Work Permit And Setting Up A Private Practice

Topic locked
Work permit and setting up a private practice Apr 07, 2009
I am moving in Dubai in the summer where my husband has found employment. I am a counsellor and would like to set up a private practise from home.

1) I assume i need a work permit. how easy or difficult is it to obtain one? where do i apply?

2) Are there any law implications with setting up a private practice from home? In the UK all you need to do is delare your income so as to pay taxes. is it any different in Dubai? Do i need to declare somewhere that i have a private practise at home?

ememe
Dubai Expat Wannabe

Apr 07, 2009
Hi. I think you'll find your premises must be licensed as a place of work, to do it within the law. There are strict requirements for setting up companies here. Also if your company is not in a Free Zone, you will need a local sponsor who will take money for sponsoring your company each year, but who should sign an agreement to be non-participatory in your business. Their 'fees' vary depending on their status in the business world here.

When you first come here you can come either as a tourist on a 30 day renewable visa, or as a wife on your husband's residence visa, but if you want to work then you may need to change it (I admit I'm not clear on the details).

There is a very good book, 'Setting Up In Dubai' by Essam Al Tamimi (of the Al Tamimi law firm here), it's very detailed and shows the different forms of company you can use, cost ideas, legal, customs and immigration requirements etc. the book is widely available on the Internet and comes with a CD.

Al Tamimi are not the cheapest law firm here though (by far) so ask and shop around if and when you decide to set up here. You might even just go with a GOOD firm of accountants instead which may save money.

Good luck with your new life in Dubai, don't be a stranger to these forums :)
Speedhump
Dubai Forums Zealot

Apr 07, 2009
If you want to set up as a counsellor, you should also check with the Ministry of Health - they regulate anything health / medical related.
bonk
Dubai Master of Thread Hijackers

Apr 07, 2009
Thank you everyone. That was helpful. I will also go one of these days in the UAE embassy where i live to see if i can get some info and will keep you posted, in case someone else is interested in something similar.
ememe
Dubai Expat Wannabe

posting in Dubai Expat Help ForumForum Rules

Return to Dubai Expat Help Forum