Learning To Drive

Topic locked
Learning to Drive Nov 16, 2007
Hi,

I'm moving to Dubai in early Jan for about 9 months and currently do not have a driving license. I have been taking lessons in the UK but have found I am unable to book a test before I move to Duabi.

I wanted to know what the process is for obtaining a Dubai driving license? How quickly will I be able to obtain one? I'm going to be working full time while over there so will need evening/weekend lessons - will this be possible to arrange? What will I need to bring with me? Is there a minimum number of lessons I will have to take?

Sorry for all the questions - I will be very grateful for any help!

Stevebo
Dubai Forum Guest

Nov 16, 2007
:( whoa ...

dubai is definitly not the place where you want to take driving lessons!

firstly the instruction companies wil fleece as much money out of you as possible, i think that you have to have done something like 24 lessons before they will book a test for you.

secondly, the standard of instruction is pathetic, bordering on criminal.

i had an office assitant who had over a hundred lessons over 2 years, took the test about 6 times before they gave him a license and then had 4 accidents in the first week of driving!

if at all humanly possible try and take the test in the uk before getting here, even if you have to take it in another town. you can then simply be issued (convert) to a uae drivers lisence on the basis of your uk once you arrive.
dbxsoul
Honored Member

Nov 17, 2007
dbxsoul wrote::( whoa ...

firstly the instruction companies wil fleece as much money out of you as possible, i think that you have to have done something like 24 lessons before they will book a test for you.

i had an office assitant who had over a hundred lessons over 2 years, took the test about 6 times before they gave him a license and then had 4 accidents in the first week of driving!

if at all humanly possible try and take the test in the uk before getting here, even if you have to take it in another town. you can then simply be issued (convert) to a uae drivers lisence on the basis of your uk once you arrive.

It would probably be worth it to fly back to UK for the test.

Is their a minimum time that you have to be holding the UK licence before they will give you the Dubai equivalent?
sage & onion
Dubai Shadow Wolf

Nov 17, 2007
Book a week intensive cause in the UK and get your license. Don't rely on getting it in Dubai.
XPClone
Dubai forums Addict

Nov 21, 2007
XPClone wrote:Book a week intensive cause in the UK and get your license. Don't rely on getting it in Dubai.

+ 1 on that one

The driving schools here suck
KeithL
Dubai Forums Veteran

Dec 02, 2007
sage & onion wrote:

Help!
I'm Malaysian and have a Malaysia driving license.
Can I convert a Malaysia driving license to an UAE driving license?
Or would I need to retake my driving lessons all over again????
:shock:
nuyu
Dubai Expat Wannabe

Dec 05, 2007
They judge you by the passport not the license. I have 4 licenses and an asian passport and they wanted me to do the full course. I had to argue and prove my case. Anyway I did just the test and passed. It wasnt that difficult.

I have also posted previously re my experience here.
BabyDoll
Dubai chat master

Dec 27, 2007
dbxsoul wrote:i had an office assitant who had over a hundred lessons over 2 years, took the test about 6 times before they gave him a license and then had 4 accidents in the first week of driving!

Two years and 100 lessons wasn't enough then :wink: ?

This might be useful also - Dubai driving license.
bonk
Dubai Master of Thread Hijackers

Dec 28, 2007

No offence to you, but your office assistant is a nincompoop.
gtmash
Dubai forums GURU

Dec 30, 2007
gtmash wrote:No offence to you, but your office assistant is a nincompoop.

LOL!!!!!

Hi. I would take my test in the UK if I was you. Its a lot easier to pass in the UK (speaking from experience) and in my opnion a UK license holds more credibility.
However, I think there are certain laws on using your UK license in another country (i.e you have to be over 21 and you have to have had your license for 3 years) but dont quote me on this.
Nevertheless, I wish you luck.
mighty.one
Dubai forums Addict

Jan 23, 2008
nuyu wrote:
Help!
I'm Malaysian and have a Malaysia driving license.
Can I convert a Malaysia driving license to an UAE driving license?
Or would I need to retake my driving lessons all over again????
:shock:

already get your license? I'm also from malaysia.. will move to dubai end of february.. I also plan to get driving license in Dubai
cddin
Dubai Forum Guest

Jan 24, 2008
a weird OT question
does dubai driving licenses have the persons date of birth on there?
cheap_Deal
Dubai forums Addict

Jan 24, 2008
cheap_Deal wrote:does dubai driving licenses have the persons date of birth on there?

Not on mine.
bonk

Jan 24, 2008
thats what i thought too as i noticed someones license. when did you get yours bonk?

so basically the dubai license cannot be used for proof of age, lol
cheap_Deal
Dubai forums Addict

Jan 25, 2008
cheap_Deal wrote:when did you get yours bonk?

I made it myself yesterday :).
bonk

posting in Dubai Expat Help ForumForum Rules

Return to Dubai Expat Help Forum