Living Laws/partners Etc

Topic locked
Living laws/partners etc Jan 21, 2009
hey guys,

moving to Dubai in February, and keen to find out the laws regarding my partner moving out with me. It is to my knowledge that she can obtain a holiday visa for upto 60 days, but would this be a problem if she stays permanently?

Also, she is a qualified international Beauty Therapist. Would there be restrictions against her looking for work whilst in Dubai?

Any info is greatly appreciated.

Thanks guys

Johnlee

johnlee23
Dubai Expat Wannabe

Jan 21, 2009
Hi there, I think I answered the first part of your query under another thread.

She would be able to travel on a visit visa and with the renewal restrictions as per the passport that she carries – which at this stage is not indefinite renewal.

You would not be able to sponsor her (for residency) as you are unmarried. She would need to find her own job and take residency sponsorship from the company that supplies her with a Labour Card. Pretty much the same situation that you would be in.

Tell her to have her qualifications attested before she travels, in her industry CIBTAC or CIDESCO would be good to have and probably much higher than the general standard. Word of caution though it’s that “beauty salon” work is not very well paid; she may have to look at other alternatives, but within the same sphere.
dbxsoul
Honored Member

Jan 21, 2009
Thanks for this info.

My boss has just mentioned that visit visa's are now only stamped for 30 days at a time, whereas I was informed the maximum was initially 60 days.

Can anyone shed any light on this?
johnlee23
Dubai Expat Wannabe

Re: Living laws/partners etc Jan 21, 2009
johnlee23 wrote:hey guys,

moving to Dubai in February, and keen to find out the laws regarding my partner moving out with me. It is to my knowledge that she can obtain a holiday visa for upto 60 days, but would this be a problem if she stays permanently?

Also, she is a qualified international Beauty Therapist. Would there be restrictions against her looking for work whilst in Dubai?

Any info is greatly appreciated.

Thanks guys

Johnlee

why dont you both get married and come here. Makes it easier. Mind you they raid lots of places - so you would not be able to sleep at night knowing that the cops would come to your door anytime.

one couple recently got jailed and deported. someone at your company might turn you in. or at the airport. take no chances buddy......
michaeldubai
Dubai forums Addict

Jan 22, 2009
johnlee23 wrote:My boss has just mentioned that visit visa's are now only stamped for 30 days at a time, whereas I was informed the maximum was initially 60 days.

Visit visas for the 33 visa on arrival countries are 60 days. Other sorts of visit visas are 30, 60, or 90 days depending on what the visit is for. Tourist visas are 30 days.
bonk
Dubai Master of Thread Hijackers

Re: Living laws/partners etc Jan 22, 2009
michaeldubai wrote:one couple recently got jailed and deported.

For living together? Or getting drunk and playing in the sand?

There are many topics in the forum about living together. A summary is it is illegal, many people do it anyway, if you don't advertise it you probably won't get in trouble. Police don't spend their days and nights knocking on doors and asking for marriage certificates.
bonk

Re: Living laws/partners etc Jan 22, 2009
bonk wrote:
michaeldubai wrote:one couple recently got jailed and deported.

For living together? Or getting drunk and playing in the sand?

There are many topics in the forum about living together. A summary is it is illegal, many people do it anyway, if you don't advertise it you probably won't get in trouble. Police don't spend their days and nights knocking on doors and asking for marriage certificates.

yes they dont - but they will if your neighbour, friend, office colleague doesnt take a liking to you ---- right? someone can always take the moral ground and make an issue as before......
michaeldubai
Dubai forums Addict

Re: Living laws/partners etc Jan 24, 2009
michaeldubai wrote:but they will if your neighbour, friend, office colleague doesnt take a liking to you ---- right?

I can't speak for the police. My opinion is they might rather than would. If they did that every time someone took a dislike to an unmarried couple, I think there would be a lot more couples in trouble than there are. That said, couples who live together where one of them has a married partner (on paper, doesn't matter if they're separated) in the country, are at much higher risk of problems if the spouse complains to police - there's a British woman in jail for adultery at present as an example of that.
bonk

Jan 31, 2009
Visit visas for the 33 visa on arrival countries are 60 days. Other sorts of visit visas are 30, 60, or 90 days depending on what the visit is for. Tourist visas are 30 days.

Mrs Scratcher recently only received a 30 day stamp and she is from one of the 33 countries. Last week we went to the DNRD office who confirmed only 30 day visit visa stamps are now applicable for all
Scratcher
Dubai Forums Enthusiast

Feb 01, 2009
It might say 30 days, but it will be for 60. One of my friends is on a visit visa and had that, plus she still managed to do the old fashioned visa run to get it renewed.
Chocoholic
Miss DubaiForums 2005

Feb 01, 2009
Chocoholic wrote:It might say 30 days, but it will be for 60. One of my friends is on a visit visa and had that, plus she still managed to do the old fashioned visa run to get it renewed.

I believe that this is correct, the 30 days for the allowed Nationalities is automatically extended for a further 30 days.
sage & onion
Dubai Shadow Wolf

Feb 01, 2009
That was the case in the past, I would go to the DNRD office and they would confirm that the stamp was indeed valid for 60 days......but this time at the DNRD offices it was confirmed to me that only 30 day visit visas are now being used. The options were to pay for a 30 day extension or leave the country.

Scratcher
Scratcher
Dubai Forums Enthusiast

Feb 01, 2009
Scratcher wrote:That was the case in the past, I would go to the DNRD office and they would confirm that the stamp was indeed valid for 60 days......but this time at the DNRD offices it was confirmed to me that only 30 day visit visas are now being used. The options were to pay for a 30 day extension or leave the country.

Scratcher

That is certainly news to me
sage & onion
Dubai Shadow Wolf

Feb 01, 2009
Yes now visit visas are for 30 days only...with extension for another 30...as for your question johnlee...ur partner can only come on a visit...if u get married and then meet the min salary requirements then u can sponsor her!
tanzy80
Dubai Forums Member

Feb 01, 2009
sage & onion wrote:
Scratcher wrote:That was the case in the past, I would go to the DNRD office and they would confirm that the stamp was indeed valid for 60 days......but this time at the DNRD offices it was confirmed to me that only 30 day visit visas are now being used. The options were to pay for a 30 day extension or leave the country.

Scratcher

That is certainly news to me

......and it was news to me too. :shock:

Scratcher
Scratcher
Dubai Forums Enthusiast

Feb 02, 2009
Yep news to me too!

Eh the authorities turn a blind eye to couples living together,so long as you don't annoy the neighbours or make a pain of yourselves.
Chocoholic
Miss DubaiForums 2005

Feb 02, 2009
Chocoholic wrote:Yep news to me too!

Eh the authorities turn a blind eye to couples living together,so long as you don't annoy the neighbours or make a pain of yourselves.

I can never agree that this is good advice to offer, you can get in serious trouble here with the authorities if you come up against the wrong person.
This subject has been gone over time and time again.
sage & onion
Dubai Shadow Wolf

posting in Dubai Expat Help ForumForum Rules

Return to Dubai Expat Help Forum