SALARY PACKAGE

Topic locked
SALARY PACKAGE Apr 02, 2008
We have been just been offered to relocate to Dubai and was just wondering if anyone could give me an idea if they thought this would be a enough to live on and save.

I will not be working but would like a full time live in maid (want another baby) also the areas that we are looking at to live are Umm Sequim, and Jumeirah, rent 3 brm villas. We live a comfortable life now and do not spend excessively; we have a 2yr old also.

Base salary 28,600 month
Housing allow. 11,000 month
Medical 13500 p.a
Transport 4400 month

Gratuity 19700 p.a

Total p.a 561,246

+ Relocation cost

That’s all, I have looked at so many sites and I can’t work it out. I would appreciate any rough opinion on whether this is considered a poor, good, great package. Please excuse my ignorance.

cath12345
Dubai Forum Guest

Apr 02, 2008
I don't think you'll have many problems at nearly £80k a year, rent over here is steep ish but you should be able to get a 3 bed place and still have plent to live off, kinda depends how much you want to save
DDastardly
Dubai Forums Member

Apr 02, 2008
You might want to check with Chocoholic for some useful info, and some other guys here who are into real state.
reviewer
Dubai Forums Veteran

Re: SALARY PACKAGE Apr 02, 2008
cath12345 wrote:We have been just been offered to relocate to Dubai and was just wondering if anyone could give me an idea if they thought this would be a enough to live on and save.

I will not be working but would like a full time live in maid (want another baby) also the areas that we are looking at to live are Umm Sequim, and Jumeirah, rent 3 brm villas. We live a comfortable life now and do not spend excessively; we have a 2yr old also.

Base salary 28,600 month
Housing allow. 11,000 month
Medical 13500 p.a
Transport 4400 month

Gratuity 19700 p.a

Total p.a 561,246

+ Relocation cost

That’s all, I have looked at so many sites and I can’t work it out. I would appreciate any rough opinion on whether this is considered a poor, good, great package. Please excuse my ignorance.

Your biggest expense (by far) will be accomodation check www.dubizzle.com and www.gulfnews.com (classifieds) so you get an idea (for a 3 bedroom villa in the neighborhoods you mentioned you are looking at somethig at 250K+ per year).

Double check the gratuity bit (it is based on base salary) and it is not automatic (unless the contract says that you will get it at the end of the year) and depends on the time of contract (fixed term or open ended), and duration of employement (look up the labor law).

Good luck.
Concord
Dubai Forums Zealot

Apr 02, 2008
Yawn. Why don't people use the search button?
scarlet
Dubai Forums Veteran

Apr 02, 2008
It really depends on the role.

If your husband (I assume husband) is a bell hop... then it is a fantastic package. If he is a Director, it's a ballpark package (maybe on the slight side if the company doesn't pay a bonus). If he is a GM or better, then he is getting stiffed.

What's the role?

Either way, you should be 'OK' on that package so long as you don't run out and buy Porsche's etc. when you get here.

Childcare is an expensive game.
^ian^
UAE, Dubai Forums Lord of the posts

Apr 02, 2008
if you want nice 3 bed villa + maid in Jumeria you need to think about taking another 10k a month from your salary to pay for your rent.

Why would any expat move their family for a measly 20-25k a month salary amazes me.

My daughter earns nearly that, fresh from Uni working for local government.
arniegang

Apr 02, 2008
arniegang wrote:if you want nice 3 bed villa + maid in Jumeria you need to think about taking another 10k a month from your salary to pay for your rent.

Why would any expat move their family for a measly 20-25k a month salary amazes me.

If you do the math it's about 48k a month, not 20-25. These days most companies just pay lump sum for the whole package, and not divvy it up for rent and transport etc.

48k a month is pretty decent.

Pleased to hear your daughter is doing well. Was having a Shisha with Jamal the other day and... oh... never mind :)
^ian^

Apr 03, 2008
Thank you to all who took the time to provide me with their helpful feed back :D
cath12345
Dubai Forum Guest

Apr 03, 2008
^ian^ wrote:
arniegang wrote:if you want nice 3 bed villa + maid in Jumeria you need to think about taking another 10k a month from your salary to pay for your rent.

If you do the math it's about 48k a month, not 20-25. These days most companies just pay lump sum for the whole package, and not divvy it up for rent and transport etc.

48k a month is pretty decent.

Pleased to hear your daughter is doing well. Was having a Shisha with Jamal the other day and... oh... never mind :)

Ian

48 k is an appaling salary for a family. The maths being 28k a month as quoted plus all the benefits may be payable but is not "disposable income".

She is looking for a 3 /4 bed plus maid in Jumeira and as you know this wont come less than 250k a year. That takes at least a further 10k a month from the salary of 28k a month. They have a kid plus possible further on the way plus a maid. Take these factors into account with maid salary, utilities and school/ nursery fee's they will be lucky to be left with 12k a month.

A streetsweeper can earn that in the UK. Its hardly executive lifesyle expat money.

Ian, its not that she's doing particulary well, its the starting salary for most professionally qualified goverment workers here in UK(approx £24-30 k a year plus car and pension benefits depending on qualifications and experience)
arniegang

Apr 04, 2008
Depending on his position the salary offered may, or may not be market value.

However, GBP78k a year (tax-free) by UK standards it not bad. How many people in London earn that?

Arnie, congratulations to your daughter, but I find it hard to believe the starting salary for government workers in the UK to be earning GBP24-30k, plus car. That is about the starting salary of a few Investment Bankers graduating from Oxbridge.
onetickin
Dubai Forums Frequenter

Apr 04, 2008
onetickin wrote:Depending on his position the salary offered may, or may not be market value.

However, GBP78k a year (tax-free) by UK standards it not bad. How many people in London earn that?

Arnie, congratulations to your daughter, but I find it hard to believe the starting salary for government workers in the UK to be earning GBP24-30k, plus car. That is about the starting salary of a few Investment Bankers graduating from Oxbridge.

Well a social workers staring salary is indeed £24,200.

As regards 78k in the UK yup i agree with you there mate. But that salary would probably include FREE Medical, a FREE car and probably a subsidsed pension or non contributary. We also have the NHS which means FREE Meddical.

So quoting this amount as £78k a year is totally unrepresentative when out of that one has to deduct the benefits in dubai like rent, medical and car.

I have focused on purely "disposable income". And on a package totalling some 1/2 a million dirhams per annum then immediately deducting 250k dhs in Rent, Medical, schooling/child care, car or cars, maid costs an expat is not really left with very much cash in the pocket.
arniegang

Apr 04, 2008
GBP24k!! I should have been a social care worker instead when I graduated.

Guess I'm fortunate (or not fortunate) for being single, medical included in my package, and never really worried about a pension (even though I should).
onetickin
Dubai Forums Frequenter

Apr 04, 2008
Arnie..what planet are you on? At 561,000 per annum, that works out to 151,000 CAD per year (effectively 76,000 GBP). Now I know that the UK living is expensive, but so is Canada. In Canada if you are bringing home 151K you are doing EXTREMELY well. If you get your ducks in a row and expat yourself and don't pay tax, you are in good shape. I don't know the UK tax laws, but I CAN tell you that in order to net 151k in Canada, you would need to gross 275,000 P.A. Which is a fantastic income. That is my way of looking at it anyway.

By your calculations, they would spend half their income on living expenses. SO WHAT? Most people don't have to fils to rub together at the end of the day. If you can bag 50% of your income as disposable/savings, you are doing better than most.

For a budget of 250K a year you can have a 3 bed plus study plus maid villa in the ranches. Pay your maid, your nanny, your gardener, pay your bills and gas your cars for a year. Don't scare these people off.
dubaidog
Dubai chat master

Apr 05, 2008
dubaidog wrote:Arnie..what planet are you on? At 561,000 per annum, that works out to 151,000 CAD per year (effectively 76,000 GBP). Now I know that the UK living is expensive, but so is Canada. In Canada if you are bringing home 151K you are doing EXTREMELY well. If you get your ducks in a row and expat yourself and don't pay tax, you are in good shape. I don't know the UK tax laws, but I CAN tell you that in order to net 151k in Canada, you would need to gross 275,000 P.A. Which is a fantastic income. That is my way of looking at it anyway.

By your calculations, they would spend half their income on living expenses. SO WHAT? Most people don't have to fils to rub together at the end of the day. If you can bag 50% of your income as disposable/savings, you are doing better than most.

For a budget of 250K a year you can have a 3 bed plus study plus maid villa in the ranches. Pay your maid, your nanny, your gardener, pay your bills and gas your cars for a year. Don't scare these people off.

3 bed in Ranches Saheel = +/- 230k
Agents commision 1st year = 11.5k
Housing fee to DM = 11.5k
Water and Electricity = +/- 12k
2 cars full tank per week
4 x 4 + saloon 150 x 52 = 7.8k
Government charge for maid = 4.8k
Salary for maid +/- 12k
No need for nanny with full time maid
Gardener = +/-6k

total 295.6, thats almost 20% higher than your figure
sage & onion
Dubai Shadow Wolf

Apr 05, 2008
dubaidog wrote:Arnie..what planet are you on? At 561,000 per annum, that works out to 151,000 CAD per year (effectively 76,000 GBP). Now I know that the UK living is expensive, but so is Canada. In Canada if you are bringing home 151K you are doing EXTREMELY well. If you get your ducks in a row and expat yourself and don't pay tax, you are in good shape. I don't know the UK tax laws, but I CAN tell you that in order to net 151k in Canada, you would need to gross 275,000 P.A. Which is a fantastic income. That is my way of looking at it anyway.

3 bed in Ranches Saheel = +/- 230k
Agents commision 1st year = 11.5k
Housing fee to DM = 11.5k
Water and Electricity = +/- 12k
2 cars full tank per week
4 x 4 + saloon 150 x 52 = 7.8k
Government charge for maid = 4.8k
Salary for maid +/- 12k
No need for nanny with full time maid
Gardener = +/-6k

total 295.6, thats almost 20% higher than your figure
sage & onion
Dubai Shadow Wolf

Apr 05, 2008
When I asked abt moving to UK to some of our esteemed members, most of them had the opinion..
"Mate UK isnt doing any good. Y do u think all these expats are comin here. I'd advice you not to get in to the mess." :roll:
May b the situation has changed in 4 months.. coz the UK salary rates and all the other benefits, Car , NHS, etc that are mentioned here all draw a very pretty pic of UK, certainly better than how it is in here.

Or may b people didnt (want to) give a good advice for reasons unknown.
St.Lucifer
Dubai Forums Knight

Apr 05, 2008
St.Lucifer wrote:When I asked abt moving to UK to some of our esteemed members, most of them had the opinion..
"Mate UK isnt doing any good. Y do u think all these expats are comin here. I'd advice you not to get in to the mess." :roll:
May b the situation has changed in 4 months.. coz the UK salary rates and all the other benefits, Car , NHS, etc that are mentioned here all draw a very pretty pic of UK, certainly better than how it is in here.

What about the cost of living, food / booze / petrol / rent etc. Anyway if you think you can survive why not give it a try.
sage & onion
Dubai Shadow Wolf

Apr 05, 2008
St.Lucifer wrote:When I asked abt moving to UK to some of our esteemed members, most of them had the opinion..

arniegang

Apr 06, 2008
Is this damn thing fixed yet, so I can tune Sage in?
dubaidog
Dubai chat master

Apr 06, 2008
arniegang wrote:

Arnie..were you gonna say something? :)
St.Lucifer
Dubai Forums Knight

Apr 06, 2008
dubaidog wrote:Is this damn thing fixed yet, so I can tune Sage in?

tune me in?
sage & onion
Dubai Shadow Wolf

Cost of living Dubai May 07, 2008
Hi,
Read your post with interest. I am hoping to move to Dubai in July 2008.

Wondered if you could help further. I was originally searching for Relocation Costs, which no-one seems to be able to answer. I guess I mean the cost of getting my furniture into Dubai. Also, cost of a post box, car leasing costs and home insurance. My company is only just setting up over there and they want me to come up with the cost. So I need it to be as close to the real thing as possible.

Any help is appreciated.
Cheers!
Nichola
Dubai Expat Wannabe

Re: Cost of living Dubai May 07, 2008
Nichola wrote:Also, cost of a post box, car leasing costs and home insurance.

Here's some info (not for relocation costs though)...

Dubai cost of living
bonk
Dubai Master of Thread Hijackers

Dubai Cost of Living May 08, 2008
Thank you!

:D
Nichola
Dubai Expat Wannabe

May 09, 2008
Ian

48 k is an appaling salary for a family. The maths being 28k a month as quoted plus all the benefits may be payable but is not "disposable income".

She is looking for a 3 /4 bed plus maid in Jumeira and as you know this wont come less than 250k a year. That takes at least a further 10k a month from the salary of 28k a month. They have a kid plus possible further on the way plus a maid. Take these factors into account with maid salary, utilities and school/ nursery fee's they will be lucky to be left with 12k a month.

Posts like these are really silly and annoying. ArnieGang assumes that people can easily dictate what they should earn. Get a grip on the real world mate. People cant just say I want 75K AED a month, because its a good salary! Just because you made some "shrewd investments" you think you know it all eh.

48K is a decent package. There are other people making less and saving and living a decent lifestyle. SO WHAT if he is left with 12K. He is getting a better lifestyle in Dubai that in the UK, a nice villa, a maid, decent car, decent weather, beaches etc. And after all that he will still save and he can invest. The majority of people in the UK, Europe and Canada live dreary lives, shitty weather, living pay cheque to pay cheque, counting cents and pennies. And they dont save. So his package doesnt seem like such a bad deal does it.

The average family in Canada for example makes about 60,000 $ a year before taxes, and Canada is an expensive place to live in shitty weather, high taxes, etc etc. And you dont get to save a whole lot thats for sure. If UK was such a great place to earn, Im sure we wouldnt have record numbers coming to the UAE.

Bottom line is that UAE still gives a very decent and luxurious lifestyle compared to many places in the West and you still get to save money. Good for you that you made your investments, but don't go around criticizing other people's packages.

A streetsweeper can earn that in the UK. Its hardly executive lifesyle expat money.

A streetsweeper can earn what in the UK? 12,000 a month? Even if that is the case, he is cleaning streets. He has other expenses as well, and he doesnt get the lifestyle of the original poster. What as stupid comparison!

Ian, its not that she's doing particulary well, its the starting salary for most professionally qualified goverment workers here in UK(approx £24-30 k a year plus car and pension benefits depending on qualifications and experience)

- And how does 24,500 Pounds work out ALMOST the same as the poster??? It works out to 18,000 Dhs a month, not 28K plus the benefits stated.

[/quote]
davek
Dubai Forum Guest

May 09, 2008
Well said davek.

The majority of expats here don't earn anything like that figure.

I still find it amazing a new government worker is earning that much. With the current financial problems in the square mile of London, entry or even mid level bankers are having problems.
onetickin
Dubai Forums Frequenter

May 09, 2008
onetickin wrote:Well said davek.

The majority of expats here don't earn anything like that figure.

I still find it amazing a new government worker is earning that much. With the current financial problems in the square mile of London, entry or even mid level bankers are having problems.

Well yeah, exactly. The majority of expats here (not including labor) probably make somewhere about 10K, and there are many more making less. Im talking about the majority. There are of course lots of people making much more, even 100K per month plus. But they are a minority.

I find it amazing as well, who knows. I do have many mates there and they are bitching constantly!
davek
Dubai Forum Guest

May 12, 2008
sage & onion wrote:Agents commision 1st year = 11.5k

What is this for?
Iben
Dubai Expat Wannabe

May 12, 2008
I need to make some more money... any ideas?
sa4877
Dubai Forums Talker

posting in Dubai Expat Help ForumForum Rules

Return to Dubai Expat Help Forum