Private Web Hosting

Topic locked
Private Web Hosting Jun 18, 2008
Ladies & Gentlemen,

I am moving to Dubai in a few weeks and I've been hosting my own web/mail server at home for the last few years with very good results, now my new apartment already has "cencurnet" provided by DU and I was wondering if anyone has experience with a similar setup ? I know that the upload speed is not the best but for basic emails and some photos it would be enough.

Can't wait to get access to "The latest fiber-optic technology brings high speed Broadband directly to your home" it's like a time travel to 1999 :cry:

Thanks in advance for any replies I might get.
Chris

christopher_sweden
Dubai Expat Wannabe

Jun 18, 2008
You mean a server setup for use only at home? That's not dependent on ISP.

But I guess you're accessing your home server from remote locations. I'm not very knowledgeable about that kind of setup - don't you need a fixed IP for that? You'd have to try and buy one I think. Etisalat, so I presume Du also, uses dynamic IP addresses for normal internet connections.

Web hosting can be bought for $5 per month, and probably less.
bonk
Dubai Master of Thread Hijackers

Jun 18, 2008
thanks for your quick reply, I use ddclient and dyndns so a dynamic IP won't be an issue but some providers block people from hosting servers at home because they want to force them to pay for hosting instead and it won't surprise me if DU and E are amongst the companies blocking services like that. My server has been running for a long time and I got a very special config that would need a root server or similar and they cost 40-60USD a month so a cheap 5USD provider wont work but thanks for the tip.

I guess I have to wait and see once I'm in Dubai, worst case I would have to move to a hosting provider.
christopher_sweden
Dubai Expat Wannabe

Jun 25, 2008
hi,
as i know E don't block this kind of services, don't know about DU but i use DU service at hoem and it's not bad and i can say its fine, its very stable when it's very important but take care its not dedecated service its a simple private vlan sharing and the static IP will be urs dont worry of the lease.
I just wanna ask if you don't mind, is this server for your personal use or you rent it to others? i believe in both renting space from any data centre is much secure and reliable, i have my own small work in hosting for others and all i do now is collecting money at the end of every year and bay some to my hosting provider (not that big money by the way but also its not my main business right now).
any how good luck and welcome to dubai
yasrkasem
Dubai Forums Frequenter

Jun 25, 2008
it's only for my private domain and I'm not looking at making money from hosting it at home. It's more of a hobby and I got a backup MX that would take care of any downtime.

Thank you all for your replies, will try once I arrive in Dubai.
christopher_sweden
Dubai Expat Wannabe

Jul 09, 2008
you can just host with google apps. free and always up.

All or most internet Hobbies die when dealing with uae isps :)

Cheers,

D
smartd
Dubai Forums Vice-Admin

Hi! Aug 31, 2008
hi christopher,

i need some information.I also want to host a web server at home.
what are the things involved in this.it will be gr8 if u can share some information about this.would prefer a cheap solution or using some freeware as it will be just a test one.

thanks

vin
vprince
Dubai Forum Guest

BUSY ACCOUNTING SOFTWARE (INDIA) Aug 31, 2008
Dear Sir,

We are dealers of BUSY ACCOUNTING SOFTWARE which is having the following features.

BUSY is an integrated business accounting software for small and medium businesses. With over 42,000 installations (over 3 Lac Users) in India and abroad, BUSY is one of the leading accounting software in INDIA.

The salient features of BUSY are:

Financial Accounting (Multi-Currency)
Multi-location Inventory Management
Production / Bill of Material
Sales / Purchase Order Processing
Fully User-configurable Invoicing
User-configurable Documents / Letters
Sales Tax Reports / Registers
VAT Returns / Registers (State-wise)
Mfg. / Trading Excise Registers
Service Tax / TDS / FBT
Direct E-Mail / SMS Facility
MIS Reports & Analysis

If you have any such requirement for you or for your clients please contact the undersinged.

Thanks.

CHANDRAKANT
PARTH INFOTECH
Mob. 0091-9860153201
parthinfotech
Dubai Expat Wannabe

Sep 13, 2008
you might want to try these guys. I host with them and no issues at all.

www.tlddirect.com
vicarage
Dubai Forums Enthusiast

posting in Dubai high tech talkForum Rules

Return to Dubai high tech talk