What Apps?

Topic locked
What Apps? Nov 21, 2011
After suffering insomnia again, I was watching Sky News at some unearthly hour when an advert appeared for the Iphone4 (G) I think it was (G) it may have been (GS).

A lady was asking her iphone if she needed an umbrella. Apparantly there is an app available for this.

Now I'm not sure if this is a sign of me getting old but I usually look up to see if I need an umberella.

What app do you have on your phone that you actually use and could you live without it?

Bethsmum
UAE, Dubai Forums Lord of the posts

Re: What Apps? Nov 21, 2011
Bethsmum wrote:After suffering insomnia again, I was watching Sky News at some unearthly hour when an advert appeared for the Iphone4 (G) I think it was (G) it may have been (GS).

A lady was asking her iphone if she needed an umbrella. Apparantly there is an app available for this.

Now I'm not sure if this is a sign of me getting old but I usually look up to see if I need an umberella.

What app do you have on your phone that you actually use and could you live without it?

I'm fed up with hearing about APPS
sage & onion
Dubai Shadow Wolf

Me too Sage, I'm not an app person at all.
Chocoholic
Miss DubaiForums 2005

Sleeps to XMas.jpg
Sing along with Santa!
Sleeps to XMas.jpg (9.43 KiB) Viewed 3225 times

Well I simply couldn’t live without my new 'Sleeps To Christmas 2' - Christmas Countdown with animated Characters! The sequel to the best-selling Christmas App, Sleeps to Christmas!

Countdown to Christmas with all new ANIMATED Christmas characters and a high quality soundtrack of popular Christmas songs!

These characters and animations are all included for free!!!!

* Santa laughs and waves!
* Christmas Elf makes a toy for you!
* Snowman waves and has an amusing accident!
* Gingerbread man proves irresistible!

And the snowman’s amusing accident is reeeeeeaaaaaaly funny! :lol:

Shake your device to ring the sleigh bells!

And best of all the app is entirely FREEEEEEEEEEE!!

:lol: :lol: :lol:
Dillon
Dubai Master of Thread Hijackers

Re: What Apps? Nov 22, 2011
Wonderful, sing along with Santa.
sage & onion
Dubai Shadow Wolf

sage & onion wrote:Wonderful, sing along with Santa.

I see the three smileys flew straight over your turban onions, whoosh! You shouldn’t attempt sarcasm you know, as you’re really not very good at it! :lol:

On a more serious note, I use Skype through a VPN for international telephone calls, WhatsApp for free messaging, a conversion app to compare the different International standards of measurement and a PDF reader, all on a daily basis, I did download a game once, but that just frustrated me and before any international travel, I will download guides, maps etc in case they’re needed.

While I understand there’s a lot of dross out there to fill your phones and PDA’s, if you’re selective, I’m sure there are some really useful ones for every walk of business and personal life.

Only 33 Sleeps to go! Jingle Bells, Jingle Bells, Jingle all the waay…

:lol: :lol: :lol:
Dillon

I use WhatsApp for free messaging as international text messages can be mighty expensive! I have managed to reduced my monthly bills from hundreds of £££ to £45.00 per month. Brilliant! More pocket money for Christmas Chardonnay and Bombay Sapphire :D

That's about it for me but I am mesmirised by the Apps my friend from uses. She has an Iphone and when her and her son knocked their iphones together, his photos transferred to her phone. She also had an App where she spoke into the phone and it spoke back to her in a funny voice. Most amusing sitting on the balcony of my place in JBR :D I think she downloads all these Apps while on shift for BA :shock:

And yes Dillon, only 33 sleeps left but before that I think we should wish Bora Happy Thanksgiving!
Although I can't imagine her getting out into the fields to bring the crops in :D

Happy Thanksgiving to our American friends!
Bethsmum
UAE, Dubai Forums Lord of the posts

Whatsapp is great, I have it on my BB for non-BB friends and family.

There's one app that I do really like, it's called Shazam and when you come across a song or a piece of music that you like, but can't remember who it's by or what it is, you start it, hold it up to the speaker so it can 'listen' then it goes and searches it's database and comes back with the Artist, Title and Album - brilliant.
Chocoholic
Miss DubaiForums 2005

I’ve always wondered why the US Thanksgiving is always held on a Thursday? I can understand the reasons for holding it at a regular time of Year as it's a public Holiday, but to take Thursday as a holiday and have to go back to work for a day before the weekend doesn’t make a lot of sense to me! Harvest festivals in the UK are traditionally held on the Sunday nearest the Harvest Moon, which is the full Moon closest to the autumn equinox, apart from schoolchildren who distribute the harvest displays to the elderly and needy after the services, it passes without much more recognition as far as I am aware.

Anyway, happy thanksgiving to all who celebrate this Thursday :)

I received a promotional E Mail from Jaxtrsms.com who claimed their cross platform application would send SMS messages to any mobile phone regardless of whether there is a copy of jaxtr on the recipients phone, local or international, free of charge, it doesn’t work here in the UAE, I contacted their support desk and they say they’re working on UAE cover, maybe it’ll work in the UK?

:)
Dillon

Re: What Apps? Nov 23, 2011
I have this liquor app, that is worthless. Every time you have a drink, you supposed to enter it in the app. If according to the app you had too much to drink, it dials a cab company.

With one and a half bottle of vodka (not that I ever drink that), it still doesn't advice you to take a cab. Come to think of it, you are probably dead after that, so no cab needed after all.
Flying Dutchman
Dubai Forums Zealot

Re: What Apps? Nov 23, 2011
Dillon wrote:I’ve always wondered why the US Thanksgiving is always held on a Thursday? I can understand the reasons for holding it at a regular time of Year as it's a public Holiday, but to take Thursday as a holiday and have to go back to work for a day before the weekend doesn’t make a lot of sense to me! Harvest festivals in the UK are traditionally held on the Sunday nearest the Harvest Moon, which is the full Moon closest to the autumn equinox, apart from schoolchildren who distribute the harvest displays to the elderly and needy after the services, it passes without much more recognition as far as I am aware.

Anyway, happy thanksgiving to all who celebrate this Thursday :)

I received a promotional E Mail from Jaxtrsms.com who claimed their cross platform application would send SMS messages to any mobile phone regardless of whether there is a copy of jaxtr on the recipients phone, local or international, free of charge, it doesn’t work here in the UAE, I contacted their support desk and they say they’re working on UAE cover, maybe it’ll work in the UK?

Happy Thanksgiving Dillon. In the US it is a four day weekend!!!! No work the next day!!!

PS: I don't know diddley about apps.

:)

-- Wed Nov 23, 2011 8:40 am --

Bethsmum wrote:I use WhatsApp for free messaging as international text messages can be mighty expensive! I have managed to reduced my monthly bills from hundreds of £££ to £45.00 per month. Brilliant! More pocket money for Christmas Chardonnay and Bombay Sapphire :D

That's about it for me but I am mesmirised by the Apps my friend from uses. She has an Iphone and when her and her son knocked their iphones together, his photos transferred to her phone. She also had an App where she spoke into the phone and it spoke back to her in a funny voice. Most amusing sitting on the balcony of my place in JBR :D I think she downloads all these Apps while on shift for BA :shock:

And yes Dillon, only 33 sleeps left but before that I think we should wish Bora Happy Thanksgiving!
Although I can't imagine her getting out into the fields to bring the crops in :D

Happy Thanksgiving to our American friends!

Thanks BM!!! And a very Happy Thanksgiving to you and Beth.

I would certainly go to the crops to get fresh food. I would just tell the housemaid what to pick. :D
Bora Bora
Dubai OverLord

Re: What Apps? Nov 26, 2011
Come on Bora, how can you not be driven to learn about apps when they can provide FREE P2P (Peer to Peer) communications and calls to US Landlines and mobiles for $0.023/Min PAYG or $1.25/Month UNLIMITED by subscription!

You must have had a privileged childhood! By gum, I can remember when I were a lad, the only time we had a fruitbowl on the sideboard was when we had visitors!

:lol: :lol:
Dillon

Re: What Apps? Nov 27, 2011
I just can't get the Budweiser advert out of my head when I look at this thread.

Wwwwwwwwaaaaaaaaaasssssssssssup

-- Sun Nov 27, 2011 7:00 pm --

Chocoholic wrote:Whatsapp is great, I have it on my BB for non-BB friends and family.

There's one app that I do really like, it's called Shazam and when you come across a song or a piece of music that you like, but can't remember who it's by or what it is, you start it, hold it up to the speaker so it can 'listen' then it goes and searches it's database and comes back with the Artist, Title and Album - brilliant.

Do you come across many pieces?
spellcheckergirl
Dubai Forums Frequenter

Re: What Apps? Nov 30, 2011
spellcheckergirl wrote:
Chocoholic wrote:Whatsapp is great, I have it on my BB for non-BB friends and family.

Do you come across many pieces?

Who said; "I hate those mieces... to pieces" and who were those mieces?

:lol:
Dillon

Re: What Apps? Nov 30, 2011
For BlackBerry users, who is heavy into emails, I would suggest Email++, which has features like:
- Convert To: Instantly convert emails into Appointments, Meetings, Memos or Tasks.
- Forward/Reply with Edit: Respond to or forward emails with attachments and yet be able to edit the original message or even remove the original message.
- Unsend: Avoid send accidents. Unsend your sent emails before going oops!!
- Set Priority: Set priority of new emails as well as emails that are already in your inbox. A great way to flag messages.
- Block: Block/filter emails by address or subject (exact or keyword based) with customizable actions such as Move To Junk, Delete and Mark Read.
- My Availability: Get your availability for a specific day or a week.
- My Location: Instantly get your GPS/Cell tower coordinates, address and a map url with you on it and include it in your email.
- Message Preview: Microsoft Outlook like popups no matter on which app you are, with instant action buttons such as Delete, Mark Read and View.

AppWorld: http://appworld.blackberry.com/webstore/content/58884
MobiHand: http://www.mobihand.com/product.asp?id=739154
devcellent
Dubai Expat Wannabe

Re: What Apps? Dec 22, 2011
i find WhatsApp worth vouching for. otherwise I am not an App person.
avianisha
Dubai Forums Member

Re: What Apps? Apr 02, 2012
As web developer, the apps I can't live without are my IM apps and of course PocketCloud. :) A bit of games too. :) This is the techy side of me talking.. Hahahaha
theresaibs
Dubai Expat Wannabe

Re: What Apps? Apr 03, 2012
Poweramp- Built in music clients are so overrated.
prowheels
Dubai forums Addict

Re: What Apps? May 02, 2012
What App is really very good App that offers free messaging between those who have What Apps on there phone. You can use on all platform whether it is Windows or Android or IOS. You just need to download and install it.
Brynnae
Dubai Forums Enthusiast

posting in Dubai high tech talkForum Rules

Return to Dubai high tech talk