Etisalat 4Mbps

Topic locked
Etisalat 4Mbps Apr 06, 2009
Hi guys,

I am mulling over upgrading my connection to 4mbps. I currently have 1mbps and it does not, err satisfy my needs of quicker downloads and smooth internet browsing (watching HD movies and all).

So, this is a question for those who have had experience or are using the 4Mbps from Etisalat. How is it? Is it stable? Do you get 500kbps on torrents and normal downloads? I know its expensive but the amount of downloads i do, i am sure it will be worth the price for me.

Please help me out!

oldmanyoung
Dubai Forums Member

Apr 06, 2009
Hi.

I have been having 4mbps for a long time, and I have to say its quite satisfying. When I download something, I usually get around 450+ kbps for constant time. That concers the normal downloads.

I use a download manager which gives me that result. Using the normal internet explorer download or firefox may give you 400+ at the start but reduce afterwards, but that does not make a big difference.

As far as torrents are concerned, i tried just once, and i remember i got 60+kbps. I dont know if it was peak time or not.

Watching HD movies is possible too with smooth video, and browsing is cool. :)

Overall, I am pretty satisfied...:D
a_y_a_z_z
Dubai Forum User

Apr 06, 2009
Thanks a lot for your reply ayazz.

I guess you aren't a heavy torrent user or used public trackers to download?

Anyway, 450 is pretty reasonable, though it should be around 500kbps. Bloody etisalat! One guy who has 4mbps says his speed tops at 320kbps max. Which is pretty bad. I am confused.

Were do you live ayazz? PM me if you don't want to say it here.
oldmanyoung
Dubai Forums Member

Apr 07, 2009
I stay in Ajman in Al Zahra Area.^^

I dont use torrent because i think its too slow. I can't bear to wait a whole day to wait for the download to finish.

Besides with this blocking system, many trackers are not available.

The best is to use megaupload and rapidshare!!:D
a_y_a_z_z
Dubai Forum User

Apr 07, 2009
Maybe you haven't tasted private trackers!

Also, look into your router ports. Get them open. Torrents will work fast then.

I think i will upgrade. If i don't like it, i can also downgrade!
oldmanyoung
Dubai Forums Member

Apr 08, 2009
You should get around 500KBps....I am on 1mbps connection and with my ports open i get speeds around 120KBps on private trackers
NoName01
Dubai Forums Member

Apr 09, 2009
can anyone tell me how to open the router ports?
a_y_a_z_z
Dubai Forum User

Apr 09, 2009
Google for 'Portforward' (I can't post links!)

That's all you need. Find your router model (although, even if your router is not listed, try and get the hang of what is being required and then do the same in your router), choose bitorrent and follow the instructions. The ports you open and the port on your torrent client should be the same.

Done!
oldmanyoung
Dubai Forums Member

Apr 09, 2009
Called 'em for an upgrade. 8) 24 hrs or 48 hrs. I can't wait!
oldmanyoung
Dubai Forums Member

Apr 10, 2009
okay thanxx!!!:D I ll get to it..^^
a_y_a_z_z
Dubai Forum User

Apr 11, 2009
Damnit. Two days and still no increase in speed. Contracted Etisalat PC chat assistance and they say "ASAP...no time frame."

Wtf. I want the speed now!! :cry:
oldmanyoung
Dubai Forums Member

Apr 12, 2009
my-speedtest dot com has a free tool to check your speed.
Scroll down the page to find the tool at bottom. It will do a small upload and then download and give you your up and down speeds. Free no charge test and I've used it before with no bad side effects.
canuckbid
Dubai forums Addict

Apr 12, 2009
canuckbid wrote:my-speedtest dot com has a free tool to check your speed.
Scroll down the page to find the tool at bottom. It will do a small upload and then download and give you your up and down speeds. Free no charge test and I've used it before with no bad side effects.

Yes, i know about the site. I have been doing tests ever since i called them. Heh.
oldmanyoung
Dubai Forums Member

Apr 12, 2009
speedtest net is also a good site to check the speed. There they show the global stats for countries, and ISP. they show the average speed for dubai and my ISP(etisalat) around 1.38mbps..:(
a_y_a_z_z
Dubai Forum User

Apr 13, 2009
Got the 4MB increase. But, of course, it is not 4MB. More like 2.5MB.

Speedtest gives a 3.4MB speed. Normal downloads varies between 120-280kbps and its not smooth. Torrent is 350kbps max. Browsing isn't all that fast. Jeez, Etisalat. Top bucks for a crappy connection.

I will speak to them. And then go back to my good old 1MB. Damnit.
oldmanyoung
Dubai Forums Member

Apr 13, 2009
I've had the 4mbps connection for ages now and I'm pretty happy with it. for normal downloads from good sites I get close to 500k/s and for good torrents I've had 400-450k/s. Of course, the speed of torrents depends on so many things so it's hard to judge.

Just make sure you go to portforward.com and follow the instructions for your particular router and torrent download program. Without that you'll never get the good speeds.

Bloody expensive compared to home, but I just can't live without my interwebs. :-)
Captain Australia
Dubai chat master

Apr 13, 2009
My torrent settings are all good. I used to max out in my 1MB connection. I am not why it does not work for the 4MB? Also, on normal sites, any site, i cannot go above 250kbps. Its' strange. SpeedTest shows my connection as 3.4MB. Will contact Etisalat now. Really useless.
oldmanyoung
Dubai Forums Member

posting in Dubai high tech talkForum Rules

Return to Dubai high tech talk