Scots Looking For New Life In Dubai

Topic locked
scots looking for new life in dubai Jun 19, 2006
:D hi all would be intrested to hear from fellow british people who live and work in dubai at the present time. hubby and i are thinking of moving out to dubai for a new life. we are fed up of living in scotland and want some excitement. we are in our early 30's, i am a secretary and hubby is manager of local building company, how easy would it be for us to get jobs do you think??? thanks for your help

lorimer
Dubai Expat Wannabe

Jun 19, 2006
Don't triple post as it will just annoy people.
Concord
Dubai Forums Zealot

Jun 19, 2006
sorry, wasn't aware I was triple posting!!
lorimer
Dubai Expat Wannabe

Jun 19, 2006
I think he was merely trying to tell you that you posted this in 3 sections already......:)
kelly1966
Dubai Forums Talker

Jun 19, 2006
apologies for annoying anyone! wasn't sure how this website works, wasn't aware I was triple posting, thought it was a case of typing my question into each different forum. Thought this website was a nice welcoming website, obviously not if you upset the regulars!!
lorimer
Dubai Expat Wannabe

Jun 19, 2006
lorimer wrote:apologies for annoying anyone! wasn't sure how this website works, wasn't aware I was triple posting, thought it was a case of typing my question into each different forum. Thought this website was a nice welcoming website, obviously not if you upset the regulars!!

Don't worry about it, you are now in the correct place to get the information that you need.

What are your formal qualifications?
sage & onion
Dubai Shadow Wolf

Jun 19, 2006
You're not annoying anyone......

All you have to do is find the topic that is relevant to what you would like to know and post it in there. There are alot of helpful people in here.
kelly1966
Dubai Forums Talker

Jun 19, 2006
Hi Lorimer

Welcome to the forum. Try not to take any notice of the rude people on this forum. There are a lot of helpful people on here and you can get answers to your questions.

All I would suggest is that you search the forums for any threads related to your questions. If you don't do this you will get a load of abuse.

I recently made my first post on this forum the other day - I researched the topic fully and then posted my questions but I got abuse hurled at me and very rude comments.

There are some rude and unhelpful people here but there are those that are willing to help. :D
XPClone
Dubai forums Addict

Jun 19, 2006
XPClone wrote:There are some rude and unhelpful people here but there are those that are willing to help. :D

You are soooooooooooo right there. Sorry your first experience on here wasn't good........but there are alot of helpful, genuinely nice people on here as well. You'll get to know the not so nice ones :wink:
kelly1966
Dubai Forums Talker

thank you Jun 19, 2006
thank you, you have restored my faith in inhumanity! I shall try and keep to the rules in future on this website so I don't get shouted at again!

To the nice person who asked about my qualifications, I have a degree in tourism, would that be any good to me in Dubai? Couldn't get a job in Scotland, tourists don't want to come here, it rains all the time! Husband doesn't have any formal qualifications but has worked in the building trade for 18 years. Would companies in Dubai want to employ us??
lorimer
Dubai Expat Wannabe

Jun 20, 2006
Tourism and building industry are perhaps the biggest employers in Dubai at the moment. However the range of opportunitie is extremely guide (and with it a extreme disparaty in salaries from meger wages to quite substantial amounts). Most expats I know either arrived here with a job offer or came to Dubai on a visit visa and looked for a job while checking out the city at the same time.

Housing expenses are the killer (relatively expensive and hard to find). If you search this forum (search button at top right) and look at the "stickies" at the top of the forum (in this section) there is lots of info available. There are however jobs that may include housing.

Now that you specify the respective fields you are intereting in you will most likely get some other feed back from other members that may be able to best help you with the specifics. You may want to check the gulfnews.com (english newspapper and their "appointment" and "classified" sections).

And yes there are many Scots in Dubai.
Concord
Dubai Forums Zealot

Jun 20, 2006
XPClone wrote:Hi Lorimer

Welcome to the forum. Try not to take any notice of the rude people on this forum. There are a lot of helpful people on here and you can get answers to your questions.

All I would suggest is that you search the forums for any threads related to your questions. If you don't do this you will get a load of abuse.

I recently made my first post on this forum the other day - I researched the topic fully and then posted my questions but I got abuse hurled at me and very rude comments.

There are some rude and unhelpful people here but there are those that are willing to help. :D

Yes, I have to laugh at the people who seem to spend all day posting and then when a newcomer asks a perfectly valid question, they don't have the time to reply with a helpful answer.
benwj
Dubai Master of Thread Hijackers

Jun 20, 2006
Hi Ann,
The "moving to dubai helpful site" "sticky" message at the top of the previous page is very helpful wrt costs, where to live etc.

You will both need a reasonably well paid job to be comfortable here.
There is a lot of construction happening and your husband should approach some of the big construction companies for work in a management position (the labouring and most foreman jobs are poorly paid). You said that he has no formal qualifications, but don't let this stop him.
You should approach the hotel chains for work. Or you might be able to find work in a well paid secretarial positon for a legal firm etc.
I need to get back to work,
bye
benwj
Dubai Master of Thread Hijackers

Jun 20, 2006
benwj wrote:Yes, I have to laugh at the people who seem to spend all day posting and then when a newcomer asks a perfectly valid question, they don't have the time to reply with a helpful answer.

You hit the nail on the head.

There are alot of sincerely nice people on here, don't let the others impose your judgement :)
kelly1966
Dubai Forums Talker

posting in Dubai Expat Help ForumForum Rules

Return to Dubai Expat Help Forum