Middle Management

Topic locked
Middle Management Jun 06, 2006
Hi
What sort of salary would be acceptable for middle management for a large hospitality firm in Dubai

The job is communications manager - reporting to Communciation director and managing four staff.

The package includes fully furnished accommodation + full utilities + medical + return flgihts home + food allowance. But I am unsure of what I should accpet per month on top of that in Dirhams. I want to be able to save as well.

Thanks

Kiwileigh
Dubai Forum User

Jun 06, 2006
Are you going to be an impat or an expat?
XRW-147
Dubai Forums Zealot

Jun 07, 2006
expat
Kiwileigh
Dubai Forum User

Jun 07, 2006
Assuming you are single and with no transport allowance provided I would take a stabe at around the AED13k and above for it to be a competitive package with what you could get back home.

Not coming to work for a lewinsky hotel by any chance?
XRW-147
Dubai Forums Zealot

Jun 08, 2006
lewinsky hotel?
Kiwileigh
Dubai Forum User

Jun 08, 2006
i think he meant kempinski ?
MaaaD
Dubai Forums Zealot

Jun 08, 2006
A lewinsky hotel brings some very interesting thoughts to mind!!
ajb
Dubai chat master

Jun 08, 2006
Having read many of X's posts I think he means "Lewinsky" but for a reason...
Concord
Dubai Forums Zealot

Jun 08, 2006
MaaaD wrote:i think he meant kempinski ?

Yeap.
XRW-147
Dubai Forums Zealot

Jun 08, 2006
Concord wrote:Having read many of X's posts I think he means "Lewinsky" but for a reason...

*taps nose* u know me too well Con.
XRW-147
Dubai Forums Zealot

Jun 08, 2006
I like cigars...
Liban
Dubai Forums Zealot

Jun 09, 2006
its actually Jumeirah... anyone know anything about them. as in what they are like to work for?
Kiwileigh
Dubai Forum User

Jun 09, 2006
A friend of mine works for them and she seems to really enjoy it .... let me know if theres any specific questions I could ask her for you?
ajb
Dubai chat master

Jun 09, 2006
run "jumeirah international" and "hotels" through google or http://www.jumeirah.com/ for thier website.

it's a large group of hotels (which includes the bur jal arab)- good local reputation, high standards - and a fairly regimented corporate culture.

i think sheikh mohammed is one of the main shareholders.
dbxsoul
Honored Member

Jun 09, 2006
i think he owns the whole thing
MaaaD
Dubai Forums Zealot

Jun 12, 2006
yes he does. I've done the online research and checked out their site so yes I was more interested in knowing what sort of reputation they have for employees.

I am coming to Dubai this coming weekend for my interview. Hopefully it goes well. although I have no idea what to wear to an inteview in the UAE. Obviously no short skirts :-)
Kiwileigh
Dubai Forum User

Jun 12, 2006
Kiwileigh wrote:I am coming to Dubai this coming weekend for my interview. Hopefully it goes well. although I have no idea what to wear to an inteview in the UAE. Obviously no short skirts :-)

No, but a below knee skirt would probably be fine. If you want to be safe and conservative, go ankle length. Wear normal interview clothes.

It's not Saudi here.

It's not NZ either so walk shorts with socks and roman sandals in the office will look odd. Especially on females.
sharewadi
Dubai Expat Helper

Jun 12, 2006
sharewadi wrote:
It's not NZ either so walk shorts with socks and roman sandals in the office will look odd. Especially on females.

ouch thats a bit harsh ...we only wear those kind of things clubbing!! not to work!! :lol: :lol: anyone would think we were a 3rd world country here in NZ ... hey we have electricity!!! most of the time anyway :lol: :lol:
ajb
Dubai chat master

Jun 12, 2006
ajb wrote:ouch thats a bit harsh ...we only wear those kind of things clubbing!!

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
sharewadi
Dubai Expat Helper

Jun 13, 2006
and i was going to wear my bright pink socks with my sandles but to top off the look!
I was going to wear trousers .. i assume thats appropriate for a female
Kiwileigh
Dubai Forum User

Jun 13, 2006
Kiwileigh wrote:and i was going to wear my bright pink socks with my sandles but to top off the look!

:mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Kiwileigh wrote:I was going to wear trousers .. i assume thats appropriate for a female

Appropriate yes. But a skirt wouldn't be inappropriate if you're worried about that (and if you're concerned about cultural sensitivity, a long skirt is probably more appropriate than trousers but really, don't get too hung up on that unless you're applying for a government job). Depends what sort of job and impression you want to give. And who's interviewing you.

Trousers will probably come across as very business-like. In a skirt you might be able to up the charm factor a bit. I don't mean to paint a picture of dirty old men drooling over their interview notes but if you're female you may as well use it to your advantage. French, Syrian, Jordanian women especially seem to have it sussed. Lebanese too sometimes.

Bring a choice of outfits, wander around Media City, Internet City and a shopping center when you get here and you'll see what I mean.

From other topic ...

You could consider buying something here. Lots of clothes shops around - Mall of the Emirates and Ibn Battuta Mall have a good range. Bur Jaman Center and Wafi Center for more expensive/exclusive shops.

You'll be steaming if you wear normal NZ winter clothes, even in the AC.
sharewadi
Dubai Expat Helper

Jun 13, 2006
ajb wrote: anyone would think we were a 3rd world country here in NZ ... hey we have electricity!!! most of the time anyway :lol: :lol:

Hah hah! I just read about the blackout in Auckland yesterday. Was your post a coincidence then :)?
sharewadi
Dubai Expat Helper

Jun 13, 2006
sharewadi wrote:
ajb wrote: anyone would think we were a 3rd world country here in NZ ... hey we have electricity!!! most of the time anyway :lol: :lol:

Hah hah! I just read about the blackout in Auckland yesterday. Was your post a coincidence then :)?

haha no definitely not a coincidence! Luckily the power cut came after I had made my morning coffee .... the next 6 hours of trying to work without a computer were a little difficult tho! On a good note my desk is about as tidy as Ive ever seen it :D
ajb
Dubai chat master

Jun 14, 2006
I wish I had enough time to shop. I get in at 6am in the morning and my day of interviews start at 9am so I am going to have to find something here...... I'm sure it will all work out in the end
Kiwileigh
Dubai Forum User

Jun 14, 2006
Kiwileigh wrote:I get in at 6am in the morning and my day of interviews start at 9am

Uh oh :shock: ! I hope you're going business class at least. If you've done a 25 hr flight before in economy class, you'll know why I say that. I know it's probably too late but I'd really suggest you try and get the flight the day before so you don't arrive at your interview looking like you've just flown halfway around the world :shock: ?

Good luck anyway :).
sharewadi
Dubai Expat Helper

Jun 14, 2006
^^^ what Shar said... I've done a long haul from Sg>Dubai>Amsterdam>Houston (basically 2 days of nothing but airports and airplanes), got in at 9am, had a 45 minute drive out to the Woodlands area and was in a meeting at 12pm. Needless to say its not a walk in the park.
XRW-147
Dubai Forums Zealot

Jun 15, 2006
i know its certainly going to be a big trip. Unfortunately i dont think I can get my flights changed now ... will have to get some sleeping tablets so I can sleep on the way there.... then i have a whole day of interviews and tours!
Kiwileigh
Dubai Forum User

Jun 15, 2006
Kiwileigh,

I'm no interview expert but I would think that you should consider both the interview/interviewers and the job itself. By that I mean, that if you will be working in the "convention/meeting" group then a "business suit" would be the appropriate attire, if you will be working in the "restaurant" group (office or at the restaurant) then it would require another type of attire (perhaps); if the job if for the bar/pool, etc, (then a business suit regardless of the level of management may not be as appropriate). To me a "business suit" is always appropriate (unless and only if the "suit" will not suit with whom you will be working on a daily basis - may seem to serious or "above" those you will be supervising). Needless to say a "business suit" may mean different things to different people. I mean jacket and tie for men and blouse/skirt (dress) for women. Another thing to consider is that if your "tours" include outdoors you have to remember that the temperature will be around 40 degrees.

Good luck.
Concord
Dubai Forums Zealot

Jun 15, 2006
Kiwileigh wrote: then i have a whole day of interviews and tours!

I don't know how sleeping pills affect things but jetlag/timezone changes will mean you could expect to fall asleep between 1500 and 1800 Dubai time. Even with adrenalin, excitement, strong coffee.

If you're scheduled for an evening meal with the interviewers, you'll find it very hard work to stay awake.

There's caffeine tablets you can get (NoDoz or something) which you could consider but I've not seen them here - which is curious and might indicate they're banned. You'd need to confirm that from a more reputable source than a forum post.
sharewadi
Dubai Expat Helper

Jun 15, 2006
good call on the nodoz ... i'll ask. i dont really have a choice this is what they booked for me so I am sure they will understand the jetlag
Kiwileigh
Dubai Forum User

posting in Dubai Expat Help ForumForum Rules

Return to Dubai Expat Help Forum