Moving Soon, Personal Trainer Jobs?

Topic locked
moving soon, personal trainer jobs? Jul 14, 2008
Moving to dubai at the end of the year and I am struggling to find much information on jobs in the fitness industry in Dubai. As I understand it there are gyms in the hotels, plus a few fitness firsts and other gyms yet I can't find much on employment for these places. Is there much in the way of sports and leisure (other than indoor skiing) in Dubai? Where can I find more information on working as a personal trainer in Dubai?

gymleigh
Dubai Forum Guest

Jul 15, 2008
Most of the hotels as well as a number of apartment buildings offer gym facilities. These are pretty low key and normally training is undertaken without instruction. i wouldn't bother wasting your time on these.

If anything try the large hotel groups (Rotana, Jumerieh, Hilton etc.) these normally have better equipped facilities (spas, gyms etc) and cater to a paying client - hence they can afford to pay trained staff.
dbxsoul
Honored Member

Jul 16, 2008
Thanks very much. I am aware of the fitness firsts and the larger hotels offering pretty good gyms, however I am after more information about how they employ personal trainers. In Australia personal trainers are often not employees of the gym, rather the sub lease the space and run their own business. Is this the same in Dubai? Or are there plenty of gyms that employee trainers?
gymleigh
Dubai Forum Guest

Jul 16, 2008
Hi there, it's slightly complicated here because of the way that the labour/ employment and sponsorship laws are structured. Basically you cannot be employed in the country "freelance"; you have to have a local sponsor. "Local sponsor" meaning either a UAE national in his personal capacity or by virtue of the company that he owns and enjoys majority shareholding in.

I’m not saying that there aren't personal trainers; just that the road is rocky and if you end up picking the wrong sponsor you could have more problems that you would like.

Trying to operate illegally i.e. without the necessary permits and municipal permissions especially in this type of field can open you up to serious consequences even jail time if a client was injured or even claimed injury.
dbxsoul
Honored Member

Jul 17, 2008
Thanks thats the kinda of stuff I didn't know! Is there a good community focus on health in dubai? Coming from Melbourne (Aust.) where people love their exercise and sport I would love to know how they compare. Also is there any website or forum that is specifically about exercise/sports in dubai? Thanks!!!!!!
gymleigh
Dubai Forum Guest

posting in Dubai Expat Help ForumForum Rules

Return to Dubai Expat Help Forum