Unmarried With Child

Topic locked
Unmarried with Child Jul 07, 2008
I know this discussion has been done to death but it has never really covered the issues we entail...

basically I am a senior architectural technician who would love to work on some of the buildings going up in Dubai, however back here in UK I live with my fiance and our son of 3 years old, obviously born out of wedlock.

My question is... is it impossible to move to Dubai ie paperwork etc, if possible how to go about it, is there places to live with more westerners than muslims, thus reducing risk of being "shopped". At the moment I am resigned to the fact that this couldnt possibly happen so any positive feedback will be a surprise, Id rather have asked the questions though

Cheers
Steven

steven.clements
Dubai Forum Guest

Jul 07, 2008
your child is actually the problem regarding residency. You will not be able to obtain visa's for your partner or child whilst you remain unmarried. Sorry not what you want to hear i know.

They could stay a while on visit visa's but thats it. You wont be able to book a school or pre school place and a visiting to the doctors would be a problem.
arniegang
UAE, Dubai Forums Lord of the posts

Jul 08, 2008
I am the fiancee of Steven, we have searched this topic for hours and hours and have come across varying answers. We thought about getting married sooner so that we could gain a visa and go as a family but I read somewhere that because our son is nearly 3 and our marriage certificate wouldn't be 3 years old then there would still be problems.

I am getting very confused on the law.

Would it be possible for my son and I to gain a visitor's visas, and for Steven to gain a working visa but for us to stay together as I understand this is also illegal?
Gaynor
Dubai Forum Guest

Jul 08, 2008
I am a woman divorced, my son lives with me and I am his sponsor, so I don't see where is the problem. For a father ,it's very easy to be the sponsor, not for a mother
ciloun
Dubai Expat Wannabe

Jul 08, 2008
The best thing for you to do is to ask someone at the immigration department. Your partner cannot sponsor you because you are not married, but he could sponsor your son no problem at all. Or you get a job and go on a company's sponsorship and sponsor your son. You can live together as a family, that's not really much of a problem.
Chocoholic
Miss DubaiForums 2005

Jul 08, 2008
Chocoholic wrote:The best thing for you to do is to ask someone at the immigration department. Your partner cannot sponsor you because you are not married, but he could sponsor your son no problem at all. Or you get a job and go on a company's sponsorship and sponsor your son. You can live together as a family, that's not really much of a problem.

Thankyou very much that is what we wanted to know, I think for the first year Steven will be the one who gets the visa and lives there permanently then our son and I will come and stay on a family visa then come home for a while then go back out. By which time we will of saved enough money for my big dream wedding!!! This means if we like it then we can come out more permanently once we are married!

(in theory)

Like you said it is probably best to wait to see what immigration say. Hopefully it's good news, Steven is desperate to try his hand at work in Dubai the market is dead here and he is bored!
steven.clements
Dubai Forum Guest

Jul 09, 2008
I understand there are new immigration rules. Visit visa'a will only be renewed once. If this is correct you will only be able to stay 120 days in total.
arniegang
UAE, Dubai Forums Lord of the posts

Jul 09, 2008
arniegang wrote:I understand there are new immigration rules. Visit visa'a will only be renewed once. If this is correct you will only be able to stay 120 days in total.

Looks like we will need to bring our wedding date forward if we enjoy it in Dubai!
Gaynor
Dubai Forum Guest

Jul 09, 2008
arniegang wrote:I understand there are new immigration rules. Visit visa'a will only be renewed once. If this is correct you will only be able to stay 120 days in total.

Arnie, They haven't confirmed it, but the countries that currently get free visas and are able to carry on renewing them will be able to continue doing so.
Chocoholic
Miss DubaiForums 2005

Jul 11, 2008
It doesn't matter when your son was born if you get married so don't worry about that.
BigO
Dubai Forums Member

Unmarried with child Aug 18, 2008
I am in the same position but planning on doing a legal wedding prior to moving and then having a big wedding at a later date - maybe something you may consider? One thing I'm not so sure about though is the issue with surnames. Does your son currently have the same surname as your husband. Mine doesn't at present and not sure if we need to change it.
Mushroom
Dubai Expat Wannabe

Re: Unmarried with child Aug 19, 2008
Mushroom wrote:I am in the same position but planning on doing a legal wedding prior to moving and then having a big wedding at a later date - maybe something you may consider? One thing I'm not so sure about though is the issue with surnames. Does your son currently have the same surname as your husband. Mine doesn't at present and not sure if we need to change it.

Marriage and then adoption, and get new passports.
sage & onion
Dubai Shadow Wolf

Unmarried with children Aug 19, 2008
Thanks. Although adoption won't be necessary as my husband is the father of our baby. Because we weren't married when we had him we gave him both of our surnames....
Mushroom
Dubai Expat Wannabe

Aug 21, 2008
just get married and there will be no problem with your Son

I got my working visa and there were no a problems
the only issues was we as parents had to be married.

the birth day of your child to the date you were married is NOT an issue.
pete t
Dubai Forums Enthusiast

posting in Dubai Expat Help ForumForum Rules

Return to Dubai Expat Help Forum