Medical Cover - UK Expats

Topic locked
Medical cover - UK expats Oct 18, 2006
Hi Guys

This is aimed at UK expats - I need to get my health cover sorted before I leave for Dubai next week. I have to pick up my residency visa when I arrive.

My question is - where should I sort out the medical cover. Should I do this in the UK before I go (10 days) or should I do it in Dubai?

I assume I would have to take a medical for this but I'm concerned I don't have enough time in the UK.

What should I do?

XPClone
Dubai forums Addict

Re: Medical cover - UK expats Oct 18, 2006
XPClone wrote:Hi Guys

This is aimed at UK expats - I need to get my health cover sorted before I leave for Dubai next week. I have to pick up my residency visa when I arrive.

My question is - where should I sort out the medical cover. Should I do this in the UK before I go (10 days) or should I do it in Dubai?

I assume I would have to take a medical for this but I'm concerned I don't have enough time in the UK.

What should I do?

I believe it is the responsibility of your sponsor to organise your health insurance.
^ian^
UAE, Dubai Forums Lord of the posts

^ian^ wrote:

What should I do?

I believe it is the responsibility of your sponsor to organise your health insurance.

The Employer / Sponsors responsibility stops at the provision of a local (UAE Health Dept) Medical Card, if you want better than that and it is probably advisable, you can try BUPA from UK.
sage & onion
Dubai Shadow Wolf

sage & onion wrote:
^ian^ wrote:

What should I do?

The Employer / Sponsors responsibility stops at the provision of a local (UAE Health Dept) Medical Card, if you want better than that and it is probably advisable, you can try BUPA from UK.

Ah OK. I get super duper medical cover with mine, plus 5000 dental a year. Didn't think other employers would be stingy.
^ian^

Oct 18, 2006
I have medical cover included in my package (this is just a value in DHS per year) - but I need to sort out the what cover I take out.

Should I sort this out from the Uk or do it in Dubai?
How long does it take - I assume I have to have a medical? When does this need to be done.

I leave for Dubai in 10 days time.
XPClone
Dubai forums Addict

Oct 18, 2006
XPClone wrote:I have medical cover included in my package (this is just a value in DHS per year) - but I need to sort out the what cover I take out.

Should I sort this out from the Uk or do it in Dubai?
How long does it take - I assume I have to have a medical? When does this need to be done.

I leave for Dubai in 10 days time.

If you have an amount in your package which you need to sort out then better to do it from UK, again, recomended would be BUPA.
sage & onion
Dubai Shadow Wolf

Oct 18, 2006
Ian and SGO are correct. An employer by reason of sponsoring residency also has to pay for the medical card.

However Ian is also correct in saying that the vast majority of employers also include medical cover as part of the contract.
arniegang

Aug 04, 2008
You took nearly 2 years to respond with your answer? :roll:
XPClone
Dubai forums Addict

posting in Dubai Expat Help ForumForum Rules

Return to Dubai Expat Help Forum