Living In Dubai - What's It Like?

Topic locked
Living in Dubai - What's it like? Jun 01, 2007
Hi,

I currently live in the UK with my husband and 1 year old son. We have been to Dubai many times and we are thinking of coming out to live possibly at the end of this year.
Of course I have some worries (just me being my general self nothing major!) but also am so excited at the prospect.

What's it like living in Dubai? Is it fun? Cheap? Expensive? I have visions of me sipping cocktails at the Madinat Souk of a Saturday evening!!!!

Also, we would like to start off renting a place on Jumeirah but I can never find any property available here, it's always the Palm or Marina where I dont really want to be. So, if anyone knows where I can find this, this would be fab!

Any advice or comments would be really appreciated
Thanks !

ZoeD
Dubai Forum Visitor

Jun 01, 2007
Fun? Yes
Cheap? Yes if you eat at Ravis
Expensive? Yes

Jumeirah is popular for accommodation. Try Mirdiff, but anywhere is difficult. Or wait till 2008/2009.
bonk
Dubai Master of Thread Hijackers

Jun 01, 2007
Thank you!!
ZoeD
Dubai Forum Visitor

Jun 01, 2007
You've been visiting Dubai many times, so I guess you know a little bit how it is like, prices, environment, etc. Unless you visited more than 5 years ago or you were only staying in hotel. That would be totally different ;)
xty
Dubai Forums Veteran

Jun 02, 2007
Many people who live in the UK fall in love with the idea of Jumeirah but be aware that - as it's a more traditional area - there are mosques every couple of kilometres or so and my friends who live there grow very tired of the 4:30am prayer calls.

Lakes, Springs, Arabian Ranches all have villas up for rent and are generally more "Westerner friendly".

And it's expensive to rent in any of the areas you or I have mentioned, other living costs (cars, weekly shop, eating out etc.) generally cheaper than the UK.
scot1870
Dubai Expat Helper

Jun 02, 2007
scot1870 wrote:Many people who live in the UK fall in love with the idea of Jumeirah but be aware that - as it's a more traditional area - there are mosques every couple of kilometres or so and my friends who live there grow very tired of the 4:30am prayer calls.

Lakes, Springs, Arabian Ranches all have villas up for rent and are generally more "Westerner friendly".

And it's expensive to rent in any of the areas you or I have mentioned, other living costs (cars, weekly shop, eating out etc.) generally cheaper than the UK.

I agree with Scott, also what's the point of paying rent when you can purchase. This option is so far not available in Jumairah, on the other hand if your name is Jane, you may prefer the area :wink:
sage & onion
Dubai Shadow Wolf

Jun 02, 2007
scot1870 wrote:there are mosques every couple of kilometres or so and my friends who live there grow very tired of the 4:30am prayer calls.

Don't live in the mosque then?
bonk
Dubai Master of Thread Hijackers

Jun 02, 2007
Thank you for your responses - very much appreciated!

It's good to have some feedback. Mainly because we have always stayed in hotels and i know that the reality of living somewhere isnt going to be how it is on holiday!

Cant wait to come over and get out of England!
ZoeD
Dubai Forum Visitor

Jun 03, 2007
Dubai is the best place if you are not interested in history, in walking in the streets, walking at all, going to traditional old stores, nice (mild) weather, art, culture, anything other than malls with the same stores you find anywhere else in the world,....so if you want something complete different from UK or any other place in Europe, come to Dubai.
galero
Dubai Forum Visitor

Living in Dubai Jun 03, 2007
I came to Dubai from the UK in 2001 (via a number of other places over the years on the way) and I would say if all you are thinking of is cocktails at the Madinat then you're probably better off leaving this as a holdiay destination. I live in Jumeirah and love the mosques (you get used to the 4.30am thing - and Friday prayers can be quite an enjoyable background to a nice cold bottle of Cloudy Bay) but you also need to consider that without a decent job this can be a place that leaves you without too much cash to spare for fun; do the sumsm properly first, especially if you have a child as you will have to pay for their school, healthcare etc etc as well.
johnthemac
Dubai Forum Guest

Jun 04, 2007
I quite enjoy the prayer calls, particularly around mid-day and 5-6pm time, when the day is just winding down and you're sitting on the front porch, chillin'...

Call me weird.

Ross :D
rossbaku
Dubai Forums Talker

posting in Dubai Expat Help ForumForum Rules

Return to Dubai Expat Help Forum