Salary And Cost Of Living

Topic locked
Salary and Cost of Living Mar 13, 2005
Hello,

I am a Canadian journalist who will be moving to Dubai next month. I will be working in Bur Dubai, and the salary I have been offered is 12,000 AED. My employer has not provided any additional benefits. Is this a competitive salary by local standards?

I would like to find a one-bedroom flat in Bur Dubai or a neighbourhood that is not too far away. Where should I be looking? I am not planning on getting a car, so I don't want to be too far away from work.

I also would like to pay no more than 3,000AED per month (preferably less) for the apartment. Is this possible? Do most apartments come with basic appliances included (i.e. fridge, stove, washer and dryer)?

Could you also recommend any reasonably priced temporary accommodations for when I first arrive in Dubai?

Thanks a million! Your advice is greatly appreciated... :D

Springbreeze79
UAE, Dubai Forum starter

Mar 13, 2005
You should keep an eye out for the Mapple leaf serial killer, he targets Canadians,eh!
No benefits you say?
i don't know what prics are like in dubai, i thought there was a thread bout rental prices on the forum, dig it up friend!
Glory
Dubai forums Addict

Mar 13, 2005
for dhs.36000 per year, you gonna get jack shit matey. i have friends who are renting a 1 bed apartment for dhs.55000 per year and it comes with NO furniture. Furnished apartments are like rocking horse sh1t, nearly impossible to find.

I reckon it will set you back something like 15000 to furnish your apartment, if you are lucky and able to find a shared place, you are lucky, very lucky indeed.
yorky500
Dubai forums GURU

.. Mar 15, 2005
hey... in the last 6 months...rentals have shot through the roof. Which means that you will not get even a decent studio apt. for 3K a month. You'll be lucky if you do. a decent 1 bedoorm apartment will cost you about 42K... and NO furniture or appliances come with a rented apartment.

All the best!
sa4877
Dubai Forums Talker

posting in Dubai Expat Help ForumForum Rules

Return to Dubai Expat Help Forum