Marriage In Dubai

Marriage in Dubai Jul 31, 2007
Only the UAE government can give authoritative answers to all questions concerning marriage.
The following is an unofficial explanation of how to be married in Dubai:

Information from www.usconsulate.gov :
Islamic Marriage

Islamic Marriages are performed at the Marriage Sections of the Dubai Courts (Tel: 04-334-7777 or http://www.dubaicourts.gov.ae ). No prior appointment is necessary. Please note that the Islamic court will NOT marry Christians, so the procedure below does NOT apply to non-Muslims.

STEP 1: Both the bride and groom must hold valid UAE residence visas issued by the Emirate of Dubai.

STEP 2: The bridegroom, bride, guardian of the bride (i.e. father, or the legal guardian upon father’s death, or his attorney), and two male Muslim witnesses must be present on the day of the marriage. The following documents must also be presented:

* If the bride’s father is deceased, a Certificate of Death or Sharia’a Declaration of his death by the bride.
* The couple’s original passports and copies, (nationality document of UAE bridegroom if the bride is a UAE national), and identification documents of the guardian and witnesses.
* If the bride is divorced or widowed, proof must be presented. If the divorce was made upon court judgment, evidence must be presented to ensure that this judgment is not under appeal in a court of appeal or a court of cessation.
* If the bride is Muslim and her guardian is non-Muslim, a no objection letter from the bride’s Embassy or Consulate is required, in which her marital status and the name of the person she intends to marry must be mentioned. The no objection letter must be attested by UAE Ministry of Foreign Affairs, and must be legally translated into Arabic and attested by the UAE Ministry of Justice. As the US Consulate cannot provide such a letter, American citizens who want to marry should write their own statement, which the US Consulate will notarize for a fee of 111 UAE Dhms. Notary services are performed between 11:30 am and 2:00
* All documents issued outside the UAE (i.e. birth/death certificates, divorce decrees, etc) must be translated into Arabic and attested by the UAE Ministry of Justice and the UAE Ministry of Foreign Affairs.

STEP 3: After the wedding ceremony is complete, you will receive a UAE marriage license upon payment of a 50 UAE Dhms processing fee.

STEP 4: Take your documents to the Ministry of Justice (04-282-5999) near the Garhoud Bridge to authenticate the signature and the Notary Public seal. Then take the documents to the Ministry of Foreign Affairs to authenticate the seal of the Ministry of Justice.

STEP 5: Finally, bring all your documents to the US Consulate General for authentication of the seal of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs. Your marriage certificate will then be legal for use in the US.

Christian Marriage

STEP 1: Choose a minister (below is a list of several local ministers). Certain documents may be required (divorce decrees, birth certificates, etc.). Some ministers will only marry members of their denominations and none of the ministers will perform the marriage if one party is a Muslim.

Father Daniel Cherofolini (Catholic): Tel: 04-337-0087 or 04-335-8504, 8 A.M. – 12 P.M., 4 P.M. – 7:30 P.M., not available on Tuesdays

Reverend Canon Stephen Wright, Christ Church (Anglican): Tel:04-884-5436
Pastor Leonardo A, Castro Jr. (Interdenominational): Tel: 04-297-6645 or 050-455-9372
Pastor Daniel Spletts, United Christian Church of Dubai (Interdenominational): Tel: 04-344-2509
Emirates Baptist Church International (Southern Baptist): Tel: 04-349-1596, E-mail:ebci@emirates.net.ae.

STEP 2: After the marriage ceremony, the minister will give you a marriage certificate in English, which must be translated into Arabic by a court-approved legal translator. Translation fees range between 40 to 50 UAE Dhms per page. Below is a list of several court-approved translators (a complete list can be obtained from the Dubai Ministry of Justice, Tel: 04-282-5999):

Al-Diwan (Legal Translation Division), Modern Pharmacy Building (near Nassar Square), 2nd floor, Office #209, Al-Maktoum Street, Deira, Tel: 04-223-2189 E-mail:aldiwan@emirates.net.ae
Eman Translation Services, Modern Pharmacy Building, 1st Floor, Office #104, Nasser Square, Al Maktoum Street, Tel: 04-224-7066 E-Mail: ets@emirates.net.ae
Arabian Translation Center, P.O. Box 6549, Sharjah, UAE, Tel: 06-561-5552 E-Mail:raadtrns@emirates.net.ae

Diamond Legal Translation, Rigga Road, Golden Fork Restaurant Building, Block C, Mezzanine Floor, Office #07, Dubai, UAE, Tel: 04-227-3133, E-mail:dlt@emirates.net.ae

Dana Translation, P.O. Box 7992, Dubai, UAE, Tel: 04-393-5702, E-mail:danatran@emirates.net.ae

STEP 3: Submit the original English marriage certificate and the Arabic translation (keep copies of both) to the Notary Public office at the Dubai courts. They will certify the documents for a fee of 80 UAE Dhms.

STEP 4: Take your documents to the Ministry of Justice (04-282-5999) near the Garhoud Bridge to authenticate the signature and the Notary Public seal. Then take the documents to the Ministry of Foreign Affairs to authenticate the seal of the Ministry of Justice.

STEP 5: Finally, bring all your documents to the US Consulate General for authentication of the seal of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs. Your marriage certificate will then be legal for use in the US.

here is some more information:
http://www.dubaifaqs.com/marriage-in-dubai.htm

Follow this link for a lot of good information

sage & onion
Dubai Shadow Wolf

very useful Jul 31, 2007
This is a very useful link. Thank you
beagle
Dubai Forum User

Re: very useful Aug 01, 2007
beagle wrote:This is a very useful link. Thank you

Your welcome
sage & onion
Dubai Shadow Wolf

Aug 01, 2007
I agree, very good link but would it make more sense to change the link just to the FAQ's home page? A lot of useful information on a lot of topics, my two fils.
fayz
Dubai Forums Knight
Location: take a left at the Bebsi interchange, that is the Bebsi interchange

Aug 01, 2007
damn this site is useful ;)

thanks dude
Bleakus
Dubai Forums Zealot

hit Aug 13, 2007
that hits the spot
ir_contact
Dubai Forum Guest

Sep 11, 2007
Good info,
hcaleman
Dubai Forums Member

Oct 28, 2007
Thanks... very helpful link. :wink:
royski
Dubai Forums Member

Nov 30, 2007
How to get pregnant in Dubai
The usual methods work equally as well in Dubai as in any other countries. Once you are pregnant, whether or not you are married makes a big difference in terms of treatment by the authorities.

Rock Bottom and Jimmy Dix are two night spots in Dubai where you may find an eager selection of sperm donors but this method is not highly recommended.

:shock: :shock: :shock:
BabyDoll
Dubai chat master

Sep 17, 2008
Very useful thanks :)
Gaynor
Dubai Forum Guest

Nov 25, 2008
Thanks
dubaihotels
Dubai Forums Member

Nov 25, 2008
Good Share
dubaihotels
Dubai Forums Member

Jan 06, 2009
thanks 4 share
ashkar
UAE, Dubai Forum starter

Feb 25, 2009
what about inter-religious marriages? :-p
winn
UAE, Dubai Forum starter

Mar 06, 2009
is that true that you have to get a blood test done from a government hospital before the marriage?

if so, what if the woman is pregnant already and it comes out that she is (a blood test will show this easily)

then the woman can be held responsible for adultery right? is that common procedere?

i mean there are many marriages, because the woman is pregnant and there is no other way but to get married to each other.

can anybody answer the question regarding the blood test? any experiences? the blood test is new rule since dec 2007 apperantly
saymen
Dubai Forums Member

May 02, 2009
Hmm! well as you said it's the new rule since dec 2007, i think their is no Point that it wont be true!... n yes you're right most of the cases have been done becouse of the issue of pragnency!..... ( i think so).......
Sharp
Dubai Expat Helper

May 13, 2009
good to know
chicagoblue
UAE, Dubai Forum starter

May 13, 2009
Okay!!!..........
Sharp
Dubai Expat Helper

Jul 04, 2009
wat is the case f the lady didnt want to be divorced?
I mean the man wants to divorce his wife and they went to the court here n uae and she went crazy and didnt let it 2 happen and theiri origin is from lebanon... and also in lebanon she is not obeying

So i feel its silly i cant believe that nuthng can happen to ma ke this divorce
silent
Dubai Forums Frequenter

Aug 26, 2009
thanks for insights
ewap8
Dubai Forum Visitor

Nov 05, 2009
inter religious marriages are completely allowed and accepted. just be very careful how you go about it. you must have all the necessary paperwork, declarations, power of attorneys, etc. you might need permission letters and such as well. it is a bit more complicated when there is a muslim involved in the marriage, but all is permitted and allowed given that you follow the proper steps the government has outlined for all of us.
DubaiInformationSite
Dubai Forums Enthusiast

Re: Marriage in Dubai Jul 28, 2010
useful info
Quantum
Dubai Expat Wannabe

Re: Marriage In Dubai Jul 28, 2010
nice bro, thx for the info
thelast
Dubai Forums Frequenter

Re: Sep 08, 2010
saymen wrote:is that true that you have to get a blood test done from a government hospital before the marriage?

(((( yes )))

if so, what if the woman is pregnant already and it comes out that she is (a blood test will show this easily)

then the woman can be held responsible for adultery right? is that common procedere?

((( the pregnant women can not marry until Delivery {----- courts rules but churches rules i dont know)))

i mean there are many marriages, because the woman is pregnant and there is no other way but to get married to each other.

((( she can marry after delivery as I said))

can anybody answer the question regarding the blood test? any experiences? the blood test is new rule since dec 2007 apperantly

My answers between the square :)
someonecool
Dubai Forum Visitor

Re: Re: Nov 06, 2010
someonecool wrote:
saymen wrote:is that true that you have to get a blood test done from a government hospital before the marriage?

(((( yes )))

((( the pregnant women can not marry until Delivery {----- courts rules but churches rules i dont know)))

((( she can marry after delivery as I said))

My answers between the square :)

WRONG! If you're pregnant you have to get married BEFORE the delivery! And only locals get blood tests, expats do not have to do this.
Chocoholic
Miss DubaiForums 2005

Re: Marriage In Dubai Mar 28, 2011
Just as what ive need. Thanks for sharing as well as the information.
jiivxil
Dubai Expat Wannabe

Re: Marriage in Dubai May 22, 2011
To be honest I think the blood test is for marriages between locals, because of the tendency to marry within families/cousins etc, they are checking for Thalesemia which is a blood disorder and a big problem here, so both parties must be checked for it. I've never heard of expats being blood tested.
Chocoholic
Miss DubaiForums 2005

Re: Dec 05, 2011
winn wrote:what about inter-religious marriages? :-p

They are allowed if the person agree's to convert to Islam first (Judaism also has the same criteria)
degreereward
Dubai Expat Wannabe

Re: Marriage In Dubai Apr 10, 2012
Sounds nice.
proust
Dubai Expat Wannabe

Re: Marriage In Dubai Apr 10, 2012
Well you can have a non-religious ceremony to get around that. But if either party is muslim and wants a Sharia marriage then the other person, especially the male is expected to convert.
Chocoholic
Miss DubaiForums 2005

posting in Dubai Expat Help ForumForum Rules

Return to Dubai Expat Help Forum