Single American Woman --> Dubai

Topic locked
Single American Woman --> Dubai Dec 07, 2007
Hi to all who read,

I am a 23-year-old American woman, currently living in Brussels, who has the opportunity to live and work in Dubai for an 8 month assignment. I would be arriving around April 1st and staying until the end of November, 2007.

I know that I will be staying there during the extremely hot and humid summer months, but I am willing to take it in stride. I have a few specific questions that I hope those in similar situations or those who know people in my situation can help me with. There are quite a few, so if you want to email me your responses instead, I understand--message me if that's what you prefer!

-Is being young, single, and American going to propose a problem, both in assimilating as best I can to UAE culture and in finding expats who are also young and single to socialize with?

-Where do young single expats typically live in Dubai? I know Jumeirah is popular for families, but if you are not coming in a family unit, where should you start? Are there any areas that allow you to walk to the big mall/shops/movies/etc. rather than have to drive?

-What is the climate like for Jews? I am more culturally Jewish than religious, but this is a big concern for my family and I want to hopefully assure them I won't have any problems whilst I'm there.

-I understand that you need your work visa and resident visa in order to obtain your alcohol license, driver's license, etc. About how long should I leave to get the basics?

-Are there gyms there to join? Are they included in the various apartment/villa complexes? Are they standard international quality or leave something to be desired?

-It seems from reading through these forums that a car is truly essential--is there any type of walking/bus culture, or do you really get around solely via car and/or taxi?

-I heard the water is quite harsh because of the desalination process and can cause your hair to fall out--does anyone know where to get a filter to put on your shower so that this isn't as much of an issue?

Thanks in advance for all of your help--if anyone has been in Dubai for a bit and can give me some advice on the above as well as how to cope when I first get there (best places to go/who to talk to/ins and outs of assimilation) I would be so appreciative!! Hoping that I can give this move the OK and embark on an amazing adventure and experience.

MerOriginal
Dubai Forum Guest

Re: Single American Woman --> Dubai Dec 09, 2007
MerOriginal wrote:ses instead, I understand--message me if that's what you prefer!

-Is being young, single, and American going to propose a problem, both in assimilating as best I can to UAE culture and in finding expats who are also young and single to socialize with?
No problem whatsoever. However you will not get into UAE culture you will get into expat culture

-Where do young single expats typically live in Dubai? I know Jumeirah is popular for families, but if you are not coming in a family unit, where should you start? Are there any areas that allow you to walk to the big mall/shops/movies/etc. rather than have to drive?
Jumeirah, the greens, the marina, barsha, mirdif

-What is the climate like for Jews? I am more culturally Jewish than religious, but this is a big concern for my family and I want to hopefully assure them I won't have any problems whilst I'm there.
Same as for everyone about 44 degrees. there are Jews here. Religion doesn't have to be touted

-I understand that you need your work visa and resident visa in order to obtain your alcohol license, driver's license, etc. About how long should I leave to get the basics?
Can't really do it till you get here, as for alcohol buy up big in duty free, go out to bars, abstain or see the ajman/umm al quain alcohol thread

-Are there gyms there to join? Are they included in the various apartment/villa complexes? Are they standard international quality or leave something to be desired?
Many gyms, fitness first, most buildings have gyms

-It seems from reading through these forums that a car is truly essential--is there any type of walking/bus culture, or do you really get around solely via car and/or taxi?
If you are working on SZR and living on SZR then you can walk, and no you will not be happy on a bus. taxis are cheap.

-I heard the water is quite harsh because of the desalination process and can cause your hair to fall out--does anyone know where to get a filter to put on your shower so that this isn't as much of an issue?
From the supermarket - but it;s not really that bad.

Thanks in advance for all of your help--if anyone has been in Dubai for a bit and can give me some advice on the above as well as how to cope when I first get there (best places to go/who to talk to/ins and outs of assimilation) I would be so appreciative!! Hoping that I can give this move the OK and embark on an amazing adventure and experience.
scarlet
Dubai Forums Veteran

posting in Dubai Expat Help ForumForum Rules

Return to Dubai Expat Help Forum