I Want To Learn Photography....

Topic locked
I want to learn photography.... Jan 29, 2009
do you guys know what is the best camera for photography?
canon or nikon?

Is there such groups around where i can join?

Thanks.

andrewg
Dubai Forums Member

Jan 29, 2009
I assume you're talking about SLRs. Both Canon and Nikon make great cameras. You won't go wrong picking from either of them.

One of the best photography groups to join is Flickr. Unfortunately, it's blocked for Etisalat users but if you're with Du, then join it. Otherwise, you can join any number of other online photography groups.

I don't have any idea about meatspace photography groups though.
gamercowboy
Dubai forums Addict

Jan 29, 2009
Hey. thanks man. how about groups here in dubai who meet up in one place. something like that...

does canon 450D fit for beginners?
or should I jump to 40D?

i'll just do a little research. but it would be better to meet with professional people.
andrewg
Dubai Forums Member

Jan 29, 2009
I don't know much about Canon since I'm a Nikon user myself. All I know is that my Canon buddies are perfectly happy with their cameras. With that being said, if you're just starting out, I suggest you get the cheaper option and instead spend any extra money on other accessories.

Regarding photography groups in Dubai- as I mentioned above, I don't have any idea about any real-world groups. I did get approached by a guy who was in a local photography group one time but he was an elitist snob so my opinion of them is understandably poor.
gamercowboy
Dubai forums Addict

Re: I want to learn photography.... Jan 29, 2009
andrewg wrote:do you guys know what is the best camera for photography?
canon or nikon?

Is there such groups around where i can join?

Thanks.

there is no such thing called best camera... Go to the shop and hold a nikon and canon the one feels right (ergonomic design) in your hand go ahead with it...

yes... www.gulfphotoplus.com

you can start attending level 1 and 2 photography classes at the Art & theater center in Mall of the Emirates...

and if you want to meet top National Geography photographers register in any of the workshops between March and April... very very recommended.
quatroporte
Dubai chat master

Jan 29, 2009
What accessories do you think should I buy first which are going to be useful in my learning?

Do I need another lens as a beginner?

it's just annoying to meet people who feel elite in any field. I do hope I could see and meet people who are more passionate and willing to contribute what they know.
andrewg
Dubai Forums Member

Jan 29, 2009
andrewg wrote:What accessories do you think should I buy first which are going to be useful in my learning?

Do I need another lens as a beginner?

it's just annoying to meet people who feel elite in any field. I do hope I could see and meet people who are more passionate and willing to contribute what they know.

I personally recommend Nikon D60 for a start... and if you can afford more go for either a Nikon D90 or Canon 50D

For accessories... I recommend an 18-200mm lens (or similar range), a flash unit, and a very good tripod.
quatroporte
Dubai chat master

Jan 29, 2009
hey... Thanks for the tip quatroporte.
i will hit the shops this weekend. which shop would you recommend where I can check out different brands and models??

March is just a month away. i hope to register for that workshop.
andrewg
Dubai Forums Member

Jan 29, 2009
andrewg wrote:hey... Thanks for the tip quatroporte.
i will hit the shops this weekend. which shop would you recommend where I can check out different brands and models??

March is just a month away. i hope to register for that workshop.

Grand Stores, Carrefore or sharaf

most of the major electronics store got all the models..

good luck :)
quatroporte
Dubai chat master

Jan 29, 2009
Thanks man. WIll update soon. :)
andrewg
Dubai Forums Member

Jan 29, 2009
If you're at all interested in Nikons, go to Grand Store in Dubai Festival City. Ask for Mike.

If you want to see all the different brands of cameras, go to Dubai Mall. No other mall has Canon, Nikon, Olympus, Sony, and Pentax in such close proximity to one another.

I echo quatro's recommendation to get an 18-200mm lens but you should be fine with the kit lens while you learn how to handle your camera. Some much cheaper accessories to get: filters. I recommend Salam Studio in Wafi City for their excellent range of filters. At the very least, get a UV filter to protect your lens with.
gamercowboy
Dubai forums Addict

Feb 01, 2009
andrewg bluebanana or one of the dubaidays, etc has a photo class you can sign up for. you should try one of those. i bought a canon and have enjoyed playin with it. now i'm thinking of signin up for the class rather than tinker like a 4 year old with it.
nuzbim
Dubai forums Addict

Feb 01, 2009
My father in law runs a photography class...if interested lemme know maybe I can get you 2 in touch!
tanzy80
Dubai Forums Member

Feb 03, 2009
gamercowboy wrote:If you're at all interested in Nikons, go to Grand Store in Dubai Festival City. Ask for Mike.

If you want to see all the different brands of cameras, go to Dubai Mall. No other mall has Canon, Nikon, Olympus, Sony, and Pentax in such close proximity to one another.

I echo quatro's recommendation to get an 18-200mm lens but you should be fine with the kit lens while you learn how to handle your camera. Some much cheaper accessories to get: filters. I recommend Salam Studio in Wafi City for their excellent range of filters. At the very least, get a UV filter to protect your lens with.

Hi. Does anyone actually use filters any more? I tried to buy some when I was in the US. I went to buy some general Cokin filters for my son who's taking up photography semi-pro and the salesman, actually an oldish guy, said 'if you Photoshop, don't bother, just get software like Nik3 and Kubota'.

Seems like some skills in shooting are disappearing, and I guess being replaced by new software skills?
Speedhump
Dubai Forums Zealot

Feb 03, 2009
Hey Speedhump,

That sounds like a really poor salesman. Yes, of course some effects can be achieved digitally in post-processing but some are difficult or impossible and all of them require learning another, albeit useful, set of skills.

Here are a couple of filter effects that can be moderately difficult to do in post, just off the top of my head:
-polarizing filter to remove reflections
-neutral density filter to allow for slower shutter speeds
-lens protection
gamercowboy
Dubai forums Addict

Feb 03, 2009
LOL I agree about the salesman, but I had just bought around $3000 worth of gear from him so he wasn't too bothered I guess :)

Yeah I see your point, the basic filters still have uses, it's just a lot of the fancy effects ones I guess you can ditch now.

...until I see an article in Digital Photo Pro: "How Photoshop can protect your camera lenses" :read2:
Speedhump
Dubai Forums Zealot

Feb 04, 2009
Speedhump wrote:...until I see an article in Digital Photo Pro: "How Photoshop can protect your camera lenses" :read2:

I think that's one of the new features in CS4.
gamercowboy
Dubai forums Addict

Feb 04, 2009
*chortle*
Speedhump
Dubai Forums Zealot

posting in Dubai Expat Help ForumForum Rules

Return to Dubai Expat Help Forum