Wearing Shorts In Dubai

Topic locked
Wearing shorts in Dubai Mar 19, 2006
Hi,

My father is now living in Dubai and I'm going next week to visit him there before I move out in the summer.

He told me not to pack shorts since people who wear them are kind of looked down on. He's Persian and I'm English, so he's not totally in favour of alot of the clothes I wear. :D
Should I bother to pack them or not? As far as I know theres no law against wearing shorts in Dubai, and I'm unable to decide whether its a culture thing there. And since its hot I want to take the best clothes for the weather ;)

Thanks

Genjix
Dubai Expat Wannabe

Mar 19, 2006
I've never really noticed a problem with shorts, but culturally as a muslim male you're suppose to cover from knees to belly button, so you may want to get longer shorts. Having said that, they are pretty common in any of the "new dubai" areas. You see women and men showing leg so not a biggie i don't think.
fayz
Dubai Forums Knight
Location: take a left at the Bebsi interchange, that is the Bebsi interchange

Mar 19, 2006
I heard in Sharjah you are not allowed to be in malls or public areas with shorts....

But not sure.

But no, in dubai, no problem.

But please... no hot shorts or tight shorts, :evil:

Cheers
yshimy

Mar 19, 2006
hi there !

legally (i mean the way it's applied here) u can wear whatver u want, u won't get into trouble (unless u wear nothing but a thong...) it's just a matter of sensitivity and respect toward others...

I think that the most schoked could be ur dad...

so up to u!
ilfab
Dubai Forums Member

Mar 20, 2006
For Dubai it's fine, but in some of the other emirates you have to dress more conservatively.
Chocoholic
Miss DubaiForums 2005

Mar 20, 2006
Oh right thanks. As I said, I think it's just my dad being picky as I usually wear them all the time. Thanks for the answers :)
Genjix
Dubai Expat Wannabe

Re: Wearing shorts in Dubai Mar 20, 2006
Genjix wrote:Hi,

My father is now living in Dubai and I'm going next week to visit him there before I move out in the summer.

He told me not to pack shorts since people who wear them are kind of looked down on.
He's Persian and I'm English
, so he's not totally in favour of alot of the clothes I wear. :D
Should I bother to pack them or not? As far as I know theres no law against wearing shorts in Dubai, and I'm unable to decide whether its a culture thing there. And since its hot I want to take the best clothes for the weather ;)

Thanks[/quote

your father is persian... in iran men cannot wear shorts in public.. thats the reason he is fussy..
ajoy
Dubai Forums Frequenter

wearing shorts in Dubai Mar 24, 2006
You can wear shorts in Sharjah too, not only in Dubai.
azalezo
UAE, Dubai Forum starter

posting in Dubai Expat Help ForumForum Rules

Return to Dubai Expat Help Forum