Living Together?

Topic locked
living together? Sep 11, 2006
i've been searching on a few websites but none that seems to address the topic directly.

what exactly is the stance on unmarried couples living together in dubai? i have seen a few postings that said that unmarried couples with children are against the law, but what if we're just living together, no kids?

feddupfish
Dubai Forum Guest

Sep 11, 2006
You are not allowed to live together with a member of the opposite s*e*x unless they are Mother / Father / Brother / Sister, or unless you are married to each other, that is the law, and when found out in violation of the law, the punishment can be extremely harsh.
sage & onion
Dubai Shadow Wolf

Re: living together? Sep 11, 2006
feddupfish wrote:i've been searching on a few websites but none that seems to address the topic directly.

what exactly is the stance on unmarried couples living together in dubai? i have seen a few postings that said that unmarried couples with children are against the law, but what if we're just living together, no kids?

i think there are alot of people who are doing that in dubai, i dont think there is a law stating anything against it!
Bleakus
Dubai Forums Zealot

Bleakus wrote:i think there are alot of people who are doing that in dubai, i dont think there is a law stating anything against it!

There is a difference between existence and enforcement. Just because a law exists doesn't necessarily mean it is enforced.
XRW-147
Dubai Forums Zealot

Bleakus wrote:
feddupfish wrote:i've been searching on a few websites but none that seems to address the topic directly.

i think there are alot of people who are doing that in dubai, i dont think there is a law stating anything against it!

You are absolutely incorrect, the law clearly forbids unmarried cohabitation, just because people are doing it doesn't make it legal.
And of course their never is a problem unless their is a problem.
sage & onion
Dubai Shadow Wolf

Sep 11, 2006
Unmarried couples of any nationality cannot live together in the UAE.

Yeah, there are lots of unwed couple living together here, there would be no problem, i guess, if nobody is complaining against you, but if someone tipped the authority, you will be subjected to some sort of surveillance and then if proven then you're in big trouble.
weary_heart
Dubai Forums Veteran

Sep 11, 2006
weary_heart wrote:Unmarried couples of any nationality cannot live together in the UAE.

Yeah, there are lots of unwed couple living together here, there would be no problem, i guess, if nobody is complaining against you, but if someone tipped the authority, you will be subjected to some sort of surveillance and then if proven then you're in big trouble.

Big trouble can mean jail time followed by deportation (in chains)
sage & onion
Dubai Shadow Wolf

Sep 11, 2006
sage & onion wrote:
weary_heart wrote:Unmarried couples of any nationality cannot live together in the UAE.

Big trouble can mean jail time followed by deportation (in chains)

oh btw, if they will be in jail, are they gonna be whipped during fridays?
weary_heart
Dubai Forums Veteran

Sep 11, 2006
^^ they will be whiped only if the court has ordered it,

u cant be whiped at random at fridays
xibit
Dubai forums Addict

Sep 11, 2006
how do you guys know if they get whipped or not?
Bleakus
Dubai Forums Zealot

Sep 11, 2006
i only personally know of one instance, but that happened in RAK
40 lashes.... :lol: well actually not something to laugh about

damn... i posted a lot of links earlier in response to the question, but somehow they vanished into the "great beyond" that is the internet.

use the search function at the top of the page, there are about 10 previous threads covering this topic in quiet a bit of depth
dbxsoul
Honored Member

post a sticky! Sep 12, 2006
i finally found the discussion topics that i was looking for.

there's a useful posting that would have answered my question (and probably another five thousand other couples 'living in sin') if it was made a sticky!

thanks for the feedback here - we used to live together in malaysia, where islam is the national religion, but fortunately the legal system is not based on syariah law. so non-muslims were not governed by the syariah law. just thought that it MIGHT be the same in dubai, but guess not.
feddupfish
Dubai Forum Guest

Re: post a sticky! Sep 12, 2006
feddupfish wrote:i finally found the discussion topics that i was looking for.

there's a useful posting that would have answered my question (and probably another five thousand other couples 'living in sin') if it was made a sticky!

thanks for the feedback here - we used to live together in malaysia, where islam is the national religion, but fortunately the legal system is not based on syariah law. so non-muslims were not governed by the syariah law. just thought that it MIGHT be the same in dubai, but guess not.

Good luck in the future
sage & onion
Dubai Shadow Wolf

posting in Dubai Expat Help ForumForum Rules

Return to Dubai Expat Help Forum