Network Latency To US Only Hosted Sites In Dubai

Topic locked
Network latency to US only hosted sites in dubai May 25, 2007
Hello, i am currently not in dubai so wanted to ask dubai based techies a question. How bad is the network latency when you visit a site hosted in the US (and not cached via distritbution networks such as akamai) from a typical broadband connection (1-2mbps) in dubai?

According to some stats on the internet, average cross-atlantic latency is between 70-80ms. So I am guessing, from US to dubai it would be around 150-170ms?

Any info will be greatly appreciated. I am thinking of hosting a site for dubai consumers and can't figure out if I can get away with hosting it on a US provider with acceptable latency.

thanks!

nomif
Dubai Expat Wannabe

May 26, 2007
goes beyond 150-170ms at times. Generaly, latency remains neutral except for the downtime ( which is most of the time ). although the pages visited from u.a.e are cached on etisalat servers, the latency as i think is not really static

.com & hosting business sucks in dubai these days!
ahamed
Dubai chat master

May 26, 2007
ahamed wrote:goes beyond 150-170ms at times. Generaly, latency remains neutral except for the downtime ( which is most of the time ). although the pages visited from u.a.e are cached on etisalat servers, the latency as i think is not really static

.com & hosting business sucks in dubai these days!

Actually latency all depends on where you're at in Dubai as well. Even though visited pages are cached on Etisalat Servers, latency can vary.

For example: Most areas based on a 1Mbps - 2Mbps connection, your latency can be anywhere between 150 - 330ms .. Why such a difference?

It depends on location and construction. Too much steel, locations like Green Community that are well away from the city, etc

I have a business in the US hosted by godaddy.com and I also have a business in Dubai hosted by a local company here, and as ahamed said, hosting sucks in Dubai.

godaddy.com, one of the best hosting companies in my opinion, compared to localhosting in Dubai, has superior connections, virtually no downtime, more features, superb customer service, whereas in Dubai, you will pay about 10 times more for hosting than in the US, and the service sucks.

Ah well.. I can't wait till these dorks get T1, T3 and DS3 connections here and make it affordable but thats highly unlikely. T1 is availble but at the price of a 1 Bedroom apartment :P
nosoup4u
Dubai Expat Helper

thanks guys May 28, 2007
Thanks guys, that answered my questions. I will probably go with a US hosting provider to start with then and keep an eye on the local hosting market. Thanks.
nomif
Dubai Expat Wannabe

posting in Dubai high tech talkForum Rules

Return to Dubai high tech talk