Single Woman's Life In Dubai

Topic locked
Single woman's life in Dubai Oct 11, 2007
Hi, I am new to the forum and have read several posts but still have questions.
1. I read elsewhere that you are not allowed to walk at night, and that people seen walking around are taken to jail and freed the next morning. This, apparently, in an effort to reduce crime at night.
Does anyone know if this is in fact true? Is "night" is defined as "as soon as it gets dark"? I have a dog I would take with me, and seeing how she is black, I'd have to exercise her at night and early in the morning. Will this pose a problem?
2. Also, will I be denied an apartment because I am a single woman, even though I am a professional? I am planning to work for an international company, in engineering. 3. Is Dubai like Florida, where you need a car to get anywhere and do anything? :cry: 4. Can I stay with male friends if I go visit for a week (before I decide to move there)? Can I have male friends come visit me for a week? Is anyone checking this? Thank you all very much.

njuner
Dubai Forum Guest

Oct 11, 2007
is this post a joke?

The going out at night problem referred too in your post is complete and utter nonsense. Where did you hear this from ??

There is hardly any crime at all in Dubai, and is certainly as safe as it gets anywhere in the world, for a single female to walk alone at night.

It is no problem to visit and have visitors either. I assume you are American?, this would explain the paranoia that you lot seem to have about the middle east.
arniegang
UAE, Dubai Forums Lord of the posts

Oct 11, 2007
Arniegang:

1. No, it is not a joke

2. This is where I read this from:
http://www.principalconsulting.com.au/ngn/engine/SID/1000105
and here:
http://guide.theemiratesnetwork.com/living/differences.php

I do not know what their source is, which is why I posted the question in a forum, to verify whether this is in fact true or not. According to you, it is not. Thank you for your response.

3. I was not at all implying it was unsafe to walk at night. My concern is not about safety, but about being stopped by the police according to reference in 2.

4. Your assumption is wrong.

5. You seem to have misunderstood me, I do not have paranoia. I read a few things and rather than believe them, I chose to verify whether they were true or not by asking others who live there and thus know more than me, such as yourself.

6. Questions 2 and 4 also came up as a consequence of reading the section Being with the Opposite S_x in one of the webpages mentioned before. According to you, there is no problem either. Thank you for your responses. Would you mind answering the car question? Is that also not true? Thanks, man.
njuner
Dubai Forum Guest

Oct 14, 2007
njuner wrote:Would you mind answering the car question? Is that also not true?

Dubai has a poor public transport system ans the metro is way off. So a car is recomended.
rvp_legend
Dubai forums Addict

Oct 31, 2007
This being arrested for walking over night is pure nonsense. On one hand the crime rate is very low, on the other being an arabic/oriental society there is a lot of activity happening after sunset. I mean, it is not suddenly going cold when the sun sets, especially in the summer it is just bearable AFTER the sun sets, and you go out accordingly.

Chris
Thufir
Dubai Forum Guest

Nov 04, 2007
Njuner,

Its not a problem walking at night. You won't get thrown in jail unless you are causing trouble ofcourse.

You will need a car to pretty much get around everywhere. Taxis are pretty cheap and plentiful though. So try and utilize that if you don't get a car when you first get here.

I am not sure about the staying with male friends part, should be fine though. Having visitors are not a problem.

You shouldn't be denied an apartments either provided you have all the documents required. But recommend you shop around first for apartments and if you have friends here already, talk to them as well. Have read that some villas are kicking people out as they are group of flatters instead of families and villas are meant for families. So that might be something to consider if you are looking at villas.

Good luck
abarawakijess
Dubai Forums Frequenter

Re: Single woman's life in Dubai Dec 27, 2007
1. It's generally safe to walk around alone at night. Naif Square is a bit dodgy. Women walking alone late at night are sometimes assumed to be prostitutes which could lead to arrest (unlikely if you're obviously a westerner), or ending up richer by the time you get home.

Sometimes people get picked up for being drunk in public (which is a crime) but this is rare unless you draw attention to yourself like try and borrow a sheikh's car (some US marines did this a week or two ago).

Overall, Dubai is safer than almost any other large city that I can think of.

Don't understand why a dog being black means you have restricted exercise times.

2. Technically yes in family areas, in reality no.

3. Some people survive without a car but I couldn't do it.

4. Technically, you'd be breaking the law that says you can't be in a room or car with a member of the opposite gender you're unrelated to. But in reality, there's rarely a problem (search for some of the topics about couples living together to get more opinions). Tourism would probably be cut in half if that law was strictly followed.
bonk
Dubai Master of Thread Hijackers

Feb 06, 2008
Dont believe what they tell u Dubai just isnt safe.I've had several friends visit there never to return.Myself I was walking the street(Daytime)and was bundled into a car and interrogated for 5 days.I then'woke up'on a military plane on the way back to the UK.All my possesions,money,passport gone.Many other people I've met there complain of being followed,are convinced their phones are taped,and know of other people who have gone missing.Stay in Florida,believe me its so much safer.
Alex1111
Dubai Forums Frequenter

Feb 06, 2008
Alex1111 wrote:I've had several friends visit there never to return.

Yeah, happens a lot. People enjoy the sun and tax-free salaries and new friends and don't feel like going home anymore :).
bonk

Feb 10, 2008
Alex1111 wrote:Dont believe what they tell u Dubai just isnt safe.I've had several friends visit there never to return.Myself I was walking the street(Daytime)and was bundled into a car and interrogated for 5 days.I then'woke up'on a military plane on the way back to the UK.All my possesions,money,passport gone.Many other people I've met there complain of being followed,are convinced their phones are taped,and know of other people who have gone missing.Stay in Florida,believe me its so much safer.

I don't know if this is sarcasm or not
scarlet
Dubai Forums Veteran

Feb 10, 2008
scarlet wrote:I don't know if this is sarcasm or not

Alex's level of grammar indicates to me that s/he isn't mentally astute enough to even comprehend the notion of sarcasm, let alone write some.

Maybe s/he visited Baghdad or Kabul for a holiday, thinking it was Dubai, and strolled around with an American flag hanging out of his/her arse...
bonk

Feb 11, 2008
Oh, now that would make sense. Thank you Bonk for your very astute analysis of an idiotic post.
scarlet
Dubai Forums Veteran

Feb 11, 2008
scarlet wrote: an idiotic post.

Yes, it was rather :).

I notice Alex has gone quiet on this thread. Now s/he's taking well written content from other websites and posting it in new topics as though s/he wrote it.
bonk

Feb 11, 2008
Yes he is now the property expert, i think he is in RE sales. Heaven help us.

BTW had a look at the original links from this thread - very scary about how living in the UAE is portrayed. Being here is a whole other matter.
scarlet
Dubai Forums Veteran

Feb 11, 2008
scarlet wrote:very scary about how living in the UAE is portrayed.

Yes. Don't know about the AU one, but it's disappointing that TEN publishes that nonsense.

Still, that's news and the internet for you. One drunk expat stumbling down Al Diyafah St who gets picked up by the cops makes more of a story than a hundred drunk expats getting home safely from Trilogy on the same night. And for slow people, one drunk can easily be translated to: all my friends visiting Dubai got abducted and sold to aliens...

Maybe it's just as well though. Imagine the traffic jams here if the rest of the world didn't believe Alex's crap.
bonk

Feb 11, 2008
Hmm I was having a late night saj at L&Z on Al Diyafah street when a drunk expat woman was being dragged stumbling down the street by an expat man of the same nationality man, seemingly against her will. After hesitation I got up and approached them as did a local man shortly after me. By the time I reached them, the woman was plonked down on the pavement and the man was trying to drag her up. I asked the woman if she was ok, did she want to go home with the man, she said no, he started yelling at me to leave them alone it was none of my business and he had to get her home before the police came. Just stay out of it b*tch or something to that extent. In the end I wandered off and so did the local man - we both muttered to each other it was a shame when strangers tried to help strangers this is what you get.
scarlet
Dubai Forums Veteran

Feb 11, 2008
to take a slightly different view.. On the lighter side ..The girl must've been really drunk n she would've kept falling down on the street n the guy chose to help her by holding her n draggin .. :) and then perhaps she wanted to sleep on the roadside on the pavement n thats y she said no i dont want to go.. whatever it is.. appreciate your willingness n instincts to help others and to keep an open eye.. rare qualities to find in dubai.

Or were u too drunk as well?
St.Lucifer
Dubai Forums Knight

Feb 13, 2008
Bonk and Scarlet judging from your comments it would seem you didnt take my post for the joke it was intended but perhaps believed it?mmm
That worries me.Do you also believe in UFOs and little green men?
I dont think a night out with you two twats would be much fun.Ciao dudes
Alex1111
Dubai Forums Frequenter

Feb 13, 2008
Dude.. I've a word for u..dont take it so personal.. and get upset abt ppl.. As for the "I dont think a night out with you two twats would be much fun"
comment.. DF outings are great fun and there are some lovely people.
St.Lucifer
Dubai Forums Knight

Feb 13, 2008
St.Lucifer wrote:Dude.. I've a word for u..dont take it so personal.. and get upset abt ppl.. As for the "I dont think a night out with you two twats would be much fun"
comment.. DF outings are great fun and there are some lovely people.

Aye ..aye to that..... :) :) :)
reviewer
Dubai Forums Veteran

Feb 13, 2008
Its just a little bit of fun St.L :lol:
Alex1111
Dubai Forums Frequenter

Feb 13, 2008
Alex1111 wrote:Bonk and Scarlet judging from your comments it would seem you didnt take my post for the joke it was intended but perhaps believed it?mmm

Actually last night I was woken late by the doorbell (late night returning flatmates). And then I tried to go back to sleep but heard this deep humming sound - kind of like an amplified extractor fan (not possible that one was on in the house at that time of the morning) and then the sound change to more of a thrum before gradually waning out. Anyway I freaked out jumped out of my bed, was it a missile from iran coming to target SZR - or was it a large UFO scanning the city and lights of the UAE looking for life forms - sucking up the knowledge and brains of those that were sleeping. I looked out the window to the sky to see if there was a flying object. And saw some strange lights flickering up and down 50 storeys on SZR - then realised that was the new building next to the Fairmont.

I lay down under the covers to try and hide from the impending invasion when I heard the noise again and realised it was an aeroplane.
scarlet
Dubai Forums Veteran

Feb 13, 2008
scarlet wrote:
Alex1111 wrote:Bonk and Scarlet judging from your comments it would seem you didnt take my post for the joke it was intended but perhaps believed it?mmm

Actually last night I was woken late by the doorbell (late night returning flatmates). And then I tried to go back to sleep but heard this deep humming sound - kind of like an amplified extractor fan (not possible that one was on in the house at that time of the morning) and then the sound change to more of a thrum before gradually waning out. Anyway I freaked out jumped out of my bed, was it a missile from iran coming to target SZR - or was it a large UFO scanning the city and lights of the UAE looking for life forms - sucking up the knowledge and brains of those that were sleeping. I looked out the window to the sky to see if there was a flying object. And saw some strange lights flickering up and down 50 storeys on SZR - then realised that was the new building next to the Fairmont.

I lay down under the covers to try and hide from the impending invasion when I heard the noise again and realised it was an aeroplane.

hahahaha ROFLMAO :lol:
St.Lucifer
Dubai Forums Knight

Feb 13, 2008

Well, you already answered that question in another topic ...
Alex1111 wrote:Bonk your an idiot.

Alex1111 wrote:That worries me.Do you also believe in UFOs and little green men?

Oh no! You mean to say they don't exist?

Alex1111 wrote:I dont think a night out with you two twats would be much fun.Ciao dudes

I didn't know you'd been invited, but then I am an idiot, and now a twat also, so sorry about the confusion.

The forum is lucky to have someone as perceptive and astute as you Alex, to warn other readers about idiots and twats like me. Perhaps you should reply to all my posts with a warning that bonk is an idiot.

If you want some help with spelling and grammar, let me know ... oh wait, I almost forgot, I'm the idiot right :wink: ?
bonk

Feb 14, 2008
Your not an idiot bonk,you and your friend are just lacking a sense of humour thats all.No offence. :wink:
Alex1111
Dubai Forums Frequenter

Feb 14, 2008
Alex1111 wrote:Bonk your an idiot.

Alex1111 wrote:Your not an idiot bonk

:roll: . Make up your mind.
bonk

Feb 14, 2008
Bonk - are you and I friends?
scarlet
Dubai Forums Veteran

Feb 14, 2008
I guess in conclusion, women are allowed to walk the streets safely no? :)

So yeah those rumors are false. Not sure I cna say the same about the UFO story :shock:
MC
Dubai forums Addict

Feb 15, 2008
scarlet wrote:Bonk - are you and I friends?

Apparently, according to Alex the Augur.

I'm easy to spot - hairy carcass, cheesy grin, bright pink arse :)
bonk

Feb 15, 2008
bonk wrote:
scarlet wrote:Bonk - are you and I friends?

Apparently, according to Alex the Augur.

I'm easy to spot - hairy carcass, cheesy grin, bright pink arse :)

Post a picture man :lol: :lol:
sage & onion
Dubai Shadow Wolf

posting in Dubai Guide and photosForum Rules

Return to Dubai Guide and photos