Living In Dubai

Topic locked
Living in Dubai Feb 04, 2006
Hello there,

Anybody please help advise.

Total monthly income 4,672.89 DH is sufficient for one person to live in Dubai?

Thank you very much.

Nung
:wink:

nungruethai
Dubai Expat Wannabe

Feb 04, 2006
Without supplied accomodation, not really I think you would struggle alot. Bearing in mind even studio flats costs a bomb. Even sharing could cost you around 2,000Dhs a month.
Chocoholic
Miss DubaiForums 2005

Feb 04, 2006
Thank you very much for your kind info.

If this amount is excluded of accommodation, can I survive with it? And can I collect some money when deducting food expenses and other neccessary expenses as tissue, soap, shampoo or etc.?

Please advise.

Thank you very much

Nung
:D
nungruethai
Dubai Expat Wannabe

Feb 04, 2006
Strange thing to leave out of ya salary package. What ya gonna do in lieu of doing this at home? :roll:

Again, it really all depends on what lifestyle you lead. Please give us a bit more info before you ask questions as nobody knows anything about you.

Oh, before I forget, thats a hell of a precise salary you are getting!
yorky500
Dubai forums GURU

Feb 04, 2006
Well, I have a job offered, working as an office staff in Dubai. The company would provide free accommodation, free gasoline, free medical, and free insurance against injury.

I usually don’t go out at night, especially in a country where I’m not used to. That means I would spend most of my time between office and house.

In Thailand, It’s quite a huge amount, but I’m not quite sure what the real life is living in Dubai. What if I cook? Would the cost of living be less?

Again, please advise.

Nung
:lol:
nungruethai
Dubai Expat Wannabe

Feb 05, 2006
Food varies in price. The cheapest supermarket would be Union Coop but even then I think you are going to find it expensive compared with a wet market in Thailand. Takeaway varies too, but a fried rice will set you back about DH12. A cup of two minute noodles is around DH2, but hardly something to live on. If you say what you usually eat and I can check prices for you- check out the cost of living post below because I've listed the price of some items. You also mentioned free gas, what about the transport??
GAB
Dubai Forums Veteran

Feb 05, 2006
Well, thank you very much for your kind info. Basically, my main course is cooked rice eating with omelet, cooked veggies, meat, pork or soup and etc. I can have a hamburger or a cup of two minute noodles as you mentioned sometimes. It seems I would struggle a lot living there, wouldn’t I?

By the way, the company provides a shared car for staff.

Thank you very much again.

Nung
:roll:
nungruethai
Dubai Expat Wannabe

Feb 05, 2006
In that case, your salary is pretty decent....
Liban
Dubai Forums Zealot

Feb 05, 2006
yorky500 wrote:Oh, before I forget, thats a hell of a precise salary you are getting!

HAHAHAHAHA i was thinking the same thing i think you should be able to negotiate it up to 4673 lol.

Seriously though are you getting paid in a different currency? if you are and it isn't US you may have to factor in future exchange rates into the mix. (i'm making the assumption that you're getting paid in Baht or something and the current conversion works out to your posted AED salary)

Just to give you an example my salary changed by a considerable amount (~20%) since moving here because i don't get paid in AED or a mapped currency to it.
fayz
Dubai Forums Knight
Location: take a left at the Bebsi interchange, that is the Bebsi interchange

Feb 05, 2006
Hello Liban,

Is that true? Or you just said sarcastically. I need your confirmation before making a decision.

Thank you.

Nung
:shock:
nungruethai
Dubai Expat Wannabe

Feb 05, 2006
The money is basically disposable income from what I see in your posts since your essentials are all covered. Of course I am serious and it is quite enough.
Liban
Dubai Forums Zealot

Feb 05, 2006
Thank you very much for your kind advise, Liban.

And thank you, too, Fayz

At first the company offered me in Baht (that’s 50,000 Baht). And it comes up approximately 4,672.89 AED. But one of my colleagues who has already singed the contract said they mentioned a salary in AED in the contract. So, I would get paid in AED for sure.

Nung
:P
nungruethai
Dubai Expat Wannabe

Feb 05, 2006
Again Liban,

Do you think I can collect some money after deducting my economized expenses on food?

Nung

nungruethai
Dubai Expat Wannabe

Feb 05, 2006
nungruethai wrote:Again Liban,

Do you think I can collect some money after deducting my economized expenses on food?

Nung

You mean for tax purposes?? If so, there is no income tax in this country (though I bet there is some deeply hidden sales tax in there somewhere)...
Liban
Dubai Forums Zealot

Feb 05, 2006
Liban,

I didn't mean for tax purposes, I mean to save myself some money. Is that’s possible?

Nung

nungruethai
Dubai Expat Wannabe

Feb 08, 2006
I would think so jung, but it wouldnt be large savings just somthing for a rainy day or when somthing catches you unaware, like visa bill or plane ticket or something, or maybe somthing nice for yourself.
boostah
Dubai Forums Enthusiast

Feb 08, 2006
Liban wrote:You mean for tax purposes?? If so, there is no income tax in this country (though I bet there is some deeply hidden sales tax in there somewhere)...

Liban, I think Nung means deduction as in salary less he/she's spent on food etc.
XRW-147
Dubai Forums Zealot

Feb 08, 2006
Nung, as what Liban has said it seems your essentials (lodging and transport etc) are covered so you should be able to do fine here, as well as save some money. Some of my friends working at the Dusit and various foodcourts and Thai restaurants are earning only 2000-3000 aed per month and still manage to survive. If anything its good experience.

Prob the most important thing is to check on the condition of the accomodation - whether you're sharing one room with other ppl etc.
XRW-147
Dubai Forums Zealot

posting in Dubai Expat Help ForumForum Rules

Return to Dubai Expat Help Forum