Regarding Vmware

Topic locked
Regarding Vmware Nov 23, 2007
Hi Everybody

This is my first query in this forum. i have reading the discussions in this firm from few days. i am a computer engineer working as IT Professional. i want to know how useful is vmware for learning pupose.

and also i want to purchase a new system for myself specially for vmware so what should be the right configuration of the system.

my main aim to establish myself as sys. admin and i want to start from scratch so what are the topics i should go through. although i have done MCA and CCNA, i am not novice but i don't have much practical experience as i have never directly associated with IT job. what should be the right approach. one of my friend suggest me that i should install vmware that is very good for practicing.

Thanks in advance

Rocktheworld
Dubai Expat Wannabe

Nov 23, 2007
okay I'm a bit confused vmware is a utility so you can allocate a portion of your windows machine to run linux, I have it on one of my laptops and have sparingly used it with no issues.

But if you're planning to buy a machine why would you just not build it as a unix machine wouldn't that make more sense?

Anyway welcome to the forums and whatever you decide best of luck :)
fayz
Dubai Forums Knight
Location: take a left at the Bebsi interchange, that is the Bebsi interchange

Nov 23, 2007
Thanks Fayz for ur prompt reply. what i learned from my friend that vmware is an utility through which one can create virtual network and n no's of scenerio and practice as u r working in real enviornment. i have no idea about its relation with unix
Rocktheworld
Dubai Expat Wannabe

Nov 23, 2007
ah ok, it looks like you are using vm for a different purpose then I.

VMware, is used to create a virtual machine, I run Linux on my 'virtual machine partition' but you're right in that you could create a bunch of virtual machines and then network them. I know nothing about networks so can't offer any input on pros and cons of this approach.

good luck :)
fayz
Dubai Forums Knight
Location: take a left at the Bebsi interchange, that is the Bebsi interchange

Nov 24, 2007
vmware is excellent i have been using it for years. The premise of it is you can run different operating systems withing your host operating system. So its very useful for testing and playing around with system without physically changing anything on your system.

If you plan to run many virtual machines get a laptop with lots of memory. I have a 2 GB laptop and when i run two simulate nous vmwares i feel a performance hit. You can ofcourse specify how much memory you want to allocate to each machine.

As for networking you have many options too, you can network different virtual machines to each other or have them network with the outside world via your host machine too.

Another great feature of vmware is creating snapshots which you can save and revert back to the original image or create a base image , etc ..

Vmware is a great tool and i cannot recommend it enough, but its pricey. you can go for microsoft virtual PC for a cheaper option.

best of luck !
MaaaD
Dubai Forums Zealot

is good Nov 25, 2007
but u cant use software on weak hardware to give u performance.

And then of the day,,you need hardware to give u that boost...

So dont rely tooo much on vmware...
guest999

Nov 26, 2007
Yes vmware is great for learning and test environments just make sure you have a lot of memory and a powerful processor. It will be useful if you want to install linux without modifying your partition table, you can create networked virtual machines and customize them as you want without purchasing new hardware, you can add multiple disk drives for example if you want to setup raid or something.
debian
Dubai Forums Member

posting in Dubai high tech talkForum Rules

Return to Dubai high tech talk