Quite Scary News!

Topic locked
Quite Scary News! Oct 10, 2005
Hi all,.....

I am on my way to Dubai, hopefully in a couple of months....

I have come across this quite nerve-racking and interesting piece of news.

Enjoy and reduce speed!!! :shock:

x, Buca

bucammra
Dubai Forum User

Oct 10, 2005
bucammra
Dubai Forum User

Oct 11, 2005
Why is it scary?

It's fantastic - you can see the speed cameras from a mile off, and then slow down just in time. I am sure HP knew this when the "sponsored" them - otherwise why the eye-catching orange that isn't anything like their normal logo colours?
One thing that is working to the speeding motorists' advantage though is that the cameras are far more visible than before - potential offenders are given plenty of time to brake before the camera captures their fleeting image.

Quite why Julia buries that angle at the bottom of her article, when it's the main thing people have been talking about, is anyone's guess.
secretdubai
Dubai Forums Frequenter

Oct 12, 2005
Hey Secret!

Yes, you are 100% right! :shock:

Scary just because I am on my way to being part of the "city with highest accident rate per capita".!!! :roll:

I am no that experienced behind the wheel...that worries me....don't want to be a statistic! :oops:

.....I only hope The Orange Colour helps people to slow down.... :wink:
bucammra
Dubai Forum User

Oct 12, 2005
Best thing if you are inexperienced is to keep to the second lane. Obviously you want to avoid the fourth ("fastest") lane - but do not make the mistake of hogging the third lane, especially when the second lane is clear. This is really bad driving. Cars should not be doing 100kmph in the third lane in a 120kmph zone. It forces other drivers to undertake you - really dangerous for them and you.

So drive like a Euro driver - use the lanes for overtaking, not driving/hogging. I say Euro because you actually get fined in most Euro countries and get penalty points on your licence if you don't do this.

And remember that the most important thing is to stay alive. We all get mad (stupidly) and frustrated, but it's better to be stuck behind a slowcoach than dead. Or worse - and more probably - maimed.
secretdubai
Dubai Forums Frequenter

Oct 13, 2005
Thanks for that, Secret!.... :shock:

I think I'll review my options and take a cab or a flat near work!..... you are sacring me!!! :cry:

I have lived in S America and visited SE Asia extensively... I think Argentinian drivers are fairly scary...but my top price goes to India, where I spent 3 months without witnessing 1 single car crash....which I see as a miracle after experioencing their driving!

Anyway! I am sure there are more beautiful things in Dubai to speak about!...

How about Diving? Any good coral reefs??
bucammra
Dubai Forum User

Oct 28, 2005
Its not the speed that is unsettling...coming from the US, 120kmph is common with US freeways speeds.
However, the freeway lanes are narrower here; space between moving vehicles much smaller and lane changes appear to be spontaneous.

Here's a thought: why not a Cab experience for the tourists like the desert saffari :D
my_z3
Dubai Expat Wannabe

fast driving Oct 29, 2005
bucammra wrote:Thanks for that, Secret!.... :shock:

I think I'll review my options and take a cab or a flat near work!..... you are sacring me!!! :cry:

I have lived in S America and visited SE Asia extensively... I think Argentinian drivers are fairly scary...but my top price goes to India, where I spent 3 months without witnessing 1 single car crash....which I see as a miracle after experioencing their driving!

Anyway! I am sure there are more beautiful things in Dubai to speak about!...

How about Diving? Any good coral reefs??
India. LOL!!! A friend of mine told me the secret of why there are so few accidents on indian roads, in comparison to other places of course.

The secret is that the indian drivers are quite accomodating. They drive really fast and furious but if they see someone driving faster or trying to edge into their lane they give way. They hate to get their cars scratched just to inflate their egos. So they let the other guy have his way. How much time does it cost to give way to a lunatic? a couple of seconds perhaps. Better then having to go to the garage and then waiting a couple of days for the car to get repaired. Not worth it. So they curb their egos when they are on the road. they know under similar circumstances the other guy would let them edge in too.

Funlover
Funlover
Dubai Expat Wannabe

Oct 29, 2005
Not a day goes by where I don't see an accident!! :shock:
GAB
Dubai Forums Veteran

posting in Dubai Expat Help ForumForum Rules

Return to Dubai Expat Help Forum