Medical Card

Topic locked
Medical Card May 22, 2006
Hi,

I recently moved to Dubai on an employment visa but have not yet received a medical card to entitle me to discounted medical care. My application was for an employment pack with medical coverage.

I enquired at the Government office and they said that the medical card would be posted to me but, after six weeks, I still haven't received it. Does anyone know who I contact to obtain this card?

Many thanks.

Ian.

iandavies
Dubai Forum Guest

May 22, 2006
Your employer should provide it I thought. Was it private medical cover or a government health card?

Ask whoever in the company made the application - your PRO probably.
sharewadi
Dubai Expat Helper

May 24, 2006
sharewadi wrote:Your employer should provide it I thought. Was it private medical cover or a government health card?

Ask whoever in the company made the application - your PRO probably.

Thanks for the response. I actually have a copy of the employment visa application form and it includes the package with medical cover. It is not private medical cover but a government health card. Any idea where I (or my employer) would get this from?

Thanks in advance.

Ian.
iandavies
Dubai Forum Guest

May 24, 2006
Ian,

My understanding is that a medical card and private insurance are as different as night and day. When I got my medical card people told me "put it away as it is worthless". Meaning that it can be used to go to the public hospitals or certain places but must places catering to westerns or with better care facilities which do not accept the card.

I do not know whether this is true or not (thus far I have had not used neither) but other members of this forum will know better.

My advise is that you should, if you can, negotiate or obtain private insurance as part of employment. Then again every situation is different. Sorry to provide you "bad news" but it is better that you are informed (or perhaps the medical card will suit your needs just fine).

All the best.
Concord
Dubai Forums Zealot

May 24, 2006
iandavies wrote:It is not private medical cover but a government health card. Any idea where I (or my employer) would get this from?

I find it odd (and a little worrying) that your employer doesn't know. Is this the first time they are getting a health card for someone? :shock: ...

The Ministry of Health would be my best guess (there must be a website - try www.government.ae for starters).

Concord wrote:My understanding is that a medical card and private insurance are as different as night and day. When I got my medical card people told me "put it away as it is worthless". Meaning that it can be used to go to the public hospitals or certain places but must places catering to westerns or with better care facilities which do not accept the card.

It's not really much different from anywhere in western countries where you have government vs private medical care.

It's true to say that most westerners would feel much more comfortable at one of the more reputable private hospitals like American or Welcare but even those places have generated stories of rooster-ups and dissatisfied customers.

I certainly wouldn't write it off as useless though - speaking from my own experiences. There are occasions where you won't have a choice - private hospitals are not equipped to deal with as many conditions as government hospitals. I expect that will change especially with places like Healthcare City being developed.

Of course, having said all that, I agree with Concord in that it's worth trying to negotiate private medical care as part of the package.
sharewadi
Dubai Expat Helper

posting in Health and Medicine in DubaiForum Rules

Return to Health and Medicine in Dubai