Port Forwarding?

Topic locked
Port Forwarding? Nov 22, 2006
Hey,
I have a linksys router and trying to put some apps under port forwarding (namely Bitcomet and TightVNC).

In the port forwarding place, there is a field called Application. Then the other fields are where you enter the port numbers etc.

My question is, in the Application field, can I put any name of the app (example bitcom), or shoudl it be the same as the .exe filename?

According to a guide i saw on portforward.com, it looks like they put any name.

Secondly, if I have to use the same program but on multiple ports, is it OK to name the apps bitcomet1, bitcomet2 etc (I guess this would be answered from my 1st qst).
If NO to qst 1, is it ok to use the same app. name numerous times, for different ports?

Hope you're getting what I'm asking.

Cheers!
:)

ineedacoolnick
Dubai forums Addict

Re: Port Forwarding? Nov 22, 2006
ineedacoolnick wrote:Hey,
My question is, in the Application field, can I put any name of the app (example bitcom), or shoudl it be the same as the .exe filename?

You can put any name.

Secondly, if I have to use the same program but on multiple ports, is it OK to name the apps bitcomet1, bitcomet2 etc (I guess this would be answered from my 1st qst).
If NO to qst 1, is it ok to use the same app. name numerous times, for different ports?

You can do either, the router doesn't care, it's more so you can identify why you've opened the port.
^ian^
UAE, Dubai Forums Lord of the posts

Nov 22, 2006
Shukran very much! :)
ineedacoolnick
Dubai forums Addict

Nov 22, 2006
http://www.portforward.com/

should help with everything regarding port forwarding
cheap_Deal
Dubai forums Addict

Nov 22, 2006
cheap_Deal wrote:http://www.portforward.com/

should help with everything regarding port forwarding

Thanks. Ive been 2 that site and thats where i saw the funny app. names, thus i asked!

:)
ineedacoolnick
Dubai forums Addict

Nov 23, 2006
if you are having problems with bit torrents, there are known bugs with linksys wrt54g routers, if you do a google search you'll find a patch to fix this and additional info.

Keep us posted and good luck.
fayz
Dubai Forums Knight
Location: take a left at the Bebsi interchange, that is the Bebsi interchange

Nov 24, 2006
fayz wrote:if you are having problems with bit torrents, there are known bugs with linksys wrt54g routers, if you do a google search you'll find a patch to fix this and additional info.

Keep us posted and good luck.

Thanks fayz. No, not having a 'problem' with bitcomet, i just wanted to get the max. speed out of it. Port forwarding now works, however when on wireless yesterday it wasnt for some reason.

BUT can anyone with experience tell me - i have a 1mb line - the max speed i got downloading a good, new torrent with lots of seeders was 115k or so.

Is this normal or can i go up?
On other torrents it averages about 50k or so.

Thanks.
ineedacoolnick
Dubai forums Addict

posting in Dubai high tech talkForum Rules

Return to Dubai high tech talk