Is The Pay Good Enough?

Topic locked
Is the pay good enough? Oct 05, 2007
Hi,

Is it possible for a couple with a 1yr. old to live comfortably (and save up some)on a dhms. 9000+accomodation+utilities paid monthly paycheck? We are not very frivolous with our money..just enjoy the weekly eating-out routines.

ladyTulloolah
Dubai Forum Visitor

Oct 05, 2007
well it depends on your nationallity - if you are indian or phillipino then you would be rich, if you are westernexpat then 9k dhs is a joke
arniegang
UAE, Dubai Forums Lord of the posts

Oct 05, 2007
But what if its a managerial position for the Jumeirah group? They have a lot of other perks too..
ladyTulloolah
Dubai Forum Visitor

Oct 06, 2007
bsides free food, third class accomodation, health care and a bus to and from work there isn't any perks.

A 9k salary in Jumeira group is equiv to a restaurant manager - its hardly considered middle/upper mangement level.

But like i said if you are Can,US, European.Aussie then the salary is no better than being on benefits, the average qualified expat should be looking to earn 30k plus benefits and wouldnt get on a plane for less.
arniegang

Oct 06, 2007
Off note:

Does the company have tremendous growth opportunities considering its expansion plans et al.?
ladyTulloolah
Dubai Forum Visitor

Oct 06, 2007
Its the biggest chain of hotels in Dubai, but thats about it apart from one in london.
arniegang

Oct 06, 2007
And the one in New York coupled with their recent catches in the Bahamas and Spain.

From all that I've researched online, it doesnt seem like the hospitality industry in Dubai has much to offer in terms of a high salary.

If somebody is employed with them..what are the working conditions like and the overall atmosphere within the company? Is it worth packing our bags from the US and moving there? I read some place that in this company people on the same salary band are paid the same irrespective of their nationality. Is there any truth to that?

Help!
ladyTulloolah
Dubai Forum Visitor

Oct 06, 2007
arniegang wrote:well it depends on your nationallity - if you are indian or phillipino then you would be rich, if you are westernexpat then 9k dhs is a joke

Hehe, can't argue with that.
gtmash
Dubai forums GURU

Oct 06, 2007
9k plus accom and benefits isnt bad if you also factor in age and experience...

Remember though, that Dubai is becoming more expensive and the whole point to working here is to save something...Otherwise why would you live in 50 degrees...just for the shwarmas and low crime?! :lol:
V-Man
Dubai Forums Frequenter

Oct 06, 2007
arniegang wrote:well it depends on your nationallity - if you are indian or phillipino then you would be rich, if you are westernexpat then 9k dhs is a joke

I disagree. It has nothing to do with nationality. Not all Westerners "that rich or have high standard of living" and not all Asians "that poor or have low standard of living". It's how you live your life and spend the money. It's all that matters.
xty
Dubai Forums Veteran

Oct 06, 2007
xty wrote:

I disagree. It has nothing to do with nationality. Not all Westerners "that rich or have high standard of living" and not all Asians "that poor or have low standard of living". It's how you live your life and spend the money. It's all that matters.

Hellllooooooo wakey wakey it has everything to do with Nationallity, whether you agree or not.

For example in UK a techers starting Salary is equiv 14k Dhs a month. An experienced Project Manager 21k Dhs minimum. You theory is flawed because an expat on the salary that can be earnt in say the UK/US/Aus are not going to come to dubai to earn shit money.

Why do you think most large UK companies have their Call Centres based in India ?? ITs because we have this thing called the "minimum wage in UK. This protects low paid workers, and no one over 21 whatever their job can earn less than equiv of 42 Dhs per hour.

However it is not this group seeking work in Dubai is it Xty??
arniegang

Oct 06, 2007
Tulloolah,

We are a couple with a 1-yr-old. There is absolutely no way that we would be able to live here on 9000 a month, even with accommodation paid for. Trust me, don't do it - you'll be living off your savings.
jayzed
Dubai Forums Enthusiast

Oct 06, 2007
jayzed wrote:Tulloolah,

We are a couple with a 1-yr-old. There is absolutely no way that we would be able to live here on 9000 a month, even with accommodation paid for. Trust me, don't do it - you'll be living off your savings.

Never say never. People are doing it. But Arnie's point stands.
gtmash
Dubai forums GURU

Oct 06, 2007
A 9k salary in Jumeira group is equiv to a restaurant manager - its hardly considered middle/upper mangement level.

The position required a Bachelors/Masters degree with extensive work experience. Therefore, I would imagine it to be a more senior position than what you mentioned.

Hellllooooooo wakey wakey it has everything to do with Nationallity, whether you agree or not.

But the company in question claims to have an unbiased approach when it comes to hiring. Part 3 of their whole mantra is to treat their colleagues with integrity and respect. I wouldnt know how much water it holds..I'm hoping somebody would elaborate on their work ethics and overall corporate culture.

Jayzed, thanks for your input. but apart from the discounted groceries and the occassional splurge, what else should we be taking into account in terms of monthly expenditure? Accomodation is covered through a live out allowance.

Thank you for sticking up for us brown folks! :)

Bear with me gentlemen! I'm so confuzzled!

Tulloolah
ladyTulloolah
Dubai Forum Visitor

Oct 07, 2007

The position required a Bachelors/Masters degree with extensive work experience. Therefore, I would imagine it to be a more senior position than what you mentioned.

I agree, 9k pm (in an organisation that it literally worth hundreds of millions if not billions of dollars), is lower/ middle management.

The Bachelors degree etc… well companies are going to try and get the most highly qualified staff for the cheapest salary. This also happens to be the minimum educational qualification acceptable by the Department of Labour for employing staff from the Indian sub-continent! You need to be careful reading between the lines in this respect.

But the company in question claims to have an unbiased approach when it comes to hiring. Part 3 of their whole mantra is to treat their colleagues with integrity and respect. I wouldnt know how much water it holds..I'm hoping somebody would elaborate on their work ethics and overall corporate culture.

Well never having worked there I can’t comment directly. I have however worked on contracts at several of the hotels; from what I have seen the staff are looked after in a pretty decent fashion (perhaps compared to the rest of corporate Dubai). They do have a lot of staff training and expect a high standard from their staff and sub-contractors. The standard of staff facilities (which are normally hidden from view of the general public) in some of the hotels were very high.

I agree 100% with the above! 150% actually!

There's another issue I'd like to broach, in your opening post, you state a couple with a child; I assume from your postings you are a woman? Is your husband also planning on being employed by the hotel?? You do know of course that you cannot sponsor him and that he will have to get a job of his own – or am I off the mark?
dbxsoul
Honored Member

Oct 07, 2007
T - what is your accom - live out allowance? It will need to be around 5000 p/m at least or you and your family will be living in squalor or cramped sharing conditions.

The majority of positions in Dubai require a bachelors - even for a receptionist position.

9000 is a good salary for jumeirah. I met a girl last week who was on 2500 + JG supplied accom/food/transport and she was in guest relations.

Very important point about your partner - they will need their own work visa.

Other costs: Child Care, petrol/car? power, tv, groceries for 3 persons, entertainment, clothes
scarlet
Dubai Forums Veteran

Oct 08, 2007
Scarlet,

Would you be as nice to give me an approximation of monthly child care fees in dubai at one of the better/high-end nurseries? None of their sites actually have charges on them...

Mucho thanks!
ladyTulloolah
Dubai Forum Visitor

Oct 08, 2007
ladyTulloolah wrote:Scarlet,
Would you be as nice to give me an approximation of monthly child care fees in dubai at one of the better/high-end nurseries? None of their sites actually have charges on them...
Mucho thanks!

I don't think there's much difference between cheaper & more expensive nurseries/KG. Average costs 500-700 pm, but if you'd like the expensive one, it may cost you 5000 pm. Your call.
xty
Dubai Forums Veteran

Oct 08, 2007
ladyTulloolah wrote:Scarlet,

Mucho thanks!

Use the search function - there are many posts on this.
scarlet
Dubai Forums Veteran

Oct 08, 2007
Tulloolah, we pay about AED7,500 per term (three terms a year, so about 22,500 a year) for five mornings a week. That's at the expensive end of the scale, but you should bank on paying at least 5,000 per term.

A couple of things to bear in mind if you're both working: nurseries here are geared to the assumption that mum stays at home while dad works. It's very difficult to find a nursery that takes kids all day - most run approximately 8.30 to 12.30, though some have optional late classes (at extra cost) until 1.30 or 2.30. It's even worse during Ramadan when nursery hours are generally 9-12.

Also most nurseries run to school term-times, so close for half-term, for about 2 weeks over in December and again in April, and for about 8 weeks in July/August (though most, but not all, run summer schools, again at additional cost).

So if you're both working full-time, then you will need some kind of additional child-care support for the afternoons/holidays. You'll also need to find a way around the problem of picking your son/daughter up from nursery in the middle of the day.

I'm confused about your accommodation - are they providing you with accommodation or are they simply giving you an allowance and you have to find your own place? If the latter, then how much are they offering?
jayzed
Dubai Forums Enthusiast

Oct 08, 2007
Its probably cheaper to hire in your own with a additional maid
arniegang

Oct 09, 2007
jayzed wrote:Tulloolah, we pay about AED7,500 per term (three terms a year, so about 22,500 a year)

Jeebus Crysht! I went to high school for less here.
gtmash
Dubai forums GURU

Oct 09, 2007
jayzed wrote:A couple of things to bear in mind if you're both working: nurseries here are geared to the assumption that mum stays at home while dad works. It's very difficult to find a nursery that takes kids all day - most run approximately 8.30 to 12.30, though some have optional late classes (at extra cost) until 1.30 or 2.30. It's even worse during Ramadan when nursery hours are generally 9-12.

Also most nurseries run to school term-times, so close for half-term, for about 2 weeks over in December and again in April, and for about 8 weeks in July/August (though most, but not all, run summer schools, again at additional cost).

At the nursery where my daughter went last year, they have afternoon classes where parents pick their kids in the evening after office hour (sometimes they drop them there at lunch time after school at other kindergarten). Although most of the time it's kids' nap time ;) (they do have mattresses).

They open also in the summer break or other normal school holidays (my daughter went there also in July & August just waiting for entering KG last September).

The quality is supposedly good (you can't tell much for 2-3 yo kids anyway), the kids are mixed (Asian, European). And it doesn't cost much, only 500 per month (not by term/year as you can come and go anytime).
xty
Dubai Forums Veteran

Oct 09, 2007
Thanks for all your help guys! I really appreciate it.

Both of us will be working eventually (my partner has yet to find employment)..so I'm guessing finding daycare that runs well after the afternoon hours would be difficult but we hope to cross that bridge when we get there. Arnie's suggestion of hiring a maid seems like a viable option. Has the concept of SOHO's picked up in the UAE?

JayZ,
They are giving us the option of availing their fully-furnished accomodations (which includes phone, internet and all that jazz) or making use of a live-out allowance of 6,000 pm (which doesnt sound attractive to me considering the dubai rents)

We have till after Eid to make a final decision and in all probability, we'll take the plunge. Since its a growing company we hope to make more progress in time. Worst case scenario: we return to 50 degrees Texas weather minus the shawarma and low crime...yee haww :D
ladyTulloolah
Dubai Forum Visitor

Oct 10, 2007
can i add two last pointers?

possibly have a look at the accomodation they are offering before you commit to it. and secondly, if you do intend to live in the "staff accomdation" you will most certainly have to sort the "partner" issue out.

by "partner" i assume you mean that you are not married, this will be strictly a no-no - especially in staff accomodation and especially in a high profile company such as jumerieh...
dbxsoul
Honored Member

Oct 10, 2007
soul,

Thanks. Both points taken. However, they say that they cannot provide images of their housing since they have several locations throughout the city and will accomodate on a first come-first serve basis. They do assure us high-quality stuff though. Should I take it with a pinch of salt?
ladyTulloolah
Dubai Forum Visitor

Oct 10, 2007
Most definitely, just using the wording "locations throughout the city" starts to make me wonder, accommodation standards are nowhere near equal "throughout the city". In the case of a hotel chain you would expect them to have adequate accommodation close to the hotel, but this is seldom the case, to save on overheads they locate staff further a field, and rely on bus transport, which is not to bad, unless you consider sitting in a staff bus for three hours a day fun.

The norm in large companies is first come fist serve, but the longer you remain with the company the better accommodation you would be entitled to - unfortunately this means moving. i know of people who have moved at least 6 times in three years to get the "spot they wanted"
dbxsoul
Honored Member

Oct 10, 2007
the nearest staff accomodation to the JBH/Emirates Towers is behind the Metropolitan on SZR
arniegang

Nov 14, 2007
arniegang wrote:
xty wrote:

Hellllooooooo wakey wakey it has everything to do with Nationallity, whether you agree or not. ...

well its sad to say but i must agree with that.. I am filipino, its kind of degrading.. but thats the truth over there...

i myself is planning to move to dubai too, applying online with all the time i have ( but still no luck and yes ive experienced being offered with some joke sum of package!!!)

but here is one fact i know; i have a friend who just move there. he is an engineer and he is getting as much as 15,000 aed on top of some other benefits..he is even younger than me, he doesnt hold a managerial position, he is just starting his career, or should i say 2 years experience but there he is! the thing is he has got the brain to do the sh*t he is doing! and i envy him..not for his brain though but for the luck he got. yeah luck and brain goes together...at least for someone like me a filipino.

"equal opportunity" hardly works in dubai... but i believe there still are some companies pursuing and dont tell me im wrong. and those companies telling they are but not living it, curse them!

nothing is impossible even in the toughest situations.

as for me, good luck to me! i might change my identity and skin color!!! ha ha ha!!! i think i have read so much already but i need to learn more! so any pieces of advices will be appreciated.
MyAd25
Dubai Forum Visitor

Nov 14, 2007
arniegang wrote:the nearest staff accomodation to the JBH/Emirates Towers is behind the Metropolitan on SZR

You will find that if you take a bee line from JBH towards Al Khail Road, that there is staff-accom-a-plenty in Al Quoz. These are actually quite nice (compared to the norm) and you most definitely would rather be there than most of the older ones. I know Jumeirah put some staff in these facilities.
^ian^

posting in Dubai Expat Help ForumForum Rules

Return to Dubai Expat Help Forum