Loud Mosque.....

Topic locked
Loud Mosque..... Nov 06, 2006
The mosque behind our building has recently increased the volume on its speakers. It is much louder than it was before. As a non-muslim, I don't want to be awake from 5 to 6 every morning if I don't have to. Is there anyone I can talk to (ie the mosque or gov office) or anyway that I can get the volume turned down?? Or is it just tough cookies on my part and part of living in a muslim country?

Not trying to be rude or ignorant.

Thanks.

CFAinDubai
Dubai Forum User

Re: Loud Mosque..... Nov 06, 2006
CFAinDubai wrote:The mosque behind our building has recently increased the volume on its speakers. It is much louder than it was before. As a non-muslim, I don't want to be awake from 5 to 6 every morning if I don't have to. Is there anyone I can talk to (ie the mosque or gov office) or anyway that I can get the volume turned down?? Or is it just tough cookies on my part and part of living in a muslim country?

I think the only thing you can safely do is move. I mean, you can go and talk to them, ask nicely and state your case but see your next point...

Some people don't have to try :wink: :wink: :wink: :wink:
^ian^
UAE, Dubai Forums Lord of the posts

Nov 06, 2006
the same was with me when i was in england for holiday, there were 2 churches next to my place and they would ring the bell(call for prayer) early in the morning ;)......i didnt know who to talk to
Bleakus
Dubai Forums Zealot

Nov 06, 2006
For Bleak's case no solution. Bell sounds cannot be adjusted. It will vary but it will depends on the person pulling the bell!

For CF, you'll get used to it! We have a mosque behind our flat. It was really annoying at first but after sometime got used to it. I even used it as an alarm clock before! :wink:
zam
Dubai Master of Thread Hijackers

Nov 06, 2006
We did get used to it...first six months was fine. We would wake up in the moring, then fall back to sleep.

Now, they have cranked the volume and it is very, very loud. No falling back to sleep.

Looks like I am just going to have to start getting up earlier!
CFAinDubai
Dubai Forum User

Nov 06, 2006
Climb up there when no one is looking and shove a pillow in the speaker
mraph33
Dubai Expat Helper

Nov 10, 2006
I have the same problem here in Taiwan where there is a Buddhist temple near by. Every morning at around 6:00 a.m. they start playing these weird and most irritating sounds. I went there one day in the early morning and just sat outside his temple with the horn blowing till they all came out and asked why I was blowing the horn. I said I had wanted to sleep in the early hours of the morning and asked them why they felt bothered by my horn to come out and ask me why I was blowing my horn.. I told them that this was the same reason I had come over as I was very disturbed by their irritating sound every morning. I am a Muslim and believe that it is very irritating if one were to be living next to a Mosque that had loud speakers going off every morning at 4-5:00 A.M. In any civilized country this would be considered noise pollution and one would be find for disturbing the peace. Some how they need to perhaps tone down the morning hour calls for prayers. I believe that things should not be forced upon people.
Stylinexpat
Dubai forums Addict

Nov 10, 2006
Stylinexpat wrote: I went there one day in the early morning and just sat outside his temple with the horn blowing till they all came out and asked why I was blowing the horn. I said I had wanted to sleep in the early hours of the morning and asked them why they felt bothered by my horn to come out and ask me why I was blowing my horn.. I told them that this was the same reason I had come over as I was very disturbed by their irritating sound every morning.

Way to go dude :) Would have love to have seen the looks on there faces :)

The thing is that churches, mosques and temples need a decent head count i don't say this to offend any members of these denominations, but it is true - any cleric, vicar , abbot wants to see a good attendance. The more you can broadcast to pull folks in the better.

One of the only minus i find about the mosque loud speakers is that they use the horn type loudspeaker like you get in a train station which means it always sounds really nasal and sharp - I love the singing myself, its just the biting tone that makes it harsh on the ears. Perhaps if they were to deck out a nice pair of warm bodied toned wharfdales it would be less intrusive.
jabbajabba
Dubai chat master

Re: Loud Mosque..... Nov 10, 2006
CFAinDubai wrote:The mosque behind our building has recently increased the volume on its speakers. It is much louder than it was before. As a non-muslim, I don't want to be awake from 5 to 6 every morning if I don't have to. Is there anyone I can talk to (ie the mosque or gov office) or anyway that I can get the volume turned down?? Or is it just tough cookies on my part and part of living in a muslim country?

Thanks.

Since you're in a muslim country you better get used to it. Mosque is everywhere. I don't think complaining or asking them to lower the volume of the speaker is the best way for you to do. Or, install soundproof inside your room.

Personally, I don't have problems with loud speakers coming from the mosque, as i grew up hearing these things. I remember during my childhood days, if i hear the loud speakers coming from the mosque it means it's already between 4am to 5am (morning prayer varies), then if I hear the catholic bell rings, it means it's already 6am first mass of the day. Now, you can imagine how diverse is the community where i came from. :lol: :lol: :lol:

CF, get used to it. :wink: Speakers coming from the mosque is good for me as i am a morning person, and it serves somehow my alarm clock. :D If you really can't stand it, then i would suggest you to find another place but again, sooner or later another mosque will be built. :wink:

Welcome to DF :wink:
asc_26
Dubai forums GURU

Re: Loud Mosque..... Nov 11, 2006
asc_26 wrote:
CFAinDubai wrote:Now, you can imagine how diverse is the community where i came from. :lol: :lol: :lol:

You come from India... most likely Bombay... Now where is my prize :wink:
KeithL
Dubai Forums Veteran

Re: Loud Mosque..... Nov 11, 2006
KeithL wrote:
asc_26 wrote:
CFAinDubai wrote:Now, you can imagine how diverse is the community where i came from. :lol: :lol: :lol:

You come from India... most likely Bombay... Now where is my prize :wink:

Sorry KeithL I am not from India nor from the South Asia :wink: Should i get from the prize instead? :oops: :lol:
asc_26
Dubai forums GURU

Nov 11, 2006
Thanks for the replies. Much appreciated.

Another question....is it normal to have to whole prayer broadcast or just the call to prayer?
CFAinDubai
Dubai Forum User

Nov 11, 2006
CFAinDubai wrote:Thanks for the replies. Much appreciated.

Another question....is it normal to have to whole prayer broadcast or just the call to prayer?

Usually the AZAN (call to prayer) lasts for 3 to 5 minutes everyday before the prayer will start. On friday, some mosque would broadcast the whole prayer or what we would call it in catholic high mass or homily. If only i can understand fully arabic, i would be glad to listen to their high mass while doing some household chores at home - mosque is only 20 meters aways from our villa. :wink:
asc_26
Dubai forums GURU

Nov 11, 2006
The mosque behind my house broadcasts every call to prayer and every prayer...not just on Friday. Everyday.
CFAinDubai
Dubai Forum User

Nov 11, 2006
CFAinDubai wrote:The mosque behind my house broadcasts every call to prayer and every prayer...not just on Friday. Everyday.

5 times a day, thats perfectly normal
sage & onion
Dubai Shadow Wolf

Nov 11, 2006
sage & onion wrote:
CFAinDubai wrote:The mosque behind my house broadcasts every call to prayer and every prayer...not just on Friday. Everyday.

5 times a day, thats perfectly normal

YES, 5 times a day :wink:
asc_26
Dubai forums GURU

Re: Loud Mosque..... Nov 12, 2006
CFAinDubai wrote:Is there anyone I can talk to (ie the mosque or gov office) or anyway that I can get the volume turned down??

Yes, there is. Talk to an earbuds salesman and buy a couple of them. ;)
xty
Dubai Forums Veteran

posting in Dubai Expat Help ForumForum Rules

Return to Dubai Expat Help Forum