Where Can I Afford To Live?

Topic locked
Where can I afford to live? May 21, 2007
I'm moving to Dubai very soon and will begin property-hunting. Am I likely to be able to find a 3-bedroom villa in Jumeira for around Dh180K? I see the occasional at this price in Gulf News but most of them seem to be over Dh200K, which is beyond my means. I'm not looking for something flash, just a nice place to live.

I've also been thinking about cutting costs a bit by looking for a villa in Satwa for around 150-160, I but hear mixed things about the area and don't know it very well apart than the main shopping streets like Dhiyafah. Would it be suitable for a family with a young child?

I know there's an accommodation forum here, but nobody ever replies to the posts on there. This forum seems to be much more lively.

jayzed
Dubai Forums Enthusiast

May 21, 2007
Should it be a villa? You can get cheaper if you just take 3BR apartments (generally).

Most villas in Satwa are old ones. Not worth for 150K for the quality and the neighbourhood.
xty
Dubai Forums Veteran

May 21, 2007
Springs is another options.
gtmash
Dubai forums GURU

May 21, 2007
I used to live in Jumeirah....

My Villa was a decent, facing the beach, 4 bedroom + guest room for 140K.

I dont know if youre specifically looking for a place in Jumeirah, but if you look around Jumeirah 2/3 somewhere close by Choitram/Union Co-Op and Pic-n-Save, you'll definetly find something worthwile ;-)

Cheers
Mashaal
Dubai Forums Member

May 22, 2007
I have just finished villa hunting. You will not find a 3br in Jumeirah for less than 200K AED. I found a couple on that price range and they were really beat up. With your price range you can try springs or arabian ranches. Adds on the news paper are not always accurate, I found myself calling lots of places only to find out that the rent was higher than that posted.
squalidae
Dubai Expat Wannabe

May 22, 2007
I wonder if Nationality matters... I think so because they always ask our nationalities when asking for vacant apt/villa. They know that Americans/Europeans have higher budget so they charge more. Any comments?
xty
Dubai Forums Veteran

May 22, 2007
I dont know where in Jumeriah you guys are looking at but Im very sure you can get a 3 bedroom villa for 150 K easily... IM VERY SURE about it... So sure, that I've rented out one too.. and then even helped one of my friends hunt down as well for the same price range...

Anyhow, I'm not very sure about the nationalities, but most of the European/Americans in Dubai are working for multi-nationals that generally give out high end accomodation perks which perhaps the Realtors have either mis-judged or taken it for granted.

Just so that you can get see the real skin, try saying that the payements are going off your own pockets...
Mashaal
Dubai Forums Member

May 22, 2007
Mashaal, you say you used to live in Jumeirah... when was this? A couple of years ago? I honestly don't believe that anyone can rent a 3-br villa there for anything close to 150K these days. But if you can find one, let me know!

I'd be interested in hearing more people's opinions about Satwa. xty, you say that the villas there aren't worth 150K... but is there any villa in Dubai that's worth the money you pay for it?! I'm quite happy with an older villa, but am more concerned about the neighbourhood, especially how good it is for kids. I have friends who've lived in Satwa and loved it, but none of them had kids.
jayzed
Dubai Forums Enthusiast

May 23, 2007
jayzed wrote:xty, you say that the villas there aren't worth 150K... but is there any villa in Dubai that's worth the money you pay for it?! I'm quite happy with an older villa, but am more concerned about the neighbourhood, especially how good it is for kids. I have friends who've lived in Satwa and loved it, but none of them had kids.

Nothing worth in Dubai.. it's so damn expensive.
Once you visit the area, you'll know what I'm talking about. Except maybe newer villas towards Dhiyafah or Wasl road.
BTW, where would your office be located?
xty
Dubai Forums Veteran

May 23, 2007
I have a friend, who's got an amzing 3 bed villa off the back of Al Wasl road for 70K. It's gorgeous, so it is possible to find decent accomodation at decent rental prices.
Chocoholic
Miss DubaiForums 2005

May 23, 2007
My office is in DIFC, so Satwa/Jum 1 would be fairly convenient.

Chocoholic, I know such things exist - I have a friend who pays 70K for a fabulous place near the beach in Umm Suqeim. But realistically, that kind of situation is extremely rare and I'm not counting on getting that lucky!
jayzed
Dubai Forums Enthusiast

posting in Dubai Expat Help ForumForum Rules

Return to Dubai Expat Help Forum