps around a week ago till i upgraded to 1mbps. And I got full download speed of 64 kbps when downloading. With good amount of seeders or uploaders, my downloads always went to 60+.

64KBps (=512Kbps) is not good enough for 1Mbps connection. only 50%. consider 70% and up.
xty
Dubai Forums Veteran

Apr 03, 2007
:shock: agreeing with xty,

The connection speed divided by 8 bits/blocks is your actual transfer rate.
Lets say you have a 512MB Connection, then your transfer rate is:

512mb / 8 ( divided ) = 64 Kbps.

So for 1 MB Connection it will be 128 ( 1024 / 8 = 128Kbps ). Although it says 128 Kbps, you should be able to achieve a maximum of 126 Kbps at off peak & on less conjusted servers.

This also varies, if you are using limewire or bit torrent, online gaming, where the source has huge traffic + the route of packets.

Most commonly people make mistake here:

512 MB Connection DOES NOT Mean you have got 512 MEGA BYTE Connection, MB for connection types, stands for MEGA BITS,

So when you say you got a 1 MB Connection, you have got 1024 Mega BIT Connection & to calculate your transfer speed, you divide it by 8.

Wiki or google in for some preface about it.
ahamed
Dubai chat master

Apr 03, 2007
:shock: agreeing with xty,

The connection speed divided by 8 bits/blocks is your actual transfer rate.
Lets say you have a 512MB Connection, then your transfer rate is:

512mb / 8 ( divided ) = 64 Kbps.

So for 1 MB Connection it will be 128 ( 1024 / 8 = 128Kbps ). Although it says 128 Kbps, you should be able to achieve a maximum of 126 Kbps at off peak & on less conjusted servers.

This also varies, if you are using limewire or bit torrent, online gaming, where the source has huge traffic + the route of packets.

Most commonly people make mistake here:

512 MB Connection DOES NOT Mean you have got 512 MEGA BYTE Connection, MB for connection types, stands for MEGA BITS,

So when you say you got a 1 MB Connection, you have got 1024 Mega BIT Connection & to calculate your transfer speed, you divide it by 8.

Wiki or google in for some preface about it.
ahamed
Dubai chat master

Apr 03, 2007
True, but 64kbps i got wid 512k connection
wid my new 1mbps connection i get around 130 download speed
hitender_s
Dubai Forums Member

Apr 03, 2007
jabbajabba are you using cable or DSL ? if your using DSL you shouldnt be worried about others in the building having internet too since the bandwidth goes directly to you versus cable where its shared.

The only thing that affects you is how far you are from the box that provides you with DSL connectivity.
MaaaD
Dubai Forums Zealot

Apr 03, 2007
I have DSL - but don't you still get a contention rate at the exchange?

I have gone back to using Ethernet which has shown some improvement in the speed and is more reliable.

I have one of those crappy Siemens Speedstream the Etisalat gives you - I am sure its not right drops connections from the next room all the time.

I think I will try and buy a Linksys WRT54G if i can get one - had one in the UK and it was a great bit of kit.

Anyone got any other to advise on (w routers?)
jabbajabba
Dubai chat master

Apr 04, 2007
jabbajabba wrote:I have one of those crappy Siemens Speedstream the Etisalat gives you - I am sure its not right drops connections from the next room all the time.
I think I will try and buy a Linksys WRT54G if i can get one - had one in the UK and it was a great bit of kit.
Anyone got any other to advise on (w routers?)

Siemens modem/router is not good. Why? Here's the story. My landline number (04-39605xx) I guess was one of the Siemens' help desk number. So for first few months after installing, I got so many calls from customers asking for Siemens wireless modem/router problems. So I know this product is not good ;)
I heard many cases where Linksys routers often got hot/hang and needed to restart.
Aztech or DLink are good.
xty
Dubai Forums Veteran

Apr 07, 2007
Linksys WAG45GS :) , or if you are planning to go with any other advanced routers/modems, you can always play with MTU size :O)
ahamed
Dubai chat master

posting in Dubai high tech talkForum Rules

Return to Dubai high tech talk