Laptop Suggestions?

Topic locked
Laptop suggestions? Feb 26, 2006
So I just moved to a new place and am now in need of a computer. I will be in the market for a laptop in the next few weeks and would love suggestions on what I should check out. I have been thinking about making the move to a MAC so if anyone has info about iBooks that would be super helpful.

I am also going to need wireless for 3-4 months (before I head back to the states) so advice on a cost effective service would be wonderful as well.

hetherjw
Dubai Forums Member

Feb 27, 2006
Go to computer plaza in Bur Dubai, there are loads of computer shops there, you can haggle over the price and play the shops off on one another to get a good price plus extras thrown in for free. Some makes they price fix like the Sony's, but many others are fair game.
Chocoholic
Miss DubaiForums 2005

Feb 27, 2006
Jumbo in Bur Dubai offer great after sales service.
barastisundowner
Dubai Forums Enthusiast

Feb 27, 2006
Apple note books are very expensive in dubai. may be because they are not that popular. I know one shop on sheikh zayed road where you can buy apple notebooks. HP, sony, etc you can buy from bur dubai...there is a market i think its called Al Ain center...its in front of Jumbo electronics....prices are very reasonable there.
cadmus
Dubai forums Addict

Feb 28, 2006
Plus aren't laptops cheaper in the states anyway assuming you can wait the 3 or 4 months until you head back.
fayz
Dubai Forums Knight
Location: take a left at the Bebsi interchange, that is the Bebsi interchange

Feb 28, 2006
just purchased a HP-Pavilion 4000 last month from computer plaza, bur dubai. you can choose from HP, Toshiba, Sony, Lenovo, Dell etc.
But i feel HP's specs are good as compared to the price.

you can compare the prices there based on the kind of configuration you want.
ajoy
Dubai Forums Frequenter

Mar 01, 2006
Acer Extensa (not sure this the correct spelling):
- Good price.
- 3 yrs warranty local; 1yr warranty international.
- Good specs; centrino chip so wireless is built-in.
- Poor battery life, but you can adjust power settings.

Toshiba has some good models same as Acer Extensa, but more expensive with little more battery life.

LG P1 Express Dual is one powerful laptop and with good battery life.

Apple notebooks have good design and they are good for graphics, but they have less support for windows based products.
Nucleus
Dubai Forums Veteran

Mar 01, 2006
For the love of god, stay the heck away from LG laptops, Everyone i know with one has nothing but problems with it. Too bad as they look really kewl, i like there tablets.
fayz
Dubai Forums Knight
Location: take a left at the Bebsi interchange, that is the Bebsi interchange

Mar 01, 2006
Acer has my vote :)
jag
Dubai forums Addict

Mar 01, 2006
Go for apple....no comparison

I think therefor I MAC!
cadmus
Dubai forums Addict

Mar 01, 2006
Great deal on Acer with Centrina and dual layer DVD RW at Geant 2799Dhs
arniegang
UAE, Dubai Forums Lord of the posts

Mar 07, 2006
Thanks for all the suggestions!

I am going to be away for 2 of the next 3 weeks so it will be laptop shopping time come 1/4/06.

Fayz: if I could wait to get back to the states I could save some $$... but that is a very big IF. Living alone=need computer!
hetherjw
Dubai Forums Member

laptop Mar 07, 2006
Dell inspiron 6000 is not bad.
I bought it in Jamboo about half year ago.
just check it out , there are more brand you can take.

good luck...
geraintindxb
Dubai Forums Talker

Dec 18, 2006
I would like to buy a notebook in Dubai. If you please could tell me the prices of some Notebooks there in Dubai, so I can compare them with the prices here in Germany.

-Toshiba Tecre M7 ( I think its the M7-138 ) with Core 2 Duo and 1024 MB
- Toshiba M400 Protege with Core 2 Duo and 1024 MB
- Acer C213 with 1024 MB
- Sony Vaio VGN-FE31Z with core 2 DUO and 2048 MB
- Asus R1F-K017T with core 2 Duo and 1024 MB

It would be a great favour, because I am currently here in Germany and I will probably come to visit Dubai next month.

I thank you in Advance!
darkangel1
Dubai Expat Wannabe

Dec 18, 2006
Is it chepar than in US?
Burken
Dubai forums Addict

Dec 18, 2006
Do not buy the chunky hp pavilions (series dv4000 up). I have a dv5000.. The chasis is very flimsy- wherever you put pressure on it makes a sound. The ''altec lansing'' speaker gives me a shock from time to time, the CD ROM drive is very flimsy as well. I had a serious problem with the internal hardware because of a cdrom drive fault... Considering I had the laptop last October only... booo!
pinoy1
Dubai chat master

Dec 18, 2006
pinoy1 wrote:Do not buy the chunky hp pavilions (series dv4000 up). I have a dv5000.. The chasis is very flimsy- wherever you put pressure on it makes a sound. The ''altec lansing'' speaker gives me a shock from time to time, the CD ROM drive is very flimsy as well. I had a serious problem with the internal hardware because of a cdrom drive fault... Considering I had the laptop last October only... booo!

Then which one should i get? I am planning to get HP too. :(
asc_26
Dubai forums GURU

Dec 18, 2006
asc_26 wrote:Then which one should i get? I am planning to get HP too. :(

get MAC, funnier :wink: :wink:
MAC
Dubai Expat Helper

Dec 18, 2006
MAC wrote:

I am afraid lots of autospam installed in it. 8)
asc_26
Dubai forums GURU

Dec 18, 2006
asc_26 wrote:
MAC wrote:

I am afraid lots of autospam installed in it. 8)

Maaad where are you?
MAC
Dubai Expat Helper

Dec 18, 2006
I have an ibook G4 and I LOVE it!!!! Once you switch to a mac you NEVER go back. I have only had a problem with the hard drive once after about 2.5 years, but it was amazingly taken care of by apple. It is fast, so easy to use..I just really like it. And if you do invest in an apple make sure to sign up for the Protection Plan. For the first year it is free but after that it is I believe $299 or $200 (I forget) for two more years of coverage and you can renew after that. But this protection plan is out of this world. You have a problem , you call them up, if it cannot be fixed over the phone they will send you a prepaid box (no matter where you are in the world, even if your on vacation) you ship it back to them (its already paid). They constantly keep you in the loop with emails saying they received it, fixing it, and sending it back, with all the tracking numbers. When I sent mine in for my hard drive, they uploaded 30GB onto my hard drive, uploaded the whole operating system, and replaced the keyboard (the letters on the buttons were fading) ...I got it back and it was like a whole new computer. Anyway they just have really good customer service.
noni
Dubai chat master

Dec 18, 2006
noni wrote:Anyway they just have really good customer service.

They BETTER have good customer service, considering you pay $200-$299 for it, on top of the hiked price!
gtmash
Dubai forums GURU

Dec 18, 2006
gtmash wrote:

They BETTER have good customer service, considering you pay $200-$299 for it, on top of the hiked price!

but it is worth it. I know some people who still use their macs from the late 80's and early 90's....
noni
Dubai chat master

Dec 18, 2006
noni wrote:
gtmash wrote:

but it is worth it. I know some people who still use their macs from the late 80's and early 90's....

For Tetris?
gtmash
Dubai forums GURU

Dec 19, 2006

If you're going to have a HP, get one of the dv2000 series.
pinoy1
Dubai chat master

Dec 19, 2006
pinoy1 wrote:

Do u have the Duo Core processor or AMD one ?
Palkid7
Dubai chat master

Dec 19, 2006
pinoy1 wrote:

I am actually torn between the two HP or IBM. I looked around both brands are being manufactured in asia. I still prefer IBM but it seems scarce on here.

I want to buy the unit that is ideal to work with softwares such as flash macromedia, autocad and other softwares for presentations.
asc_26
Dubai forums GURU

Dec 19, 2006
asc_26 wrote:I am actually torn between the two HP or IBM. I looked around both brands are being manufactured in asia. I still prefer IBM but it seems scarce on here.

I want to buy the unit that is ideal to work with softwares such as flash macromedia, autocad and other softwares for presentations.

then u need high grafix card !! I looked into IBM they don't have models with this option in the local market, yet HP does. I am still doing a research on laptops and might buy one by next week, might help each other there in selecting a good one !!
Palkid7
Dubai chat master

Dec 19, 2006
ok then Palkid. Let me know which one you've got after canvassing and its price as well. My budget should not be more than Dhs.5000/- all accessories should be inclusive. :D (Kinda thrifty here).

Please let me know. I don't have much time to go around and check, i usually check those units thru ads and internet.
asc_26
Dubai forums GURU

Dec 20, 2006
INTEL P4 3.4 DUAL CORE - 2850.00AED
INTEL M/B 946
TWIMOS 1GB DDR 2
SEAGATE HDD 160GB SATA
LG DVD-WRITER 18X
SONY FDD
G/B 512MB PC- EXPRESS
LOGITECH K/B& OPTICAL MOUSE
ATX CASE G/B 400W