What Foreign Currency Should I Bring??????

Topic locked
What foreign currency should I bring?????? Feb 02, 2006
Hi guys,
an other pop up question of mine, should I bring US $ or CAD $ to Dubai. Coming from Canada, it would be easier and cheaper to bring CAD $ for me. But tell me, is the canadian $ welcome anywhere? Will I have a hard time changing my money in dhs? :roll:

thank's again, c-ya.

Duam
Dubai Forums Member

Feb 02, 2006
Absolutely no problems at all. When you arrive at DXB there are 2 exchange booths. I think it is the one on the right that gives a much better rate possibly National Bank, the overhead sign is dark blue anyway.

All the malls have exchange places and they all give a very good rate generally, but i suppose it depends how much you want to cash up.
arniegang
UAE, Dubai Forums Lord of the posts

currency Feb 03, 2006
What do you mean by how much I want to cash up? The rate will be better if I cash up 1000$ cad insted of 200$ cad?

With your experience, should I change most of it at arrival at the airport (for a better rate) or just use the malls when I need it during my stay?

later...
Duam
Dubai Forums Member

Feb 03, 2006
The rate is the same no matter how much you cash up, you do not get a better rate if you cash up a lot, it matters not whether is $10 or £10000.

What i meant by "how much you intend to cash up" means that if it is a lot of money, obviuosly the rate starts to matter. Personally i find the malls are best for rates, they usually pip the bank rate. If you look online its called the "forex rate". The american dollar is the only exchange that never alters because the AED is fixed to the USD.

Hope this helps
arniegang

Feb 03, 2006
it sure did, thx very much. :D

regards,
Marc
Duam
Dubai Forums Member

Feb 03, 2006
Canadian ATM Cards work here, at least mine do. Just in case you don't wish to keep large quantities of cash with you.

Also for CDN - AED Conversion the 2 placess in the airport will rape you, go to a mall and the current rate should be better than 3.15 to 1 (day before yesterday).

I always like to carry some US with me as well, in case you're in a jam, cabbies, stores will all accept it.
fayz
Dubai Forums Knight
Location: take a left at the Bebsi interchange, that is the Bebsi interchange

Feb 03, 2006
Fayz is correct about ATM's. But if you are cashing a lot then your own bank will probably fleece you on the exchange rate.

Fayz, the Bank to the right hand side is ok for exchange rate, its basically the same as in town. Its the one on the left thats the rip off rate.
arniegang

currency Feb 03, 2006
I understand that the rate for cad$ is around 3 dirhams for 1$cad these days in Dubai?

Having an account at the HSBC Bank, I guess I won't have any problems using my ATM card in Dubai.

Of course I'll bring some US $$$, just in case.

later
Duam
Dubai Forums Member

Feb 03, 2006
this is todays price

Can.$ Buy 3.16922 Sale 3.25239

you can check daily here

http://www.khaleejtimes.com/forex.asp
arniegang

Feb 03, 2006
thank's arnie, I'll keep an eye on this site.. :shock:

later
Duam
Dubai Forums Member

Feb 04, 2006
Personally better to always usem USD, the exchange rate is always 3.65 Dhs to the Dollar.

Some of the shops get a little flustered if you're using dollars, always better to use the currency of the country you're staying in. In this case Dirhams.
Chocoholic
Miss DubaiForums 2005

Feb 07, 2006
The Capitol ladies prefer USD
pacificsurf619
Dubai Forums Member

posting in Dubai Expat Help ForumForum Rules

Return to Dubai Expat Help Forum