Moving To Dubai In January...

Topic locked
Moving to Dubai in January... Dec 08, 2003
Hiya,

Just wondered if someone could give me some advice.....

I've been offered a job in Dubai, starting in January and the package they are offering is Dhs12,000 per month, private medical care, a serviced studio apartment which I would be paying Dhs2,000 a month for, plus my flight out there. Does this sound like a good deal?

I've also read that some people join beach clubs - is this a good idea or a waste of money? If so, how much do they cost for a single person?

Also, when going out to clubs, is it not acceptable to wear short skirts - what length is considered acceptable?

Thanks

JD

UKchick

Dec 08, 2003
Hiya,
Dhs 12,000 per month isn't bad at all for Dubai.
But it depends on your standards of course.
What are you supposed to do for this salary?

Apartment - 2000 per month? Hm... I used to live in Golden Sands 6, and I was paying 2400 for a shitty unfurnished studio... so I don't know about the quality of your appartment. A good idea will be to ask more details.
How old is the building? Does it have central AC?
There are a lot of poor apartments out here, so you have to be careful.

Beach clubs, eh? Like "Jumeirah Beach Club"?
Don't really know anything about them.
Once had a nice party there but that's the only experience I had with beach clubs. :) I would like to know more myself.

Short skirts... hm..
Theoretically it's not acceptable, but I saw chicks wearing short skirts in night clubs... and on beach parties... so it's ok.
I don't think you will get arrested only for this. :)

You can get arrested for a public kiss though... ;)
Andyba
Dubai Forum Admin

Dec 09, 2003
yeah its a good deal for starting out

and about the aprtment well u can take it till uve settled down an once u familliar with the place then u can looking for something better as Andyba suggested u might even find a better and cheaper place

and about the skirt well what i would suggest is first u wear a bikin go to the dubai beaches an get ur legs all tanned up then wear the skirt cause i hear in UK u guy aint hardly ever got any sunshine so u might wanna do what i told u to do otherwise they might arrest u for illuminating the night club :lol: just joking though baby dont take it seriously

and well u didnt say if ur company is also gonna offering u a pick up from the airport once u arrive

well dont worry if u they dont cause im there for you honey

aight so let me know if u need that service

later babe
Jamal
Mr. DubaiForums 2006

Dec 12, 2003
[size=14]
Hi UKChick,
AED 12,000 is not too great but it ain't bad either to start with. I live in a studio apartment in Bur Dubai and it costs AED 2,500 per month.
It actually depends on whether you are a big spender or not. Thats no shortage of opportunities here for spending money, you could blow up that 12,000 in a single day if you wanted, LoL.
Hmmm, short skirts. Have seen some around, but again, depends on where you wear them to. The occasion and the venue should be appropriate.
Welcome to Dubai, in case you decide to come
Jay

Jeff
Dubai Forum Visitor

Dec 12, 2003
What's with [size=14]? :)
Isn't it too small?
Andyba
Dubai Forum Admin

Dec 13, 2003

LoL. In the UK, size 14 ain't that small. You can check it out with UKChick bout that.
Seriously though, this font color and font size thing is a bit tricky. You click it and the HTML coding, both start and end tags, get added right at the end.
Jay
Jeff
Dubai Forum Visitor

Dec 14, 2003
yeah but jeff size 14 is small why u think UKchick is running away from the UK

cause in the middle east all we be talking about is

[ size=44 ]

u feel me

hahaa
Jamal
Mr. DubaiForums 2006

Moving to Dubai Dec 29, 2003
Hi JD,

A few interesting points you raise, the answers to which depend very much on your age and experience abroad...

12000/- is not a huge salary for a UK expat package but is enough to be able to enjoy a decent lifestyle on, depending on what your goals are. For example, how long do you expect to be here, why are you coming, etc etc. It would equate to the salaries paid to teachers at the better schools.

Be careful about accommodation, you may get tied into a one year lease which could end up being a miserable experience. Better if you arrange a month by month agreement (which a serviced studio may well be) and look once you are out here... if you are happy to share, you would be able to get a room in a decent villa for that sort of money.

Private medical insurance is important. As a UK expat, I would expect you to receive a rent allowance (you may find that they argue this is included in your package), a car (depending on your job), annual flights back to the UK (make sure that the initial contract includes a return flight incase things don't work out here) and an agreed approach to holidays and how they may be taken (some companies insist on you taking all your holiday in one chunk). Make sure too that you know what your working hours are before you get here!!

You should also be entitled to some form of end of service payment, which is in lieu of a pension. You will need to make provision each month for personal contributions towards your savings.

Beach clubs can be expensive and initially you would not need to join one - there are all sorts of options and most properties would have a pool associated with them. Get here, find your feet, relax and then start to make these sorts of decisions! 8)

Don't worry about the dress codes either - if you wear short skirts in the shopping malls you'll attract some maybe undesired attention :shock: but it's a very relaxed clubbing society and you should have no problems in that respect.

If you do come, good luck, if you want more help, just let me know...
professionalchoice
Dubai Forum Guest

dayyyyyyyymn Dec 30, 2003
hey professional LOSER just wasted my time reading ur posts punk all i want to say offer them social services JUST to get some attention here aiiite so keep it on the LOW cause u & i KNOW that this trick dont FLOW
hahahahahahah man u get attention but u plan & lame wanabe pro
peace
ish
ISH
Dubai chat master

Thanks guys Dec 30, 2003
Thanks for all your advice!

I'll be flying out there on the 12th Jan..... working as a fashion stylist for a magazine over there. Can't wait to get over there now and see what it's really like. :?

JD
x
UKChick

Jan 02, 2004
haha im feel wat u sayin ISH the nigga damnn fake matter a fact he remindin me of gracious must be that fool man you is paki when u gonna get that through u pan chewin head fuckin wanker

anyway let the fool get some needed attention othewise he might get all psychothreapiatic an shit know wat i mean

an yo UKchick wlcmin up in u in advance to the city of gold hope u enjoy it
an my offer to pick u up from the airport still stands if u down with just holla at J
aiggggggggggggggggggght
Jamal
Mr. DubaiForums 2006

posting in Dubai Expat Help ForumForum Rules

Return to Dubai Expat Help Forum