UAE Driving Licence.

Topic locked
UAE driving licence. Mar 11, 2007
Untill last year end expats holding valid driving licence issued by GCC countries were eligible to exchange their licence to a UAE licence. Suddenly this Jan apparently the rules have changed much to the nightmare of expats like me who hold valid GCC licence. Now an expat is required to take a minimum of 20 classes course before getting UAE licence. More painful is the abnormal waiting period to get the classes started at the driving institutes. In my opinion the driving institutes are making hay while the sun shines. Hope RTA realises this and nips the problem in its bud. The driving licence process needs to be made strict - no doubts about it but at he same time it should be logical and rationale. Life is difficult without driving in UAE and RTA can surely do something to facilitate quick issue of licence to those who deserve it.

Moreover why are the rules different for the western expats and the TCN's - why this bias. Is there any logical explanation to offer.

Can I have thoughts and suggestions from my learned friends in this discussion forum.[/b]

pdadlani
Dubai Forum Guest

Mar 11, 2007
What does TCN mean? Regarding Indian Subcontinent, I'm glad they're not accepted for transfer. Being from that region myself, I know how people just buy licenses there.
gtmash
Dubai forums GURU

Mar 11, 2007
TCN means third country national which includes the Indian sub-continent.

No country or a person is perfect - you need to make it perfect. An Indian licence holder is as good or as bad as any other national. I think you missed my point - I said why this bias. Why don't you subject the whites too to the course and test. If they are really good as lot of us think then they will get through isn't it. Why generalise - why should a good Indian driving licence holder should suffer just because he is an Indian. Not fair and just.
pdadlani
Dubai Forum Guest

Mar 11, 2007
pdadlani wrote:An Indian licence holder is as good or as bad as any other national.

B.u.l.l.s.h.i.t!

Nothing against them being Indians, but it is pretty obvious the standard of driving in India is a lot lower than it is here, and certainly lightyears behind countries such as the US, UK, SA, Canada and Aus.

If you think differently... you're only fooling yourself.

I think the testing and enforcement of stricter conditions is a good thing. Clearly there are a lot of people dying on the roads and clearly because the standard of driving is terrible.
^ian^
UAE, Dubai Forums Lord of the posts

Mar 11, 2007
Agree with Ian , i am from the subcontinent and i know how i got my license, i could drive a car at the age of 12 so that was not a issue, but i dint even have to take any lessons, nor go for the test, the license arrived at my doorstep.

Imagine if a person who doesnt know how to drive gets the license in a similar way. I guess its in best intrest of people on the streets here to make people from the subcontinent take lessons inorder to understand the rules. Also theres a issue with the left hand and right hand drive, cannot forget that.

cheers

J
Jeevan
Dubai Forums Zealot

Mar 12, 2007
Jeevan wrote: i could drive a car at the age of 12 so that was not a issue,
Also theres a issue with the left hand and right hand drive, cannot forget that.J

Hey J, but underage driving is more rampant in the West as compared to the Sub Continent....We are just too scared of the Cops.... :lol:

And as for the Left right issue..UK/Aus is Right Hand drive!!!! Let not forget that either....But they get a permit to drive here no issues!!!
devilsdiciple
Dubai Expat Helper

Mar 12, 2007
devilsdiciple wrote:
Also theres a issue with the left hand and right hand drive, cannot forget that.J

Hey J, but underage driving is more rampant in the West as compared to the Sub Continent....We are just too scared of the Cops.... :lol:

And as for the Left right issue..UK/Aus is Right Hand drive!!!! Let not forget that either....But they get a permit to drive here no issues!!!

'Flipping' is not the big deal it seems. Not knowing how to drive in the first place is.
^ian^

Mar 12, 2007
^ian^ wrote:
devilsdiciple wrote:

'Flipping' is not the big deal it seems. Not knowing how to drive in the first place is.

Ian, I believe either you are a good driver or a bad...Irrespective of your origin....So a test should be mandatory...Why should there be prejudice...Thats all I am saying...So someone coming here from a developed country shouldnt have any problem in clearing an exam as the standards as per you are already high there...Correct??...

..I dont deny that the number of fatalities in the sub-con are more...That just cus we are a hell of a lot of people there...... :lol:
devilsdiciple
Dubai Expat Helper

Mar 12, 2007
devilsdiciple wrote:Ian, I believe either you are a good driver or a bad...Irrespective of your origin....So a test should be mandatory...Why should there be prejudice...Thats all I am saying...So someone coming here from a developed country shouldnt have any problem in clearing an exam as the standards as per you are already high there...Correct??...

..I dont deny that the number of fatalities in the sub-con are more...That just cus we are a hell of a lot of people there...... :lol:

The point that needs to be understood though is that I have already been tested to a very high standard - it would seem moot to make me go through it all again, and a waste of resources really.

There is also no question of legitimacy with respect to the licence because the issuing country has measures in place to stop this as well.

I don't doubt at all for 1 second that there are people here on Indian drivers licenses that have never been properly tested in India. I would doubt highly that anyone carrying an Australian drivers license (of Aus nationality) was never tested.
^ian^

Mar 12, 2007
Hmm..Well ok...There is your view and my view...And I guess any amount of us discussing aint gonna help... So I say PEACE.... :lol:....And let the Dubai All knowing Powers decided whatever they want.... :lol: They do that in any case....LOL...
devilsdiciple
Dubai Expat Helper

Mar 12, 2007
If ^ian^ reads my original posting on this forum again it can be seen that I haven't suggested issue of licence to all and sundry. I have only suggested to have a sane, logical and rationale approach.

Ian does have a point that why subject those to the procedures who come from a country where the driving standards are high. But do you think that the driving standards in other GCC countries are poor or that licences can be "bought" there. Certainly no, so why this change of rule. That is what my point was.

But don't get surprised if the rule changes to have everyone to go for lessons/driving test. Think if you have to enrol into a driving institute here and have to wait for about 2 months to start your lessons. B.u.l.l.s.h.i.t! you will say I am sure.

Transfer of Indian sub-continent licences was not allowed in the past and nor should be allowed in the future too for the reasons discussed in the forum. But it is the moral responsibility of the RTA not to penalise good drivers. Give priority to the licence holders, test them for their skills rather than putting them on in a long and frustating wait periods.

Change in the rules or strict reinforcement of rules is welcome but there has to be a reason and logic attached to it.
pdadlani
Dubai Forum Guest

Which is more easier? Driving License from AbuDhabi or Dubai Sep 03, 2007
Dear Friends,

I'm working as an Electrical Engineer, in Abu Dhabi.
I may get transfer to Dubai after 1 year.
The company is going to apply for my Employment Visa. Since they are having branches in Dubai & Abu Dhabi , they can get either Visa from both of these emirates. Also I can tell them, which visa to take.

I have heard that , Taking Driving License in Abu Dhabi is tougher compared to that of Dubai...Is it true ?

Which is more easier to take ? Driving License from Abu Dhabi or from Dubai ?

How many tests will be there in Abu Dhabi ? How long will it take to get a call to go for driving lessons , after opening the file ?

Please share your opinions with me..
muneerkm
Dubai Forums Enthusiast

posting in Dubai Expat Help ForumForum Rules

Return to Dubai Expat Help Forum