What Kind Of Suit To Buy?

Topic locked
What kind of suit to buy? Jan 31, 2008
I'll be moving to Dubai within a month and my everyday work attire is going to be business suits :( I'm breaking my head over what kind of fabric should I choose for the suit! Here's what I'm considering:

1. Worsted wool (probably super 120 or above) because the fabric breathes better
2. Polyester + viscose / rayon - easier to maintain but the fabric doesnt breathe

What kind of suits do you guys wear? Is the fabric polyester, wool or something different? Also, any particular brand that you'd recommend that would be suitable for Arabian summer?

Thanks!

thekinge
Dubai Forums Member

Jan 31, 2008
To be honest - I wouldn't worry about it. Everywhere is air conditioned and when the summer does arrive its too hot for anything outside anyway. If you wear shorts and tshirt and flip flops you will be too hot when you get outside.

I would just buy a quality well made suit. You can get them made out here and tailored very cheaply.
XPClone
Dubai forums Addict

Jan 31, 2008
Linen Suits
scarlet
Dubai Forums Veteran

Jan 31, 2008
But seriously you need to avoid all man-made fabrics here. Ban polyster, rayon etc from your wardrobe.

Cotton, Linen, silk, light wool, hemp etc all these are good.
scarlet
Dubai Forums Veteran

Jan 31, 2008
Thanks XPClone & scarlet,

I did try to find linen suits here in US, but they're hard to find in the usual stores like JCPenney, Sears etc. I will try out specialty suit stores. Worsted wool also sounds like a good idea since its natural fabric and is lightweight.

XPClone, do you know of specific places in Dubai where I can order custom tailored suits? Also how much does a decent suit cost when its tailor made? Here, a decent, off the shelf suit costs between 200-300$.
thekinge
Dubai Forums Member

Feb 01, 2008
If you wear a linen suit you will look like a miami vice Lebanese dude. Not a good look.

Linen suits are not for business. Go for a light wool mix.

If you go to the Bur Dubai area or Satwa you can get a well made tailored suit for around $200 or cheaper depending on the material.
XPClone
Dubai forums Addict

Feb 01, 2008
lmao....great thread
mrs Robinson
Dubai forums Addict

Feb 01, 2008
mrs Robinson wrote:lmao....great thread

Well, its not so pleasant wearing business suits in Dubai summer. Doesnt hurt to know which is the best fabric to wear for those few minutes that I will be exposed to the sun :!:
thekinge
Dubai Forums Member

Feb 01, 2008
XPClone wrote:If you wear a linen suit you will look like a miami vice Lebanese dude. Not a good look.

Linen suits are not for business. Go for a light wool mix.

If you go to the Bur Dubai area or Satwa you can get a well made tailored suit for around $200 or cheaper depending on the material.

I did see a linen suit, and you were right XPClone :lol: I'm buying worsted wool which is light weight, looks professional and hopefully will be easier to wear year-long. Thanks!:occasion5:
thekinge
Dubai Forums Member

Feb 01, 2008
it's just that people here wear the same type of clothes as everywhere else in the world...the shops sell the same clothes as everywhere else...
it's common sense not to wear heavy materials or syntetics when it's hot...
anyway...the thread made me laugh...It won't happen again...
mrs Robinson
Dubai forums Addict

Feb 01, 2008
mrs Robinson wrote:it's just that people here wear the same type of clothes as everywhere else in the world...the shops sell the same clothes as everywhere else...
it's common sense not to wear heavy materials or syntetics when it's hot...
anyway...the thread made me laugh...It won't happen again...

I didn't mean to be rude. Apologies if i did. I usually wear cotton when I live in pretty hot climate and all my current business suits are poly/wool combo. Just thought of checking if any particular fabric is better suited for Dubai, thats all :)
thekinge
Dubai Forums Member

Feb 01, 2008
no worries...and I am sure you'll look good enough to eat...
mrs Robinson
Dubai forums Addict

Feb 02, 2008
mrs Robinson wrote:no worries...and I am sure you'll look good enough to eat...

Haha my wife should see this :D :D
thekinge
Dubai Forums Member

posting in Dubai Expat Help ForumForum Rules

Return to Dubai Expat Help Forum