Private English Teachers

Topic locked
Private English teachers Aug 18, 2007
Hi,

On another thread I have enquired into nursing jobs for my wife. If it proved difficult to register as a nurse, is there a market for Private English teachers in Dubai?

Does The TEFAL / CELTA qualifications carry much weight in Dubai? What rates of pay are normal for an hours tuition?

Thanks

Andy b

Andy b
Dubai Expat Wannabe

Aug 19, 2007
I know a company that is looking for a TEFAL/CELTA approved english instructor, does that interest you?

PM me if you are interested and i will give you more details as to who to contact..
hamadl
Dubai Forums Talker

Aug 21, 2007
Places worth teaching at will usually want more than TEFL/CELTA. Try the British Council.
bonk
Dubai Master of Thread Hijackers

Aug 21, 2007
^^^wow did you actually edit that statment 782 times before posting it? talk about being careful with your words.

Edit: hahahaha, just noticed that was your sig, clever.
fayz
Dubai Forums Knight
Location: take a left at the Bebsi interchange, that is the Bebsi interchange

Aug 21, 2007
fayz wrote:^^^wow did you actually edit that statment 782 times before posting it?

Yes, a long time ago though...
Last edited by bonk on Fri Jun 25, 1924
bonk

Aug 25, 2007
Yes the CELTA is recognised, but you probably have to have a first degree as well for the bigger institutions. As well as BC, also get in touch with Higher Colleges - but don't touch the Sharjah HCT with a barge pole! Last I heard, private tutors were charging about 120 per hour. There is quite a market amongst non-native English speakers needing to get their kids language skills up to the standard to get into English medium schools.
sauron
Dubai Forums Veteran

Aug 25, 2007
Higher Colleges and similar usually want Master's degree.
bonk

Aug 27, 2007
Yes, but if they are very short staffed and it's part time work you are looking for, they will consider someone with a CELTA. They quite often employ people immediately after they've done their CELTA in-house. It's worth leaving a CV with them.
sauron
Dubai Forums Veteran

posting in Dubai Expat Help ForumForum Rules

Return to Dubai Expat Help Forum