Relocation From Canada

Topic locked
Relocation from Canada Oct 25, 2006
Can you please provide me some suggestions for Companies to use to move personal things from Canada to Dubai?
I would prefer 2-3 companies to enable me to get a quote. Also, please tell me how their service is.
Also, any indication of what the cost will be (including packing and unpacking) - main items are:
1. King size bed
2. Queen size bed
3. Bunk beds for kids (set of 2)
4. Suitcases and cartons

mebound
Dubai Expat Wannabe

Oct 25, 2006
Probably cheaper to purchase new here in UAE
sage & onion
Dubai Shadow Wolf

Oct 25, 2006
Def cheaper here in the UAE....
devilsdiciple
Dubai Expat Helper

Oct 25, 2006
I'll third that, it is cheaper to buy here, a friend moved her stuff from Dubai to Calgary AB, a 40 ft container and it ran close to 10k US, that can buy a whole shwack of furniture here. I have another friend who moved from Montreal here, 20ft and car (roll on/roll off) for about US 6k.

I would guess prices would be similar, keeping in mind Canada is big and depending how close you are to a port.

for comparison sakes we bought 3 suede couches, coffee end tables, 2 bedroom sets including mattresses, 1 king, 1 queen, dressers, nightstands, 8 person dining room set with chairs, centre coffee table with 4 pull out ottomans all for about AED 10k, or about CDN 3200

good luck in whatever you decide.
fayz
Dubai Forums Knight
Location: take a left at the Bebsi interchange, that is the Bebsi interchange

Relocation Oct 26, 2006
Fayz,

Thanks for the info...I think that finally made up my mind....things do seem cheaper in Dubai...

canuck
CanuckEng
Dubai Forum Visitor

Thanks Oct 29, 2006
Thanks to all for the info (especially Fayz)
mebound
Dubai Expat Wannabe

Oct 29, 2006
no worries, good luck to the both of you.
fayz
Dubai Forums Knight

Relocation from Canada Oct 30, 2006
Fayz (or others)
Is it worth bringing he car? I have a Mazda MPV 2001 (bought new so it is 5 years old). Is it worth bringing over? If so, what is involved in licencing it in Dubai?
I am thinking of just shipping some boxes and suitcases using unaccompanied baggage (as opposed to movers) - based on responses seen here. I will buy the furniture and other things there.
BTW, how about computer? I bought a brand new one couple of months ago. Should I bring it and use a 220V converter there?
Thanks
mebound
Dubai Expat Wannabe

Re: Relocation from Canada Oct 30, 2006
mebound wrote:Fayz (or others)
Is it worth bringing he car? I have a Mazda MPV 2001 (bought new so it is 5 years old). Is it worth bringing over? If so, what is involved in licencing it in Dubai?
I am thinking of just shipping some boxes and suitcases using unaccompanied baggage (as opposed to movers) - based on responses seen here. I will buy the furniture and other things there.
BTW, how about computer? I bought a brand new one couple of months ago. Should I bring it and use a 220V converter there?
Thanks

I would think better to sell the car and add the price of shipping it to UAE, you would have almost enough for a new one I would think.

How many people are traveling? I believe you get 2 pieces x 32kg each luggage allowance per person, thats quite an amount just for clothing and the like.

Purchase a new Computer here maybe better because its not only 220v instaed of 110v its also 50htz instead of 60Htz.
sage & onion
Dubai Shadow Wolf

Oct 30, 2006
you have to pay 4% on the deamed value of a car when importing it in, plus shipping costs.

what you need to think about is, are parts readily available for your car here, will the mazda dealership be able to maintain it here, will the car in its current state be suited for +50 C.

This is a tough call, I owned a 2005 Mazda Protege 5 that was less than 1 year old when I moved here. I decided not to ship it because the dealership said they won't uphold the warranty and parts would have to be sourced in, they said up to 3 weeks for an oil filter for example. There are times I wish I had though as it was a great car and fit my needs well but at other times, i don't know, In the end I sold it back to the dealer who had a waiting buyer and only lost less than 3k on selling it from the purchase price I paid a year after moving to Dubai, I stored the car for a year, not really sure why.

I've never ever seen an MPV in Dubai so parts may be difficult.

Another point to keep in mind is the wonderful Canadian government will not let you import a non-North American car that is newer than 15 years old. i.e. if you are getting a little more disposable income while you are here and decide to get a nice ride it'll be very difficult to bring it back with you.
fayz
Dubai Forums Knight

posting in Dubai Expat Help ForumForum Rules

Return to Dubai Expat Help Forum