Playing Cricket In Dubai??

Topic locked
Playing Cricket in Dubai?? Apr 16, 2006
Hi everyone!

Ok, I know from reading through some posts, that some of you find cricket pretty boring!! Actually, as much as I love it, I find it boring at times too!! lol

Anyway, it looks like I'll be moving to Dubai in a few weeks, and as we've just started the cricket season here in the UK, its the thing I'm going to miss the most.
I've searched through other posts, but just can't find anything about playing cricket in Dubai. So I need your help!!
Now I know cricket is played in Dubai, but how many clubs are there and is it easy to join a club or are they over-subscribed?? And what is that standard like??
Please help a poor (and boring) English guy to at least find something in Dubai that reminds him of home!!
Thanks in advance!!!

the_zooter
Dubai forums GURU

Apr 16, 2006
Just head to any vacant carpark on a Friday morning. There are loads of people out playing cricket.
Chocoholic
Miss DubaiForums 2005

Apr 16, 2006
I have never seen that game before our company started taking part in a cricket match among shipping companies, it is quiet an interesting sport to wacth.
there are always ppl playing it on the field where we usually go to, I am not sure what you call that area though
IMJ
Dubai Expat Helper

Apr 16, 2006
There's a huge cricket stadium in Sharjah where they hold international matches (rumour that they are going to hold an India/Pakistan Test there!) The Sharjah Cricket board is very active and there are clubs in Dubai, mostly within corporate teams.

If you are not playing at the highest level, be prepared to be playing on a sand oval! Normally marked out either with white painted rocks or car tyres half buried in the sand! Grass costs a fortune to keep up here!

You'll find a game somewhere...where you can skive off and do nothing out on the deep boundary!

8)

Knight
Dubai Knight
UAE, Dubai Forums Lord of the posts

Apr 16, 2006
yep, there's organised - through clubs, as well as informal "parking lot" games. there is even an action cricket place in al quorz.

although.... cricket and rugby season is drawing to a close here - both are played during winter..... well basically 'cos only mad dogs and englishmen go out in the midday (summer) sun :lol:
dbxsoul
Honored Member

Apr 16, 2006
Zooter

Most things in dubai will remind you of home, like everytime you go to a Mall.
arniegang

Apr 16, 2006
Thanks people!
Arniegang - what sort of things will remind me of home in the Malls??

Also, does nobody play cricket in the summer then? I know it gets a bit hot, but I just love my cricket!!! lol
the_zooter
Dubai forums GURU

Apr 16, 2006
arniegang wrote:Zooter

Most things in dubai will remind you of home, like everytime you go to a Mall.

Or see a Brit throwing up in the gutter outside thre Irish Village!!!

:shock:

They don't play in the summer here 'cos it's 50 degrees with a humidity factor of 80%+!!!!!

8)

Knight
Dubai Knight

Apr 17, 2006
Well I've not had chance to experience the hot weather in a Dubai summer yet - something to look forwards to!!
Been in the States before in mid-40's heat and 95% humidity - that was pretty hot, but you get used to it.
Guess I'll have to stick to golf in the summer - or failing that, just watching TV in my nice air conditioned room!!
the_zooter
Dubai forums GURU

Apr 17, 2006
the_zooter wrote:Well I've not had chance to experience the hot weather in a Dubai summer yet - something to look forwards to!!
Been in the States before in mid-40's heat and 95% humidity - that was pretty hot, but you get used to it.
Guess I'll have to stick to golf in the summer - or failing that, just watching TV in my nice air conditioned room!!

Get a PS2 and play on that! Indoors!!!

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Knight
Dubai Knight

Apr 17, 2006
DK - sounds like a plan!!
Thanks again all
the_zooter
Dubai forums GURU

Apr 24, 2006
hi,

Try this link am not sure howmuch its going to help you but can give it a shot

http://www.uaecricket.com/homepage.asp

also i think there a darjeeling cricket club somewhere in Dubai and insportz has some sorta facility.

i will try and hunt down something more and let you know

Cheers,

Jerry
Jeevan
Dubai Forums Zealot

Apr 24, 2006
Thanks Jerry
That would be most appreciated!! Anything you can find out would be useful. I've checked out that website before, and found that they hadn't seemed to update it for about 3 years!! So any more recent information and I'd be grateful.

Thanks again!
the_zooter
Dubai forums GURU

posting in Dubai Expat Help ForumForum Rules

Return to Dubai Expat Help Forum